Newborn Piglets

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Alanaana, Jul 30, 2024.

1. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Truffle and morel hunters train them to hunt out the mushrooms for great profit.

How to train then? No idea.

I've seen them jumping off high dives and working sheep like Australian shepherds. Pics of pigs pulling carts, working guard duty, working as bloodhounds, and other unexpected things are out there.

I have neither the skill nor patience for training beyond housebreaking and common courtesy.

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I was thinking more along the line of "Happy meal"

Last edited: Aug 2, 2024
    Gator 45/70 and Alanaana like this.
  3. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

On Friday evening, the piglets were adopted by a man named Bear. I'm thankful for the experience, but I prefer catching and butchering more than caring for live pigs especially in the newborn age group. Just imagine having 2 newborn piglets (messy) and no plumbing or running water at the same time! On Friday, they brought us an outhouse and yesterday they connected some running water so that's a relief. I think 5 days without plumbing and running water is the longest that I have ever gone (not including backpacking trips) without running water AND plumbing. I've done one or the other multiple times, but this felt a little more brutal.
    This septic tank installation was supposed to be completed last Tues - Thurs, but I have a feeling that it's going to take a lot longer...

4. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Bear said that the piglets are doing really well. The kids love them and they have a fully fenced in area for them. Even the neighbors like to come over to visit and take pictures with them. I'm so happy to hear this. This is Exactly the kind of home that I wanted for those piglets.
    There were several people who were interested in adopting the piglets, but I think we chose the best owners for them.

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I'm glad they went to a good home. Pigs are as smart as dogs. The kids will have a lot of fun. :cool:

Zimmy and Alanaana like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7