Post Apocalypse Job Search

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by F. Ticious, Mar 19, 2012.

1. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

What a kind thing to say, Mr.Dawg. I have been so very busy but this really doesn't take much effort for day to day living in the spring and early summer, it's preparing for the leaner months that I am most concerned with at the moment; I am trying to find ways to preserve food that will supplement a diet of fish, fowl, and rodents, although I have been getting pretty good at getting turkeys to answer my calls. They are very tricky birds and I have only managed to shoot one so far and I did not call it; it just sort of walked under my tree-house while I was relaxing and enjoying the shadows of leaves and I was able to shoot it with my revolver. Are buzzards good to eat?

2. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

I am sorry if I upset your digestive track, Mr. Brokor. Are you a salesman? or is that something entirely different? I noticed the spelling is not that of a merchant, but thought it might be a play on words? Do you fancy yourself a dealer, Mr. Brokor? Testing fate with questions?Do you make deals with the devil that you do not believe in? I appreciate the advice for harvesting wild bee honey; I shall devise a smudge of sorts, to subdue the bees, per your suggestion. I wonder if I could capture a hive and start my own boxes? I still have barn lumber. I love honey. I am drinking my antihistamine infusion and fortifying myself for the harvest.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hey Frank, are things settled down well enough that you can afford to loosen up on light and noise discipline? If those weed farmers had others interested in the crop, you could be exposed--.

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That was most fortunate for you Frank. The bible tells us "For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving" but as a friend very recently said to me, "..........like the distance between bugs and guavas; you can eat either one of them but one definately has a better flavor."

I have never personally eaten a buzzard but I have had many turkeys. Where buzzard eat carrion, I would have to be on the skinny side to undertake that, but that's just me. How hungry are you Frank?

5. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

I am not hungry at all, Ms RH but thank you for asking. My turtle traps are working very well and so are my crawfish traps. I frequently supplement my diet with berries, and assorted vegetation, such as cat-til tubars and stalks, Poke Weed, dandelion, wild asparagus, squirrels, a turkey, fish, pretty much on demand, and I am reasonably sure I can kill a wild hog as soon as I think I can manage to preserve a fair amount of it by smoking. There apparently is a lot of work involved with preparing pork for long-term storage by smoking or salt curing.

6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

it's good to hear that you have come so far in such a short length of time. I think we were all a little worried about in when you first joined us but your willingness to ask questions, take advise, and experiment has brought you far. You're inventive and creative in your thinking which is a necessity in your circumstances. It's always a pleasure when you stop by and let us know how things are progressing. I think that you have taught us more than we have taught you.

I take it you haven't had an opportunity to use the bear gall bladder yet??? That redhead sure looked promising

7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Better plant an apple tree

Better plant an apple tree too....roast pork goes better with apple sauce.....

Traditional Apple Sauce Recipe - Taste.com.au

youtube video on preserving ham and bacon...start 1:08 minute in.

Preserving Meat Series - Salt Curing Hams and Bacons Part 1 - YouTube

8. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

This has been a most eventful Summer so far. I now have a functioning electrical turbine that provides enough electricity to have lights in the cave for a few hours at a time. I have preserved a quantity of foods, even managing to can some items in jars I found in debris piles along the river. I was very fortunate to have found a tree that at first, I thought was a black berry tree but eventually discovered that it is called a Mulberry and they are delicious! I made preserves! I think the one thing I miss most is store bought bread.
    And now, I am about to embark on a new adventure! I plan a journey in a couple of days. I am going to paddle and pole my kayak up river all the way to the ruins of Columbus, Georgia to see what is left of civilization.

9. Smitty

Smitty Monkey+

Good to know you're all right Frank. Be careful when you head up river, been having a lot of rain lately.

10. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Stay off of Victory Drive. There never has been much civilization in that vicinity of Columbus.

11. Take plenty clean water, it's running hot this year. Closer you get to "civilizations ruins" the more likely the water will be not so good.

Stay safe.

Thad

12. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

Being as you are probably a rich guy,and have a cave with bats.
    Shouldnt your screen name be"Bruce Wayne"?
    Matt

13. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

The river is a bit high with all the rains we have been having. It may be several days before I am able to embark on my scouting mission. I have purified several bottles of water for my trip and made some excellent jerky from a cow that met an unfortunate ending recently. I am limited to what I can carry in my small boat, but will try to carry samples of my bat poop and cannabis indica to possibly establish trade with the survivors. Naturally, I will have one of my rifles or possibly the shotgun and handguns to defend myself and my barter, should I meet more of the zombies. Oh, Ms. RH? I am taking that bear gallbladder too!
    Molly will remain here to watch the cave and Mr. Ghrits will accompany me for vessel security, should I decide to leave the river to explore a bit.

14. RightHand

We will be most anxious to get your trip report. You have demonstrated that you put thought into your endeavors so I am sure you have considered the difficulties that may arise in the coming days. Is Mr Ghrits caged or free to roam the boat?

15. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

Mr. Grits has accompanied me on numerous fishing and frogging trips: He is quite the adept boat skunk! He sits in my lap with his paws on the edge of the cockpit, sometimes he will swim along side and I did not even know that skunks could swim. I am making him a small shaded deck that will attach to the top of the kayak so he can be a bit more comfortable during our trip. He likes to crawl around inside the boat but he tries to eat everything there so I mostly discourage this.

16. RightHand

It will be interesting to see if any of your Billboards have survived, assuming they were in the Columbus area. If they remain, you may be recognized as the great unseen force of the universe.

17. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Frank? You didn't shoot one of those cows did you?

18. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

It was absolutely self-defense, Mr. Seacowboys, and I had no choice; it was shoot or be trampled by a charging cow! I was crossing the cow field approaching a pond, where I sometimes catch frogs for dinner, and this raging cow, bellowing like a demon from bovine purgatory, came charging after me. I turned to run for the nearest tree, but then I saw Molly racing towards the cow in an attempt to save me, no doubt. But if you remember, Molly is a bit cross-eyed? It was from when I first encountered her, might even have been the same cow that chased me up her tree, now that I think of it, but I was a little startled by her grin (It looks just like her snarl), and I hit her in the head with my stick and her eyes never quite returned to the proper alignment.
    Anyway, back to the raging cow....as I mentioned, Molly is a bit cross-eyed so while charging the cow to defend me, she veered the wrong direction and ran head-on into a fence post and cow was almost upon us and knew I had no choice but to shoot the beast. I might have just shot to wound but I was carrying my Uzi and it is only automatic and I suppose, that in the excitement of the moment, I forgot to release the trigger and dumped a whole 32 round magazine into old Bossy and now she is jerky, end of story. (Molly is particularly fond of beast jerky)

STANGF150 and RightHand like this.
  19. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Frank, I'm surprised at you! As. Lawyer you should know better. I have to assume you have taken depositions and you have been deposed, you NEVER volunteer information.

1) (S)He threatened my life.
    2) I have never been so scared in my life.
    3) There was nowhere left for me to retreat to (if necessary depending on jurisdiction).
    and finally,
    4) Make DAMNED sure there's only one story to tell...which it sounds like you did.

20. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

He hasn't got anybody to tell his story to. In Frank's world, courts do not exist any longer.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7