Louisiana Natives- is this true?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ganado, Apr 26, 2018.

1. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

As HK alluded, subsidence is more of an issue than rising water. This has been going on for ages, the big difference is the lack of natural replenishment from the Mississippi River.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Captain of the cruise ship seemed a little huffy about tying up at a fishing dock.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  3. HK_User

I find it amazing that subsidence is such a natural process all over the world that most do not have a clue that even Hawaii is affected by the process. Yes as the tectonic plates move across the hot spot they drop some as well as natural erosion causes subsidence.

In the Gulf it is our pumping of oil and in some cases salt domes have collapsed.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Our Dock is 250ft long.... He was just worried, he couldn't turn around inside the Inlet.... It is only 998Yds wide, and those Floating CattleBoats take a few miles to make a 180, even with the Bow Thrusters....

Altoidfishfins and HK_User like this.
  5. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Lived on a lake and they made a decision many years ago to bring in nutria, a thing that looks like a cross between a rat and otter to eat the hydrilla or like a moss and they do but they also undercut the bank so people had to retaining walls else their property would slough off a foot and a half a year. These vermin also eat anything else back when they told us these were vegetarians but while I still lived there the frogs crawfish and any other small critter dwindled then we found that they are omnivores. we used to thin the herd back when then I saw a special on New Orleans snipers keeping their skills up sniping nutria for the same reason of under cutting the banks of creeks and rivers.
    '
    There is always doom and gloom we have to fight nature and sometimes we need to let it thrive without intervention others a helping hand, but there are times when I scratch my head and wonder who's dragging their feet One was an Island in the Florida Keys that had been invaded by the Gabon giant rat they were all atwitter about the end of the world if they got off the island but, they were trapping and researching studying building extinction scenarios if they got over the bridge. The stupid part was it is a barren island and no real species based nesting or migration, well seemed to me they think too much napalm the mofo and move on but science is a poor field so they seem to milk every tragedy and theory until the next cash cow comes along. Strange how we today are helpless when science and critter lovers blame man for extinction of species case in point the invasion of boa's in Florida put a bounty on them and make the new rage snake skin clothes shoes and purses and rednecks will wipe them out in less than a decade. sometimes science make a mountain (of cash ) out of a molehill theory allowing the ravaging of our indigenous species, then blaming that on global warming, poaching, guns or industry all the usual suspects it's starting to be a cliché and a worn thin story that will not hold together under real scrutiny.

The world is a living breathing thing man can only look back so far and we want our life to be normal but nature has never been normal in 10,000 years none of this will remotely look the same nor will the animals be the same. Science finds new species all the time I doubt they are new but to science they are. people living in the midwest loose everything to tornadoes coastal areas to floods mountains to avalanches and slides deserts to wind driven dune migration earthquakes and storms of the century have altered the Mississippi river and delta since before white man settled here, so I do not buy into man is destroying the earth I look at it more like a pendulum civilizations have come and gone like Peru we do not know who built 100 ton stone block cities above the tree line south America is riddled with hundreds of pyramids ancient stone roads they are all dead and gone who knows how far back or how many eras existed off the coast of Cuba over a thousand feet down they found a city and a pyramid, we tend to think in decades few remember the dust bowl I have driven over many of those areas and see no remnant or reminder but it happened from 1934 to 36 then back in 1939 to 40 and took time to get back , Change is inevitable

arleigh, duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

did one of you read the link? We are losing all that Louisana Hot sauce on Avery island.... Tis a tragedy!!!!

ochit, oldawg and HK_User like this.
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Slightly off-topic, but a bit of useless trivia regarding Tabasco Sauce. If you read the article, in the first paragraph, there was a line stating, "The recycled bourbon casks..."

Many of the barrels used in the process of making Tabasco Sauce, come from the Jack Daniel's distillery in Tennessee. Once Jack Daniel's empties the kegs of their refreshing liquid content, they are not used again. McIlhenny is one of the companies that recycles those barrels.

duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. HK_User

How are we going to keep all the Zombie Skitters at bay if the Island goes?

Ganado likes this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

jack daniels also sells cask(et)s to Tequila Mexico for tequila aging, my mind is filled with useless trivia also hehe

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

[LMAO] Dinner table discussions on Flat-earth theory are some of the best.

Aaahhhh..... no. But it is a good discussion on land loss. ;)

Ganado and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  11. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Sounds like they need to carry around their very own tugboats.

12. HK_User

Didn't know CASKETS were used for aging Tequila, only those who drank too much Tequila!

Ganado and ghrit like this.
  13. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Hey now, whoa there is nothing inconsequential or off topic about Tabasco Sauce or Jack Daniel's even the trivia of such sacrosanct subjects should be in awe struck tones like speaking of a deity like Richard Petty :D

oldawg likes this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I would say that it is Louisiana stubbornness...we ain't worried, cause we'll just relocate them elsewhere. Ain't gonna lose no Tabasco.

ochit, techsar, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Ain't no thing.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7