Major Cold Wave Are You Ready?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by stg58, Dec 23, 2022.

1. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The high today was 34F and we had snow! I'm tired of winter already and can't wait for spring!

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It was about 5F here a few days ago.
    Inside the house it was about 74F.
    Wood and coal power.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Wish I had my wood stove in my camper.
    Propane is fine till it gets too cold and stops moving.
    Thinking of putting a heating pad around the bottle, seeing it is in a separate cabinet in the camper vented to the out side for safety.
    I can run the inverter from the battery bank to run the heating pad.
    With out propane heating and cooking get difficult.
    I have solar, but obviously overcast prevents power production, so this should be interesting. I can fire up the generator but the noise is problematic where I live presently.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  4. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

NYS Thruway is open again, as is I-290, and portions of I-190, north of Buffalo. The city itself will be 2-3 days, before they can manage traffic flow. Snow drifted so badly, in the city streets, that plows aren't enough to get it out of the way, anymore. They're having to bring in front end loaders, scoop up the snow, and haul it off elsewhere, with dump trucks! :eek:
    This seems to be a recurring problem with older east coast cities, that were built back before wider streets were the norm. If you don't have enough room to expand the street, and the housing areas don't have much front yard area, there's nowhere to plow the snow off to. You see similar issues in portions of NYC, Boston, Philly, etc. My brother in law was a Navy Seabee, stationed at Annapolis (back in the 80's), and would help to plow the roads when they'd get snow. Once the base was plowed, the Navy, as an act of goodwill, would assist the city of Annapolis with their plowing....and he said plowing off base was a nightmare, with their colonial-era narrow streets.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7