Random Cool Tricks

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meat, Dec 14, 2016.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

[​IMG]
    That's how you start kids out with a love of fishing.

2. hot diggity

[​IMG]
    The doors of the C-17 Corrosion Control Hanger at Hickam Air Force Base on Oahu were specifically made to be fitted around the large aft of a Globemaster III

Gray Wolf, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  3. hot diggity

[​IMG]
    Transport wheels. I've seen the damage that old tractors do to the lawn and road without them. Might work in the field with them on, but only 8 bolts a side to take them off. Makes the ride much smoother as well.

Gator 45/70, Seawolf1090 and SB21 like this.
  4. hot diggity

5. hot diggity

6. hot diggity

7. hot diggity

8. hot diggity

9. hot diggity

10. hot diggity

11. hot diggity

Here's another of those "don't try this at home" tricks when you have to get the job done. I have several stubborn pieces of lawn and garden equipment that will wear you out trying to start them the first time. After that initial start they start on the first little pull. I haven't the time, inclination or flexibility to fiddle with the carburetors and chokes to learn what it is that will make them start easily.

I have another more primitive solution that works every time. I drape a gasoline soaked rag over the air cleaner housing. The air filter and cover are still in place so backfire is unlikely. All of these beasts like the fuel air mixture provided by the rag and start right up. Even mowers that had plugged up fuel jets start this way. This tells me all is well with the ignition and that the fuel system is the issue. Strategy based diagnosis.

If the engine was to backfire or a spark set the rag ablaze it's simple enough to brush it off into the grass. It's in the category of field expedient emergency procedures. Like using burning newspaper is a flame heater in big diesels and slamming batteries post to post to jump start a car that must move NOW! Things that require practice to be comfortable with, while giving their inherent dangers due respect.

Not comfortable with it? Keep yanking on that starter rope. I've got stuff that's got to get done.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. hot diggity

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We did that one day for a broken down ambulance we found on the side of old 90, Soaked a rag lightly with gasoline and draped it over the intake, Did I mention this was a diesel engine? It fired on the first crank we whipped the gas soaked rag off
    The other ambulance dude slammed the hood and off they went lights a blazing, Not even a thank you we received for our troubles.

Tully Mars, SB21 and hot diggity like this.
  14. hot diggity

15. hot diggity

16. hot diggity

17. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Anyone else hear Anakin laughing at Charlton or am I just warped?

18. hot diggity

View attachment 90966
    Two neat tricks with M1 Garand enbloc clips. The two round clip and the S.L.E.D. (Single Load Enabling Device). Very handy for M1 shooters.

You can make your own if you're handy with power tools, but as I was warned, "They're hard as woodpecker lips." You'll need good drill bits and a narrow cut-off wheel. The bending is challenging too! Not much risk of bending this stuff too far. Just watch the sharp edges. ;)

I've seen these two and a five round clip offered online for far less than I'd charge to make any one of them. If you can find them it'll save a lot of trouble to buy your first set. Then you can measure from them if you really want to try making them.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. hot diggity

20. hot diggity

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7