Nearly speechless when I saw this...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Apr 7, 2022.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The Novelist, J.G. Ballard wrote a novel on the theme of a high rise residential building, called 'High Rise'.

[​IMG]
    High-Rise (novel) - Wikipedia

A film adaptation was released in 2015 (Well worth seeing, if very disturbing)

One wonders whether 111, West 57 Street and its residents will devolve in similar ways as the high rise described in Ballard's novel did. :unsure:

Seepalaces likes this.
  2. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

Stop straw manning me! I'm pretty sure that phrase can be used for anything. One day when people grow up and evolve there wont be any taxes. Like sleep coming off the eyes people will realize that if they support a cause then they can also pay for it. I guess a step to that path would be a fixed percentage, like we used to have.

Seepalaces likes this.
  3. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I am all for a 10-15% flat tax for all. No write offs, no loop holes, no EITC.

SB21, DKR, Seepalaces and 1 other person like this.
  4. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

You can see how that can be taken as a 'we all deserve to be taxed' argument. Its like the crabs in the pot pulling each other back in or the slaves who turn in other slaves who tried to escape. My opinion is that any lower taxes are a good thing and any increase in taxes is bad. Taxes give more power to evil people. Nobody should be taxed on their life blood. God gave us all the right to live and breath without being taxed on it. Maybe one day the people will wake up and realize they deserve something better. Taxes are the powerful saying that the taxers are above god. Am I alone in this thought? Maybe.

apache235, CraftyMofo and Seepalaces like this.
  5. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

I think the issue isn't taxes, but the breadth of government. If we want term limits, enact the flat tax and pass a law forbidding government debt; then see how quickly the worst people in governance (cough, cough, BidenPelosiSchumer) retire. Once there isn't money to be had in graft and corruption, the rats will flee the sinking ship of DC so quickly it'll make your wallet smile.

6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

While I agree that a flat tax - with no exceptions or deductions would be nice, you overlook that the one true 'power' used by CONgress is handing out tax breaks, exemptions and other sweetheart tax stuff - and then reap the rewards. Insider trading in another scam the CONgress critters get away with....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7