Memorial Day Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 3M-TA3, May 26, 2019.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Ura-Ki @mysterymet My own dealings with the VA has resulted in the same sort of bureaucratic crap that I am hearing from you guys. As I stated, basically they lost my medical records and since I was on special assignment and the surgery was done in a Netherlands military hospital, there is no record anywhere and frankly I highly doubt that even if I went to the Netherlands they would have the records from almost 40 years ago. I am hoping that I can get through the years without needed surgery on my knee but...time will tell.

I do think the issue is too large to be dealt with by an organization like the VA and wonder if things could be better if we simply turn it over to the local medical services and the biggest thing that needs to happen is to get the bureaucratic red tape out of it - either they live up to the contract as agreed or - well - they need to live up to it. What bothers me is they have had a huge amount of good leadership and no matter who is in charge it appears the service doesn't improve, that tells me a lot.

mysterymet and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

The VA in Salisbury, NC really treated my Dad well in his final months. The down side was his records were also lost for the back injury he sustained at Parris Island in a fire. 60 years he tried to get help, even had affadavits from guys he served with, but .Gov never would budge.

SB21 likes this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'll have to say , most of the care I've received out of the NC VA's have been pretty good . We'll see after they rip apart and throw in some artificial knee parts in me . But my biggest gripe is the foreign doctors , plus they seem to be having a high turnover of doctor's . In the last 4 year's , I'm on my 3'rd primary care doctor . And the new one I had to see today was a foreigner ,,,, I just have a hard time understanding them . I know they're speaking English , but it's different than that southern drawl I'm used to ...3 times today he tried to tell me to go to the 1st floor for bloodwork and xrays ,,, but every time it sounded like he said 4th floor . It got into hand signals before I could figure it out .

4. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

ya... I get the impression they high turn over has a lot to do with the rules the VA puts out...

on of my Dr. told me they are allowed about 20 minutes per patient... not a lot of time IMHO...

but that is what the Dr. said...

now I have a dang good one over in a clinic near here... pleased!

hope it stays that way... but with the VA ya just never know...

5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Some VA's are better than others, some are even centers of excellence, while others have a toxic culture. The VA is a YUGE organization and the second largest employer in the US, with only the DoD employing more. As such there is a LOT of mass and momentum that has to be overcome to make a positive change.

On June 6th the VA will be implementing the MISSION Act:
    "The MISSION Act strengthens VA’s ability to deliver trusted, easy to access, high quality care at VA facilities, virtually through telehealth, and in your community. That means you get the care and services you need, where and when you need them."

I hope this is a success and delivers the promise

VA MISSION Act

oldawg likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7