My New Hobby!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ura-Ki, May 10, 2024.

1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yea, like I needed another one, but it does dovetail in with one of my main hobbies. I never wanted to get into things THIS deep, but something inside me snapped and made me do this, and so, here we are, on another adventure! Back Story here, Way back in 2012, I bought my first vintage Dodge Power Wagon, a 1949 WC-30 1 ton, mostly complete, but a pretty good project, perfect for my needs! So I spent the next two years building it, mostly restoring it but also resto-modding it a little, mostly to make it easier to drive in todays traffic, but also to have a nice truck and no nice truck payments. To that end, I ended up with a really stellar truck, both in looks and performance, and I wa constantly getting outrageous offers to sell it. I always said NO, until I started wanting something a little "Less Nice" in that it would be something I could use and abuse like you do with a pickup truck, so I finally sold it for a YUGE amount, more then I would have thought, and moved on! Then I scored the second truck, a 1942 Half Cab half ton pickup ( Super Rare) and started to build/resto mod it. then I started finding more Power Wagons popping up for sale, most at reasonable prices, and While I hadn't intended to,, I started buying them up for parts and eventual projects. Now, the real reason I stared buying them all up, a bunch of folks got all caught up with the Legacy Power Wagons 4 door or Extra Cab builds, and that set the world on fire, especially with a couple of big time SEMA builds to showcase Legacy's prowess with these trucks, but what nobody knew would be just how popular such a conversion would become, commanding upwards of half a million dollars at auction, BUT, the sad part of this, and how I got myself into such a "Collection" was people going out and buying up these trucks to CUT them all to hell for the back section of the cab and doors, destroying an otherwise good project/restoration truck, and THAT really pisses me off to no end. Fast forward and most of these people discovered it ain't that easy to do, is more expensive then they realized, and with the economy in the shitter ( Thanks Joe Biden) these folks wisely decided to divest themselves of one of the trucks before cutting it up, so I have been saving them from a sad fate, as most times after butchering the hell out of them, the rest is sent to the metal recycling yards for pennies on the dollar, not even trying to sell the remainder to recoup the costs!

So, I have been rescuing them, having become somewhat of an expert on these Old Girls, I have amassed quite a collection of good, decent, re usable trucks, and what's more, I have a YUGE stash of good parts stashed all over, to the point I need to build a barn to store it all. So far, I have 4 trucks that people cut the Cabs on, All four were mostly done the right way, which leaves me with enough parts to make them into half cab trucks, ( More on that later) and the others are ether complete, or mostly complete and usable as they sit. the rest are salvageable or good for parts. I have two 6X6 trucks, one was a tow truck, and they other, who knows, but neither was ever an ammo carrier or artillery tow rig, so ether heavy duty pickup, or troop carrier. Te Tow truck i'm keeping for my self, cause it's so damn rare and so damn cool, and the other is up for grabs, but needs some parts that I have to make it complete is some one wanted it that way. I also now have three more 41/42 Half Cab half Ton trucks, mostly complete, except the latest one is missing it's axles, and I have four mostly complete trucks, all needing some parts. and finally, I scored three rollers with bare/stripped cabs, so no running gear, but wheels and tires, and bare frames, all three came from the same hord, got them for a thousand bucks TOTAL, hell, the wheels alone are worth more then double that, and just a salvageable Dana 60 front end would fetch at least that, and I got three of them, so I paid my self back on that dea! I also just scored another tow truck, an ultra rare Hobbs bodied truck, and that I will only sell to someone wanting a wrecker that I know would do it right!

Finally, I made a deal with Legacy and the ther shops that are doing these conversions, DO NOT CUT UP any more trucks, if some one brings you a good salvageable truck, CALL ME and I will come buy it, and We also found a resource who has agreed to stamp new cab parts, so no excuse for cutting up a good restorable or rebuildable truck, PERIOD!

So, now you see what I got my self into, I got a ranch starting to fill up with these damn trucks, and I cannot stop it, any more then I can stop people from cutting them up, so, here we are!

If anyone is interested in a good restorable, or rebuildable resto mod vintage Power Wagon, hit me up, all the trucks are first gen, so no M-35 or M-53 flat fender trucks, NO GMC or any of the contract build trucks, all are 100% DODGE built! I also have tons of parts, all are good and usable, you can run most as is, or rebuild/restore them as needed. and Yes, I have a couple of cabs that are too far gone, so they could be cut if you just have to have a 4 door or crew cab truck!

Now, the Half Cabs! Because we now have a shop doing cab conversions that don't require a doner truck/Cab, I have the 4 trucks that were already cut up, I have made a deal with the shop owner to build me the rear sections from patterns I supplied from my Original 1942 Half Cab, so I can at least build these 4 trucks as replicas of the ultra rare ( only 880 of them even made in 1946) and some deserving/worthy folks will be able to score one of them. as I find more of these cut up trucks, that will likely increase the number available if the trucks are otherwise salvageable. I'm keeping one for my self, and selling off the Origional one I bought out of Florida a years or so ago, because I could use the YUGE income that truck would bring, to salvage more worthy trucks!
    Hit me up if you would be interested in any of these as projects, I got parts, and access to ALL the parts, and could/would be willing to help get you into your dream truck for FAR FAR less then todays new crap pickup trucks! As a side note, I am also collecting up Vintage Willy's Pickups pre Gladiator 1963 but no wagons ( Yet) and no plans yet! Some how, I keep finding them near or with the Damn Power Wagons, so,.............I ain't leaving them to rot of end up in the crusher, so...........

OIP.

GOG, Zimmy, Bandit99 and 5 others like this.
  2. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Incredible!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Look at you man!!
    I need that and you need a boot up dat azz!!!!!!!!!
    Just kidding, Super nice man, Carry on!

Meat, Ura-Ki and duane like this.
  4. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Oh my! That's a beauty.

I had wanted one of those for a very long time. What I don't need is another project right now. I wonder if I will last long enough to finish the ones I have now.

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have a few I could sell for a VERY reasonable price, after all, not many folks want these that much any more, and further, few are wanting a project, especially something this big and heavy, and the few that do have the coin to pay someone else to do it! I would let one go for the price I paid, plus any parts you would want or need, or take off the stuff you didn't want/need and save you some coin!

Dont and Meat like this.
  6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

That color is great! Maybe not on a house but for that machine… I rate it a 10 out of 10. Good job.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

A man of many skills... Very cool!

Gator 45/70, Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

saw a vid of several chinese homes getting that color roof???

Gator 45/70, Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

As much as I desire one of those trucks, I don't see how I could do the expense at this time.
    I do appreciate the offer Uri-Ki, however I am working on recovering from having my mountain home burn down.

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

That's a work of art! I LOVE how it's rigged!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7