Marine Units Deactivate in Aggressive Plan to Reshape the Corps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Us too MM, but I sure hope not-it's all the football we have left!

HK_User and mysterymet like this.
  2. Personally, as an old 03 hump alot, I personally liked having Abrams on a float with us. Having your own organic armor that is used to operating with crunchies and speaks the same language is definitely good to go. Doing sweeps with 120mm of Marine armor carrying HE and HEAT/SABOT rounds is reassuring when the enemy has armor as well. Yes Javelins wittek and work well, as do the new Carl Gustav launchers and rounds that have been developed. I guess my biggest problem would be having to call for Army armor to bail us out if needed. But if they keep whittling the Corps down, thsn eventually it's going to be back to the 50's thinking and "Why do we need a Marine Corps, we don't really do amphibious assaults anymore? Besides we have the Army".

Tully Mars and HK_User like this.
  3. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

I've had some limited use of Mules while in the Army. The ones we used in 88' (TOW II Anti-tank launcher carriers) were worn out and had crappy off road capability. They were small and light enough that a four man crew can get them unstuck reasonably quick and they can be palletized for air drop or slingloads, but they were slow, loud, and turned over rather easily at any incline. Humvees gave us better mobility, speed, carrying capacity, range, and protection. They were also air drop and slingload capable, before all the armor was added. Now the armor has reduced their effectiveness pretty much nil. They are now too heavy for aircraft, slower, less range, and wear out parts faster due to the massive amount of weight (engines, trans, brakes).

4. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

I had some of the best NCO's in the Army who left the Marines due to having to wait until someone died to get promoted past E-5 or E-6 back in the 90's. The Marines loss was the Army's gain and it looks like it will be again soon. Although I will argue the "Every Marine a Rifleman" fantasy. I've worked with Marine logistic and admin personnel overseas and found their marksmanship skill to be over inflated much like their egos. 0311's however were never in doubt. I don't begrudge admin or logistics skill at paperwork or turning a wrench, but qualifying on the range once or twice a year does not make a "Rifleman".

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7