Peak Oil- what it is and how it will impact your life

Discussion in 'Peak Oil' started by Minuteman, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

It was me...lol I just made an edit to your post that dosent require your password.
    Look at the buttons across the top after you hit reply its the one that looks like a cartoon text balloon.
    Then type between the quote words.

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I cheated.... I called the IT God where I used to work and gave him remote access to my computer. It was either that or.... wait until next month so I could take another ACE class at the community center where I took the internet search and Microsoft Word classes.... we used to use Corel or something at work so I needed to learn Word.
    --
    What I had been doing was going online using keywords to search for websites that paralleled something I was posting that wasn't from a journal that nobody could get into. Then I'd read it... if it was a hit.... I'd open up a word document and cut and paste the url into it then space once to make it turn blue so it would be clickable. Then I'd cut and paste the text I wanted to share from it.... just a sentence or 2 with a direct link to the source so I wasn't stealing.... the fair use doctrine only goes so far and that's one thing I learned from my own documents.... employers will go jugular over intellectual property rights and legal starts by sending out nasty grams. Anywho.... I'd turn the excerpt into italics and add quotations in Word so hopefully.... everyone could always differentiate between what were my words and the words of somebody else.... similar to turning scientific names into italics so I knew how to do that. Then I'd cut and paste the blue url and the coupla sentences into the post where I was typing. What a pain. I type pretty fast now but opening and closing word so I could get the URLs to turn blue and get the excerpts in italics between quotations was a pain.
    --
    Here's what he did for me that helped while I watched him use my mouse, [*QUOTE*]cut and paste your excerpt or what another member typed here that you want to reference[*/QUOTE*] now place your mouse behind each asterisk then backspace removing all asterisks then click the go advanced radio button and your excerpt or quoted content will appear in a quotation box. He said better yet.... cut and paste an excerpt directly into the message box then highlight the text and click the quote box icon. He told me the multiple quotes in one post would be easy enough for me to figure out now that I had the basics. Me thinks the IT God has a lot more experience with computer illiterates dependent on dictaphones that started out using microfiche then IBM dinosaur computers than you folk do. ;) Thanks for trying everybody... it WAS me not you guys.
    --
    Quigly> Totally sorry you were reduced to "doctoring" my posts.

3. Quigley_Sharps

No worries I was hoping you would edit and see what I had done for a hands approach to help you out.

4. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I seriously had no idea the one post had been edited until somebody commented and now I look back and see they're pretty much all edited. I'm definitely not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to stuff like this soooo please.... everyone let me know if anyone's editing so I've got a heads up to go back and look for help.... I can certainly use all the help I can get! ;)
    --
    Is there an explainer somewhere of what all the little icons do for us?

5. Quigley_Sharps

Hover your mouse over them and the name will appear.

6. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Well folks, once again we watch the price of crude climb. Setting new highs nearly every day. For months analysts and pundits have been comparing this trend to 2008. But once again we keep hearing the same mantra we heard then. The Saudi's will boost output to keep a lid on the price.

That may have been possible to do in the 80's, even into the 90's, but it never happened in '08 and it isn't going to happen now either.
    The day of the mega fields and the ability to simply "ramp up" production to compensate for wild fluctuations in price, to supplement the world supplies lost to unrest in Libya, Egypt etc. are gone.

The fact is that the worlds oilfields are producing at or very near to maximum output now, and still just barely keeping up with ever growing world demand.

The recent worldwide economic downturn, if not intentionally manipulated, certainly was convenient for world oil markets. Demand was quickly out pacing supply and if not for the slowing of demand due to the economic crises, a sort of catching our breath time, catching up time, then there is no telling how high prices would be right now. It is a treadmill that is increasing in speed and we are having to run faster and faster to keep from getting thrown off of it. But we can't keep up that pace forever.

This bit of news should have sent shock waves throughout the markets but it went largely ignored and was overshadowed by the events in Egypt that kept the worlds attention.

http://thefundamentalview.blogspot.com/2011/02/saudi-oil-blunder-may-blow-lid-off-oil.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2670969/posts?page=18

[FONT=times new roman,times]"The US fears that Saudi Arabia, the world's largest crude oil exporter, may not have enough reserves to prevent oil prices escalating, confidential cables from its embassy in Riyadh show
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman,times]The revelation comes as the oil price has soared in recent weeks to more than $100 a barrel on global demand and tensions in the Middle East. Many analysts expect that the Saudis and their Opec cartel partners would pump more oil if rising prices threatened to choke off demand.[/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman,times]However, Sadad al-Husseini, a geologist and former head of exploration at the Saudi oil monopoly Aramco, met the US consul general in Riyadh in November 2007 and told the US diplomat that Aramco's 12.5m barrel-a-day capacity needed to keep a lid on prices could not be reached.[/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman,times]According to the cables, which date between 2007-09, Husseini said Saudi Arabia might reach an output of 12m barrels a day in 10 years but before then - possibly as early as 2012 - global oil production would have hit its highest point. This crunch point is known as "peak oil".(the IEA just came out with their 2011 outlook and admitted for the first time that world production peaked in 2006)[/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman,times]Husseini said that at that point Aramco would not be able to stop the rise of global oil prices because the Saudi energy industry had overstated its recoverable reserves to spur foreign investment. He argued that Aramco had badly underestimated the time needed to bring new oil on tap.[/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman,times]In other words, if there's a war between Israel and Iran, our goose is cooked. Saudi Arabia will be unable to pump enough oil to materially affect the price of a barrel of oil which could lead to nightmare prices exceeding $300 bbl."[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]One other thing I'd like to address. I hear every time the price of oil goes up and the price at the pump seems to magically go up overnight some people claiming that as proof of price manipulation or gouging. "How can the price of a barrel go up at noon and by dark the price of gasoline has risen 5 cents?"[/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman,times]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman,times] You have to understand that gasoline is priced now, oil is priced in the future. The price of oil that we hear about is the price of futures contracts. The filling stations have purchased the gasoline in their tanks at one price. And are selling it at a price that allows them to make a profit and have enough to re-supply their tanks next month. When the price of crude for next month has risen 10 dollars, then the next months supply of gasoline that they purchase is going to cost more. So they have to immediately raise the price they are charging on the fuel in their tanks so that they can afford to buy next months supply at the higher price.[/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman,times]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman,times] Nearly all the filling station in the US are franchises. Local owner/operators pay for the right to use a company logo. They are under contract to purchase the fuel that they sell from Chevron, Texaco, Valero etc. But those oil companies don't determine the price that they sell that fuel for, that is set by the local owner and is based on what they must make in profit to be able to re-supply next month. The profit margin on gasoline is on average about 4 cents a gallon for the retailers. It is more an inducement to stop and buy the much more profitable items inside the store ie; soda, beer, groceries etc.
    [/FONT]
    (I don't know why the links aren't working but you can copy and paste in the address bar and they work)

7. Minuteman

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

$3.359 here locally @ Valero.

9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Today here, $3.69 for 87 octane

10. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Crude for April delivery is 103.48 FRN's/barrel right now (09:38 CST - 03/04/2011). Gas prices in Houston, Texas have risen fully 60C in 2 weeks. Most notably 4 cents in as many hours.

11. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

Turns out we were worried over nothing...

...because noted petroleum geologist Timothy Geithner says there's plenty of oil left and there's no need for concern!

I feel so much better!

12. Minuteman

Isn't he the guy who couldn't figure out how to work the Turbo Tax computer program? Well, if he says "Oils Well" then I guess that's it then. We can close this thread down and all go home. In the words of the late great Emily Latella

"Never mind"

13. Moose57

Moose57 Monkey+++

The oil is here...........

All the oil we need is right here and available in the US. We just need a President who is not trying to tear down out country to go after that oil.

This came from American Thinker:
    March 04, 2011 The Only Way Out for the American Economy

By Steve McCann

[FONT=times new roman,times]Economic despair reigns in America, as stagnation and mounting debt make our future look hopeless. Yet America is uniquely positioned to rebound and recover our economic preeminence. All that is necessary is a political decision to reverse our energy policy and stimulate domestic production of hydrocarbons. From that would flow a true economic stimulus that would mend many of our ills.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]The United States is again, for the second time in less than three years, being reminded of its absurd dependence of foreign sources of energy, most notably, oil. The upheavals in the Middle East have driven up the cost of a barrel of oil into triple digits as it was in 2008. The increasing demands of countries such as China and India and the deliberate devaluation of the dollar by the Federal Reserve and the Obama administration are steadily pushing up oil prices in dollars.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]The country's dependence of foreign sources has increased to 52% of the daily requirement as compared to 45% just 15 years ago. [/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]Over half[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times] of that amount comes from countries that are inherently unstable or ruled by despotic regimes whose interest it is to de-stabilize the United States. [/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Yet the United States is sitting on the world's largest untapped oil reserve. A natural resource that would not only mitigate the over $400 Billion sent overseas to other countries but could create untold millions of jobs and put the country on a sound financial footing.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]The untapped reserves are estimated up to 2.3 Trillion barrels, nearly three times the reserves held by the OPEC countries and sufficient to meet 300 years of demand, at today's levels -- for auto, truck, aircraft, heating and industrial fuel, without importing a single barrel of oil. [/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]The [/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]US could become the single largest exporter of oil[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times] and oil related products in the world, thus potentially eliminating its trade deficit, and increasing the national standard of living as well as making a massive dent in the national debt. [/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Here is a look at some of the largest untapped reserves:[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]The Bakken Fields in North and South Dakota. New drilling and oil recovery technology is making the capture of this oil feasible and some development is now underway. It is estimated that there is at least 200 Billion barrels of oil in this region. At a price of $100 per barrel the value of this find is $20 Trillion.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]The Outer Continental shelf. It is estimated that around 90 billion barrels of oil sit beneath the ocean bed 50 to 100 miles off the shore of the Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf coasts. The value: $9 Trillion.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]The Alaska National Wildlife Refuge. About 10 billion barrels are locked up here with a current value of $1 Trillion.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Tar Sands: Around 75 Billion barrels of oil could come from these areas which are similar to the Canadian tar sand fields and which now produce about 2 million barrels per day. The value: $7.5 Trillion[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Oil Shale. This is the most massive area of potential oil production in the world with an estimated 1.5 Trillion barrel potential. The technology necessary to extract this oil is now in place and being operated on a pilot project basis. The value of this resource: $150 Trillion[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]There also the very real potential that further finds will be discovered as technology continues to improve.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]In total the value of the potential oil reserves of the United States listed above exceeds $187 Trillion. The current national debt is $14.2 Trillion or less than 8%.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Despite the protestation of President Obama and the environmentalists the world and particularly the United States is not running out of oil. Their foolish tilting at windmills and solar will never produce energy sufficient to operate a $14Trillion and hopefully growing economy. It will be decades if not the rest of the 21st Century before any meaningful substitute for fossil fuels will be developed and additional time and investment will then be necessary to distribute the product.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Mankind's ingenuity has and will continue to develop technology to safely extract, process and market fossil fuels (which is a naturally occurring resource). But the United States must begin now to open the areas for exploration, and permit the construction of refineries and pipelines. [/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]It is beyond absurd that a country sitting on so much natural wealth refuses to exploit it for the benefit of its citizens and instead deliberately puts the nation in the position of being subjected to the whims of others and face national insolvency. It almost appears to be deliberate.

Online location:
    [/FONT]

American Thinker: The Only Way Out for the American Economy

Paul

14. Minuteman

:rolleyes: Oh boy, here we go again.

Moose, thank you for the post and please don't take the following personal. It is not directed towards you.

Every time we see a spike in oil prices we get someone who comes along and finds an article on the net somewhere that "proves" that we have all the oil we need. If we would only go get it. And it is always someone who is preventing us from becoming self sufficient and keeping gas prices under $1 a gallon. Sometimes it is the govt, sometimes the environmentalists, and most often the oil companies.

I know that this thread is a behemoth, but I wish people would read the entire thing before joining in the debate. You would see the problem and understand the complexities of the situation.

Once again, peak oil, and the resulting higher prices, is NOT about running out of oil. It is about running out of cheap, easily obtained, easily refined oil. The low hanging fruit has been picked. We must go to more and more extreme measures (i.e., climb higher) to get to the remaining fruit.

For example, paying a drilling contractor a million dollars a day to drill in 5 miles of ocean. We would not be there, not be investing that kind of money, taking that kind of risk, if we could find it anywhere else.

There will be oil for our lifetimes, for our kids lifetimes, and for our grand kids lifetimes. The question is, "How much are you willing to pay for it?"

Without going into ERI and all the technical information (that is to be found in the pages of this thread) let me go through the scenarios.

First, estimated reserves are always on the (wildly)optimistic side plus they are not recoverable amounts only theoretical amounts that may, possibly be there.

The Bakken; A good field and quite a lot of recoverable oil. But it is mainly a gas field and the oil is a side benefit, and the amount of oil has been downgraded several times since the fields discovery. It originally was the next Saudi Arabia. But the facts came to bear and the vast ocean of oil that was originally prophesied never materialized. This is an outcome repeated in nearly every new field ever discovered. The greatest need when a field is discovered is investment so naturally every field is a giant.

Tar sands. Yes Canada produces a vast quantity of oil from their tar sand project. They also have another vast natural resource that makes that possible, water. It takes many more millions of gallons of water to get that oil than the gallons of oil recovered. And it is not drilled, it is strip mined. The Canadian tar sands are visible from space. Not a good thing. Are we willing to cut vast swaths of land to extract a low quality product. Even if we had the water to allow it?

Shale oil. There is more oil in the rocky mountains than in Saudi Arabia. True, somewhat. Shale oil is not oil. It is the precursor to oil. In another few million years, lying in the hot earth below the crushing weight of the Rocky Mountains and it would become oil. It is a rock and it can't be drilled. Here again the specter of Jed Clampett rears it's head. Shoot a hole in the ground and up comes a bubblin crude. Life isn't that simple. And Shale oil is far from a bubblin crude.

Shale oil rock is mined. And the process to crush that rock and extract the minute traces of pre-oil, then convert it to a usable product is daunting at best. It can be done. But at what cost? Even if we were willing to strip mine the entire Rocky Mountain range. Turn it into flat prairie to get the amount of shale oil needed to feed this countries ever growing demand for any number of years, what price would we be willing to pay for it? The resulting product would be so expensive as to have us fondly remembering the good old days of $4 and $5 a gallon gasoline.

Right now the only area that has a reasonable potential to increase our domestic supply is the outer continental shelf. But, again, at what price?
    The technology is not there yet to be absolutely safe in drilling in those extreme conditions. It is similar to drilling on mars. And it is very expensive. The price of oil would have to remain around the $100 a barrel mark to make it even remotely feasible.

So, again, the question is not "How much oil is there?". The question is "How much are you willing to pay for it?"

15. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

I echo what Minuteman said, and would add that the other real problem with many of the unconventional reserves people are taking for granted is that the ER/EI (energy returned over energy invested) is low to non-existent.

The shale here in Colorado is an excellent example of this dilemma. The latest process is to cook the precursor while it's still in the ground. To turn it into oil, it has to be cooked at several hundred degrees for several years. To prevent the oil from contaminating groundwater as it's cooked, they actually inject water all around the cooking area, freeze it, and keep it frozen for the duration!

In tests they have successfully produced some oil this way, but the process consumes so much energy that the return is minimal. For every 10 barrels they produce, they use something like 8 1/2 barrels worth of energy.

Added to that problem is the fact that there is not enough water available to ever scale the operation up to meaningful production. We get a lot of snow, but all the snowmelt belongs to other states, who are very jealous of their water rights and would litigate eternally if we tried to divert any for oil production.

Billions of barrels of wanna be oil, just sitting there. And barring some novel way to violate the laws of thermodynamics, they always will be...

16. Lt_Cav_Sabre

Lt_Cav_Sabre Monkey+

I would just like to weigh in with my 2 cents on this whole subject. The majority of the US's current energy problems imho are based on regulation and and gov interference. As far back the Nixon administration there have been gov reports and recommendations to make the US energy independent. Pretty much every administration calls for the same thing but does nothing about it and then adds on regulations and epa bans which then makes the US more reliant on foreign oil.

Regarding the Tar sands info you have posted it sounds a lot like lefty green biased facts. The fact that it is visible from space ? pure fear mongering... my car parked in front of my house is also visible from space. Open pit mines have been reclaimed safely for many decades so the tar sands as an open pit mine should really be no issue ( unless you don't like open pit mining ). Water is used in conventional oil drilling and extraction except the water pumped down is forever lost. With the Tar sands the water requirement is 2 to 4.5 times using the Clark Hot Water Extraction 1920's tech. The current modern methods of extracting the oil uses steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) and cyclic steam stimulation (CSS) which allow for a huge amount of the water being reused down to 1 barrel of oil needing .5 barrels of water. You missed out on the natural gas consumed during the process but that could be negated by having a nuclear reactor. Regrading all the easy to get to low hanging fruit gone yes the days of cheap wells are coming to a close, 2006 estimates are that operating cost of a new mining operation in the Athabasca oil sands to be C$9 to C$12 per barrel ( 9.25 - 12.33 USD ), while the cost of an in-situ SAGD operation (using dual horizontal wells) would be C$10 to C$14 per barrel. This compares to operating costs for conventional oil wells which can range from less than one dollar per barrel in Iraq and Saudi Arabia to over six in the United States and Canada's conventional oil reserves.

Minuteman would you happen to be Canadian ? just curious with the line "Are we willing to cut vast swaths of land to extract a low quality product. Even if we had the water to allow it?"

At the current prices or even $70 or $80 per barrel the tar sands could provide lots of oil for a very very long time.

Cheers,
    Lt_Cav_Sabre

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Being in the middle of it..However we us natural gas to lift our oil to the surface on the well's that do not flow at line pressure...
    Our lifting cost run on land at around 7.00 per bbl. to as high as 22.00 per bbl. offshore..

18. Minuteman

Nope not a canuck. "We" as in us here in the USA. The tar sands can be seen on google earth without the need for zooming in and the astronauts in the space station have seen it with the naked eye. The question was would "We" here in the US be willing to cut up large sections of our land even if we could? I see a huge fight with the greenies and with the .gov regulators on that one. But we don't have the water available to be able to produce anywhere near what Canada does so it is a moot point anyway.

Yes Canada can extract a lot of oil from their tar sands project for years to come. Most people don't know that Canada is our #1 supplier of imported oil. There is a project underway now to build a pipeline to transport that tar sand oil to us. But the other side of peak oil, and a factor that will affect us sooner and more severely is peak exports.

As oil supplies dwindle how long before exporters like Canada begin to cut back on what they export? There will come a point where those countries will need to save more and more for their own consumption. So those years of oil available from Canada's tar sands project won't do us a lot of good down here.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  19. Minuteman

This is not good news. Not in the land where gas is 20 cents a gallon.

Saudis prepare for an oil-depleted future - Business - World business - msnbc.com

As oil supply dwindles, Saudis turn to renewable energy
    World's largest oil exporter to spend $100 billion on new energy sources

Saudi Arabia, the world's largest oil exporter, may not be panicking quite yet about its ever-declining oil supply —but the country is certainly concerned.

Consider: In February, a Wikileaks document revealed that Saudi Arabia might be overstating its oil reserves by 300 billion barrels, and the country recently asked for a slice of the UN's $100 billion climate change fund to help diversify to other energy sources (a galling request from such a wealthy country so dependent on other people not diversifying to other energy sources).

And now the kingdom has announced that it plans to spend $100 billion on solar, nuclear and other renewable energy sources. They haven't announced over what time period they will spend it, but that's a lot of cash. Private investments in Chinese renewable energy projects totalled $54.4 billion last year, which was the highest of any country.

"Fuel supply is one of the major challenges facing the power sector and the nation," Saleh Al-Awaji, Saudi Arabia’s deputy minister for electricity at the Ministry of Water, said at a recent conferencein Abu Dhabi. "The policy is to work intensely on saving energy and making sure every barrel of oil that can be saved is, and is made available for export."

20. thebastidge

thebastidge Monkey+

1. Dunerunner
  2. AgentPickle
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. hitchcock4
  10. john316