Motivational Poster Thread (warning content)

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by Quigley_Sharps, Apr 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

If I am familiar with the concept, it's merely because I see examples of it often enough posted by others here. ;)

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Another concept you may want to become familiar with.

Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness

Sesquipedalian
    : A long word, or characterized by the use of long words. From the Latin roots meaning "a foot and a half long."
    Loquaciousness: That would be garrulousness, verboseness, effusiveness. How about "chattiness"?

A predilection to engage in the manifestation of prolix exposition through a buzzword disposition form of communication notwithstanding the availability of more comprehensible, punctiliously applicable, diminutive alternatives. Also known as "gross verbosity". Related to this is the use of inkhorn terms, loanwords from a foreign origin that are pretentious to an average speaker.

In brief: characters wishing to appear "smart" using long words when short ones would be better, especially when they are also motor mouths. Characters afflicted with this trait often seem to go out of their way to over-complicate their speech, probably because they think that this is the only way to show that they are more intelligent than the average writer. This could also be the trait of a particularly anal-retentive character who always has to be right, the trait extending so far that the character always has to use exactly the right word — never using "blue" when "azure" or "indigo" or even "royal blue" would be more accurate, for example.

Occasionally such characters may drop the long words if things get particularly dire, to emphasize just how bad things are (in the same way as a Sarcasm Failure). Alternatively, they may get even more wordy as they get more emotional, leading to increasingly detailed but ultimately incoherent ranting that falls too easily into wangst.

Airtime, Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  3. chelloveck

Luke 4:23 seems to be particularly apt....you've used some 260 words (give or take a few) to describe a smart-@r$e with an extensive vocabulary who uses it. (edit *)

You may also wish to have a look at post #4427 of this thread....the discussion seems to be pointedly descending into "responding to tone", ad hominem and name calling.

I quite like Nikola Tesla...but not everything that is attributed to him is pure gold...it seems that your Tesla quote in post #4419 may be hoax quotation. I could not find any confirmation of it being genuine in any on-line bibliography of Tesla articles or quotes. It seems that Tesla suffers from the same fate as Einstein; of anonymous meme generating individuals, putting their own words into the mouths of eminent persons. A practice probably as ancient as the Tanakh and the Gospels.

* Maybe I'm being a little too harsh....I thought you may have been referring to me, when you were actually only just cutting and pasting an article about TV Tropes from Main/Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness - Television Tropes & Idioms . Putting the cut and paste between quotation marks and properly attributing it, might have avoided the unfortunate misunderstanding. ;)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  4. chelloveck

[​IMG]

hammer502, tbf8170, natshare and 2 others like this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

[pop][beer]

6. chelloveck

I think I understand your concern about "...Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness.." ...you may be suffering from

Gafarmboy likes this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Sorry chell...

@Yard Dart had the last sentence ...

Yard Dart, chelloveck and kellory like this.
  8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

tacmotusn, GOG, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  9. kellory

10. chelloveck

GOG likes this.
  11. kellory

"Flash Player upgrade required to view content." Made no sense.

12. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

That happens on my phone from time to time

13. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. If there are no helmet laws there, and they aren't under the influence of drugs or alcohol, not speeding ...... What's the harm in what they are doing?

chelloveck likes this.
  14. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

They are in Russia, ( a free Country ? ) --- Try that in the U.S. ( without the proper permits ) and you'll find yourself in a cage.

Yard Dart, Mountainman and chelloveck like this.
  15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I think I saw him miss a beat....

16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

how did the dart get dragged into this melee? ...and it was a nice word, though I doubt I have ever used it in a sentence... :D

chelloveck likes this.
  17. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Remember this? I was like, "Woo-HOO!"

18. chelloveck

The environmental impact statement would make for interesting reading....:oops:

19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

More likely a financial impact statement is needed to tap that well ;)

20. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Noah was still working on building his first row boat back then. It wasn't until years later, when you were programming on a Trash 80, that he built his ark!
    [lolol]

And hey.....I might not have called that whatchamacallit by the right name, but at least y'all knew what I was talking about, right?? :rolleyes:

1. Yard Dart
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Altoidfishfins
  4. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Oct 23, 2018, 23 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. Witch Doctor 01
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  8. chelloveck
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. Yard Dart
  11. OldDude49
  12. RJB
  13. Legion489
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Legion489, Jun 13, 2017, 8 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  14. Yard Dart
  15. Yard Dart
  16. chelloveck
  17. Yard Dart
  18. Ganado
  19. 3M-TA3
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7