Mass silver buy on May 1st to fight back against TPTB

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by Beano, Apr 18, 2013.

1. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

Bought shares of USLV....great stock (ETN) at a great price!

2. Beano

Beano Monkey

I hope you're being sarcastic or you are an incredibly sharp trader....

3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

If'n I'm buying PM's.
    I want shiny in my hand, not a piece of paper saying I own xxx ounces.
    cause if i want to take possession of physical, and they tell me ..oops, were out but we'll give you these crisp FRN's .. someone is gonna die.
    I'm too pretty for prison (probably could be debated but whatever) so, I'll take physical possession thank you very much.

My 0.715 troy oz per dollar face value.

tacmotusn and Beano like this.
  4. TheEconomist

Meh, im going long.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

We are a few days late but we spoke to Lear and they recommended Franklin half dollars. These are supposed to be 90% silver. Why would they recommend Franklin 1/2 dollars for a long term investor. This will be our first silver purchase, what other things should we know?

6. Beano

Beano Monkey

There are a few schools of thought as far as purchasing silver, beginning at two main purposes: 1) silver as a long term investment (which I don't really recommend---the timeframe for meaningful return is on the order of decades) and 2) as a hedge against hyperinflation and as a bet against the national debt.

As far as what to invest your FRNs in, that is entirely up to you, but just keep in mind that, if/when the time comes to use silver as a medium of exchange for goods and services, actual currency is the most recognizable, even by those who have little to no experience with PMs. Still, the proportion of those who actually know that pre-'64 coins were 90 percent silver is actually quite low (I only learned this a couple of years ago). So, in exchanging silver for goods, the burden of proof would be on you as to whether what you are offering is actually silver. Currency is the most sure way to meet this burden.

Portability is also an advantage. Halves are just about the perfect increment when offering silver in exchange for something. ALL halves predating 1964 are 90 percent silver, be they Franklins, Kennedys or Barbers. Same for quarters and dimes (Barber Quarters, Washington Quarters, Roosevelt dimes, Mercury dimes and Barber dimes)....all have the same silver content and proportion. War nickels (1942-1945) have 35 percent silver. While two have more silver than one dime, I generally stay away from these.

This is just my two cents (pun); I am not a major money and securities player, and only a novice PM stacker. I collect strictly as a hedge against inflation, not for long term investment. My strategy consists of an assortment of 90 percent coins and silver bullion in the form of 1 ounce bars from apmex or silvertowne. For those concerned with prepping, that is my recommendation.

This link will take you to a great and useful site/tool for helping you with spot prices and melt values (melt value of your silver coins, which will be the widely accepted measure of what your silver coinage is worth)

U.S. Silver Coin Weight Conversion and Melt Value Calculator

Also, subscribe to Gregory Mannarino on YouTube, as well as silverfishVT. These are two guys who are fun to watch and they know what they are talking about, far more than I do.

Good luck :)

7. Beano

Beano Monkey

@Motomom34 Oh one more thing.....a few states are pushing forth legislation that will force PM/coin dealers to track purchases of PMs and coins. Much like guns, the objective is to know who has gold and silver. CT and IL are first in the chute and the laws will likely pass. Remember that 90 percent silver coins are all the same, whether grimy and worn, and wherever you find them. I don't recommend using online dealers for much longer. Hit pawn shops and antique stores, and make deals with sellers based on melt values. You'll run into the occasional old coot who cluctches onto his numismatic guidebook and will tell you that such-and-such coin is worth all kinds of money.....if it isn't graded with an "MS-xx" number, then it's likely worth little more than its melt value. Right now, for ungraded and circulated dimes, quarters and halves, the average asking prices are ~$2.60, $4.60, and $12.50, respectively.

8. Beano

Beano Monkey

Ahh gotcha. I can't bring myself to go long on PM investment, but anyone who can and feels good about it, more power to them.

9. Beano

Beano Monkey

TheEconomist likes this.
  10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I just wanted to point out that it is, all silver US coins prior to 1965 normal mint and circulated are 90% silver. Don't overlook 1964 dimes, quarters, and halves, as these are 90% also. 1965 and after normal mint circulated are 40% or zero silver content depending on the date and coin denomination.

Beano likes this.
  11. TheEconomist

Another thing for those of you who may be going back and forth on silver or gold investments. If you look at the silver to gold price ratio you can get a good idea of where the market prices are and what could be the better buy. Over the past few years the ratio was pretty close to $50 to 1oz Gold / $1 1 oz Silver. So a 50/1 Price ratio. There was a period of time before that it was 80/1 or 85/1. Right now you are seeing gold to silver around 60/1. I think in a global market where the EU just lowered interest rates and there is expected be be continued quantitative easing we should expect to see gold to silver ratios get back to 50/1. This means that silver should appreciate in price as compaired to gold if my analysis (guess) is correct.

Beano likes this.
  12. Beano

Beano Monkey

Your handle, sir, is quite appropriate. I hope to see more of your posts in the near future.

kellory likes this.
  13. TheEconomist

For what it is worth below are my top ten holdings in my discretionary portfolio.

Symbol
    Gain(%)
    FCX
    BIDU
    DANG
    BAC
    NFG
    GE
    CLF
    USLV
    ESRX
    AAPL