More LEOs behaving badly

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by CATO, May 14, 2012.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That's the problem with living in a militarized police state --far too many have come to accept their slavery. No matter his "crimes", the man did not deserve to be beaten so brutally. Often times we tend to overlook the obvious abuse and our minds have been programmed to accept this type of behavior as ordinary and even necessary. However, as free and sovereign men and women, we should not have to put up with tyranny and despotism...but we do. I would like to challenge you to take as much time as you need to ponder my words, for I promise you, I do not need any further response from you if you're going to remain on the side of an abusive government. I wonder how many folks actually believe these "laws" apply to them? Only in America.

Interfering with the Gestapo = brutal beating
    Jaywalking = brutal beating
    Sentence to be carried out immediately by her Majesty's Royal Knight Guard --who is Judge, Jury and executioner.

Yard Dart and Mountainman like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Oh, I don't think the beating was appropriate to the crime. (I didn't say that, now did i?) But I don't find your victim to be entirely blameless, either.
    I've seen idiots die in traffic, because they cut through stopped traffic, without realizing the opposing traffic was not stopped. Or they ran through traffic to catch a bus on the other side, though they were 20' from a crosswalk, or a legal crossing.
    From what I see in the video, he is nowhere near a legal crossing, and had no business in the street there at all. It was just the direct route, and the cop was in his way.
    No matter what the cop was doing there, he did not have to move. He is EXEMPT from traffic laws on duty, and can even order you to drive the wrong way on a one way road, as needed.
    Your victim CLAIMS he was polite
    Was he? We don't know. He claims he used profanity at a cop and flipped him off. (Verbal assault) it may have gone beyond foul language, we don't know.
    We DO KNOW he had no business where he was. We DO KNOW he got verbally abusive, with a cop on duty and in uniform. We DO KNOW it escalated, from pepper spray, to less leathal, to brutal, in order, we just don't know why, yet.
    It would be consistent with refusing to follow an officer's orders, while being placed under arrest.
    Weather or not you agree with the charge, doesn't matter. Weather or not you agree with my assessment, doesn't matter. If you choose to, you have an ignore button, and you can choose to deafen yourself, if your ears are too delicate to hear an opinion that differs from yourown.
    But if you wish me to be silent because you have spoken, then [kissit][raspberry][finger](I fart in your general direction)
    I will not rush to judgment without the full story. I will not condemn, without more proof, and I will offer alternative possibilities that fit the facts that ARE known.
    Railroading from the sidelines is easy. Repairing the damage done, if you happen to be wrong....is not.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It is really simple to deal with Police, that seem to be out of control. Be respectful, and follow their instructions. Then get them in front of the Judge, preferably a Federal Judge, if they have violated your Civil Rights, and let the Judge hammer them, which he will do, and you can collect a HUGH Settlement from their Employer, for your trouble. Just save yourself the beating, that is NO FUN, AT ALL.....

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

AMAZING...Two people that don't see the police state...[nutkick]

Brokor likes this.
  5. Brokor

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. If this entire thread stands as anything, it's that the system is broken and corrupt and that we actually do live in a militarized police state and we are their subjects.

We cannot have "just a little bit of tyranny" and still have liberty. We either have liberty, or we do not. The trick has been to keep the people fooled into believing we are free and this is a land of liberty, but the statistics alone prove otherwise. We are the most heavily policed nation on earth, with the highest incarceration rate and the people have been criminalized to the point they actually have grown accustomed to being slaves to thugs and tyrants. This has become a nation of policy making, and the corporations who make the policies continue to grow and strangle the very life from every patriot and free thinking being left in this wretched police state. I will not yield to tyranny, not one damn inch.

But, your mileage may vary ;)

Yard Dart, CATO and Mountainman like this.
  6. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Some folks need special sun-glasses, others need a piano...or billy club to fall on their heads

Yard Dart and Mountainman like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What exactly is verbal abuse? Is it the use of profanity? I hear profanity everyday & some people are real colorful and creative in their use of words. IMO the F word is used more frequently then the word please. Profanity is accepted in everyday speech. When you see commercials that say, "shut the front door", we all really know what they are really saying. It is promoting the use of profanity. You are saying since someone is in a uniform we need to automatically give them total respect. An outfit demands blind respect and obedience?

Really? The guy lived nearby and was trying to bring his groceries home. How do we know the police had business being there? What was the officer doing? Why did he have to block traffic? If his car was impeding pedestrians there is a huge probability that he was also causing traffic issues. Is it a case of he can do what he wants, when he wants, where he wants because he has on a uniform that demands blind respect and obedience?

Legion489, Yard Dart and Mountainman like this.
  8. kellory

From all appearance, @Motomom34 he was crossing in the middle of the block, because it was the shorter route. (Jay-walking) and it has been illegal just about every city, for a long time. It is nothing new, and he CHOSE to break a law for his convience.
    The officer CHOSE to ignore the lawbreaking, until the perp got abusive. At which point, he enforced the law, at his discretion.
    It matters not AT ALL what the cop was doing there, he was on duty, and will answer for his actions (good or bad) if he was in any way, out of line.
    He does not ever answer to some jackanapes, ordering him to move his cruiser. He CAN on duty, block fire hydrants, crosswalks, intersections, or even drive across your lawn, while enforcing the law. And you ARE REQUIRED to obey a law enforcents officer's orders, weather or not you agree with them. Unless he is violating your Rights, in which case, get his supervisor on the line, or call 911 if needed.
    Laws vary by location, so check your local laws, but what I saw, could also have been an @$$hole, refusing to be arrested for a "bull$h1t" charge, where in fact he DID BREAK THE LAW.
    Once the cuffs come out, COMPLY. Call your lawyer, your family, you are going to jail. Resisting is breaking another law, and is reason for an @$$kicking. It is clearly reason to escalate the force needed to detain and arrest the lawbreaker.
    He did not have a partner to assist, and had an irate perp to subdue. Would you prefer he simply shot him? He could have pulled his gun and held him for the backup to arrive, but that could also have become fatal, if something went wrong like a fight for the weapon.
    Once an arrest starts, COMPLY. You will only make it worse by fighting it. Take it to court.

9. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

From the video (which starts pretty late in the incident), it is hard to say where the officer's car is...but late in the video, one sees a cruiser that doesn't appear to be one that arrived during the video parked in the cross street at the corner. This vehicle is in what is actually an "unmarked crosswalk" that is the extension of an imaginary line at the edges of the sidewalk when it reaches a cross street. Painted lines are a convenience, but not required for a route to be considered a crosswalk.

While the video does not start until after the event had escalated, what is there is disturbing...especially with the "history" quoted in the article that accompanies the video. The fact that the officer had numerous prior incidents (including a successful lawsuit for excessive force) would tend (in a reasonable world) to cast doubt on his credibility and lead one to believe that he should not be in a position of authority. At least he was apparently promoted to detective, which will mean he has less opportunity for "street policing" in the future.

Numerous California departments (from the state Highway Patrol down), including the Sacramento police...though I note this is actually the Sheriff's Department as opposed to city police...have a reputation for this kind of activity. I must admit that I tend to think that anyone foolish enough to live in such a community or state is pretty foolish to seemingly purposely incite the anger of the local jackboots...or even live there.

Yard Dart, Brokor, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Seems to be a case of "Mine is bigger than Yours, and I wear the Badge" which means you ALWAYS Lose, when it comes to a Battle, because I have more Buddies, to call on, than you do, and mine ALL wear Badges.
    Now if all the local neighbors come out, and backed up, the Misguided Slob, and outnumbered the number of Badges, that could be brought to bear, THEN the Badges would have backed off, and let things die down, and picked the Slob up, on a later date. "Might, makes Right" and he who has the Bigger Guns, or the MOST Guns, ALWAYS Wins.... "Fair" is a stupid Liberal Concept, that is promoted by the weak, to enslave the Strong. The World was NEVER "Fair" about ANYTHING, and it NEVEAR will be. The only thing that can make things "Fair" is "One's own Personal Integrity" PERIOD... and Human Nature says, "There will ALWAYS be someone who doesn't have ANY, Personal Integrity, and that will take advantage of ANY, and ALL situations...." That is life, Get over it....

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Sorry @PaxMentis either you cross on one of these:
    upload_2015-10-13_11-14-39.

Or you are a criminal and take a risk of getting your head bashed in. So if you need to cross the street and don't see one of these upload_2015-10-13_11-14-39. Then keep walking till you do.

Actually @PaxMentis I like your post above. ;)

Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  12. kellory

You are right in many things. We do NOT see the beginning. We do NOT know what really started it. We do NOT know why it escalated. And we do NOT know why he parked where he did. (He might have responded to an armed robbery, or a cat stuck in a tree, but neither matters, he can park anywhere he sees fit, while on official business. (Whatever that business is)).
    He can not be ordered to move by a civilian while on police business, period. The citizen does not have a RIGHT to cross at that location, he only has RIGHT OF WAY, should he do so. (Over moving traffic, not law enforcement).
    As for being brutally effective, LA cops have good reason to keep control of a situation, with force. I spent 5years there, and they always have vacancies in the thin blue line, due to the mortality rate of cops there. (It is rumored, that the new uniforms come printed with concentric circles on the back.) LA was the most violent town I have ever lived in, and gained the most practice for my martial arts training from daily life there. I am not one to look for trouble, but I did learn to keep my head on swivel, and my hands ready. LA is not a beach paradise when you live there. Between the competing gangs, the thieves, the traffic, it is a stressful place to live even with the beach and sun.
    We also do not know what was said between them as this progressed. Since this WAS an arrest, I would expect the victim to have been ordered to put his hands behind his back to be cuffed. I did not see any attempt to comply with that order. This leads me to believe force was necessary to get compliance. And not equal force, because that prolongs a fight, but overwhelming force, to end it.
    I will withhold judgement until all the facts are known. (Does anyone know if the cop had a body cam? I remember reading they were to become standard issue, but I do not know if they have become so yet or not.) It would be instructive to hear and see what DID happen from the start.

Pax Mentis likes this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It would be far more instructive to know and see if there's any followup that has seen the light of day. Fussing over who was right and who was wrong at this stage of the game is pointless.

One other thing, it makes no difference who is parked where, if the USPS wants thru, all others have to give way. That includes fire and other emergency vehicles. Federal law. I've yet to see a postal truck insist on access, seems a bit silly, but they can. Moreover, I have yet to see a fire apparatus that did not have little bridges they can put over hoses to permit vehicle crossings.

kellory likes this.
  14. kellory

Agreed. And until the "victim" got mouthy with a cop, he was being accomadated.

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I apologize for the sarcasm above. But it is an incident of jaywalking that went bad. I am sure 98% of the people on this site have jaywalked. Is it a crime- yes. Is it a crime that should end in people being beaten- no. Should people curse at each other- no but they do. All the incident shows me is that there is an illness in this country. IMO people are uptight. People are willing to abandon common courtesy, do unto others, when they feel they are right. Allegedly the victim politely asked the cop to move. Allegedly the cop has prior violent incidents. What is the truth, I don’t know.

When I am at a crosswalk and a car stops while crossing, I always wave and mouth, “thank you”, I don’t have to do that. Legally they have to stop, I don’t have to thank them but I do. I know it is goofy and stupid but many smile and wave back. Kindness 101- pass it on!

Ganado, Yard Dart, Brokor and 6 others like this.
  16. Pax Mentis

Surprisingly (or not) L.A. is not one of the top rank when it comes to incidents of alleged brutality statewide. Possibly is is a result of the city police so frequently being under observation by potentially hostile crowds and possibly it has something to do with past incidents that have led to some "training adjustments".

I grew up in the beach communities of the South Bay and (even more now than 45 years ago) I would much rather interact with LAPD than the CHP. These days I carry a federal retired badge that (whether justified or not, I won't argue that on either side) gets me a certain amount of "professional courtesy"....but those boys and girls are buttheads to everyone, even active officers of their own agency.
    Unless laws have changed drastically since I learned them (which has been many years, so I recognize that possibility) or unless your state is different than the norm to which I am accustomed, try driving through any intersection where a pedestrian is in that area that I quoted in front of a patrol officer and see what he/she says about that subject. If what you say were true in my state currently, one would be completely unable to cross a street in my little city, since a crosswalk marked in the way you specify does not (in my experience) exist anywhere within the city. If, in fact, the pedestrian in the instant case was walking across where he lies when the video starts, he was in fact jaywalking...if he was walking across at the corner where the cruiser to which I referred was parked, he was in what passes currently as a crosswalk where I live. Our local police department has actually been doing "stings" the past few years in "unmarked crosswalks" where a pedestrian (actually an officer in civilian clothing) will step off the curb at an intersection with a vehicle approaching. Any vehicle not stopping receives a fairly hefty ticket.

This is not to say the the pedestrian has a legal right to demand that an in-service police cruiser move out of that area, but it would protect said pedestrian from a jaywalking charge (which would be much less serious than the Interfering charge that is most likely what this arrest was for).

17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Brokor likes this.
  18. Pax Mentis

Again, it would be good to see what happened before the video because I suspect there was at least a poor judgement call by the officer in that time frame, but if one assumes the actions up to the start of the video justify an attempt to immobilize the subject, I see nothing that I would consider either excessive force or assault in the video itself. The video starts with the officer attempting to immobilize the "kid" and the kid resisting. When he grabs the baton, the officer is about as restrained as he could be...there was no swinging of the baton into the subject's head as characterized in the article...only two blows with hands wrapped around the baton to the sides of the face...apparently without sufficient force to break the fingers or hands. I'm sure it hurt, but I would bet the "kid" was not seriously injured...as he would have been had the officer pulled the baton away and let swing...which would STILL have been legally justified at that point.

Once again, with the subject refusing to cooperate, an overwhelming and irresistible number of officers taking him to the ground is about the safest (for all concerned) way to cuff the kid. Maybe painful, but not likely to actually injure. Was the arrest justified? A good idea? Who knows? Was the "kid" resisting arrest? Yes. Was excessive force used based on what we can see in the video? No.

Sorry, can't buy this one based on the sneak preview.

[peep]

19. kellory

Report said that before the video started, he was told to sit down. That means he is being detained, while they check something out, or deal with something else. Clearly he did not do as he was told. He fought with the officer, and did not get on the ground as instructed. He WAS resisting and not cooperating. He was NOT swarmed by nine cops as the headlines reads, most of them never even touched him. I saw two, possibility three, jerking him off his feet to hand cuff him. (Standard procedure with a resisting suspect) and the rest of the cops formed a breastwork against the possibility of attack. (Again, normal behavior in an agitated crowd.)
    The irritating woman, hollering "he's just a kid" and "it's just Jay-walking" did absolutely nothing useful, and was trying to work up the crowd. "inciting a riot" is also a crime.
    My guess (without more background it is ALL guess work) is the large crowd was interfering with traffic, and the cops were called to deal with the congestion. Jay-walking is a crime, and is enforced when it effects traffic safety. The kid would have been processed for a Jay-walking ticket, mist likely, one of many from the sounds of the crowd, but instead he headed for the bus. (He was being detained, so that is not an option) that would qualify as "fleeing" and at that point it turns into an arrest, not just a ticket.
    The baton might have been overboard, but the rest was not.

20. Brokor

And in my opinion, the cop should be hanged until dead, in public for beating a man for speaking words he did not like. He is a rabid dog, and deserves to be treated as such. I will settle for being stripped of badge and unemployed, after a thorough beating with a 2x4.

Freedom of speech --ever hear of it?
    Citizens arrest --ever hear of it?
    The Constitution? Bill of Rights? Liberty?

Police are not supposed to be in positions of "authority", they once were hired to serve and protect, not abuse at will and murder at their own discretion. There is no delegation of authority that I have ever signed in my lifetime which removes any of my inalienable rights and issues privilege or power to men with badges and guns. It is true, I signed for a drivers license, which is a privilege. It is also true that you will find "under duress" next to my signature.

I do like this discussion, but I must bow out now respectfully because the atmosphere is kind of thick and we've been beating a dead horse (like a crazy police state cop) for no reason.

chimo and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7