Lost my folding knife, again

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Elessar, Sep 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

serrations work much better on thick stuff like rubber or leather. Acts much like a saw.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Cordage in a word. Need to cut rope or heavy string such as a ship's mooring line or the strings in a round bale and the serrations will do it better.

OTOH, a full serration cutting edge has more cutting area with less effort and the serrations are protected by the points. Hit bone and only the point is dulled but the actual serration is still sharp.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Or seat belts.

4. HK_User

Yup, the serrations multiply and hold in contact with the cutting edge of the serration section.

Figure you now have roughly 10 times the cutting area with the serations than without plus the protection factor of the cutting edge due to the shape.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I despise serrations, won't use a blade with a serrated edge. I like to have a nice, flat edge to use and maintain, nothing else.

Everybody has their likes and dislikes and reasons. Nobody is more right than the other, it is what it is.

Garand69 and ghrit like this.
  6. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I have a folder that has two blades: one that is standard and one that is serrated. I have used the serrated like a saw on brush but that's the only time I've ever used it. I understand the protection factor of serrations but I don't use it much and I wonder about a dual blade that has both on the same blade. I feel like I'm losing part of my blade to a mostly unusable area. My folder with two blades still allows me to have a full standard blade. This folder is a S&W that I've not seen anywhere else.

7. HK_User

Or, carry two knives.

8. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I like my Ontario RAT-1. Been carrying one for years. No serrations.

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I like Swiss Army knives. In fact, my EDC is a Victorinox farmer. You may find that you might not need a second "more robust" knife for outdoor use because it comes with a robust saw that will tear through small wood.

If it is too small for your hands, a rangerwood is much larger. It has a comfortable wood handle and a larger blade and a larger saw.

Whatever you end up with, consider a lanyard. Attach it to your belt. Clip your knife on to carry. Unclip to use. Reclip when done.

Oh, and by the way, survival monkey has an amazon affiliation. Wasn't sure what to call it.

HK_User likes this.
  10. LoveHate

LoveHate Neophyte Monkey

ghh, has happened to my many times,my favourite knife is zero Tolerance hinderer 0566Cf and I lost it. but now Ive actually found another favourite, I made an order from guuger.com/product/pocket-knife/ghost-pocket-knife/ and have been using this exact knife for month. I love blade length and the fact its very easy to carry it around

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I have a CS Voyager with the tanto, it is a good knife. I bought it to see if the tanto point really pierces armor and it will penetrate a car door at a junkyard. Do not try this with a slippery grip or weak hands as if you slip; you'll need stitches.
    My cons are although the steel takes a long time to dull, it takes a long time to sharpen. Where the angle of the tanto meets the horizontal blade is a real PITA to sharpen.

My carry knife is a CRK&T Crawford Kasper; as the little lever locks the side lock securely. Striking with a large amount of force, every little bit helps.
    Same as the famous Ka-Bar Marine issue, it sharpens relatively easily using ceramic sticks or a soft stone followed by a hard stone.

@Elessar
    Serrated blades can be used as a saw. They can also hang up in bone or between bones as you try to withdraw it from a rib cage. Knives are similar to pistols as one size does not fit all. Or what works for me, may not work for you.

12. Garand69

Garand69 Monkey++

Been carrying a SOG Flash as my work knife for years now, It looks like it is built very simular to the Aegis posted above. BY FAR it is the best EDC knife I have ever had. Super light, fast, and extremely durable with a solid lock up. I cut open bags of chloride daily (Very Corrosive) heavy rope, etc etc, hell I shaved the wood off a door the other day to stop it from sticking, and it never stops working. My blade sharpens easily and stays sharp. I mangled the belt clip once in a motorcycle crash, SOG sent me a new one free of charge. The only thing that I didn't like was the safety, so I removed it.

PS, it's the first pocket clip knife that I have NEVER lost

13. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

14. HK_User

Often the Ranger and others can be had at a reduced price from Amazon if in a slightly damaged wrap. Up tp 25% off.

Hanzo likes this.
  15. ghrit

Linkee no workee. Try this one.
    Amazon.com: Columbia River Knife and Tool's M16-03Z Zytel Razor Edge Spear Point Blade Knife: Home Improvement

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Original link works just fine for me

17. ghrit

Does now for me, too. I might have been too quick to check it after the post went up.

18. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I've tried a variety of knives and I agree with you with the Crawford-Kasper. I like its ability to open with one hand with a flick of the wrist. I like its liner lock for heavy use safety and it fits my 4.125" across the knuckles hand.
    It works well with the claw and hammer, saber, modified saber. ice pick, reverse ice pick etc. grips. It sharpens relatively easily as compared to some others. The design is a good cutter, utility and fighter.
    Serrated can be difficult to withdraw so personally I prefer non-serrated, YMMV.

My only dislike is after years of carry; the clip screws come loose. A little red Loc-Tite fixed that. Although it is true a Tanto point penetrates light armor better; very few wear light armor nowadays.

Knives and pistols are not one size fits all; so, I can understand and accept the opinions of others.

BTW, when I bought mine, it wasn't as inexpensive as they are now.

19. HK_User

BTW,the belt carry sheath that was listed on the same page as the Ranger 55 is not correct.

This will work.
    • [​IMG]
    Click to open expanded view

Victorinox Nylon Pouch, Olive Drab 4.0822.4US2
    by Victorinox
    4.8 out of 5 stars 7 customer reviews

List Price: $19.95
    Price: $15.30 & FREE Shipping
    You Save: $4.65 (23%)

Note: Not eligible for Amazon Prime.
    Only 12 left in stock.

Estimated Delivery Date: Feb. 10 - 16 when you choose Expedited at checkout.
    Ships from and sold by Stealth Rabbit.

Hanzo likes this.
  20. timberwolf50

timberwolf50 Just be practical Banned

I have 2 knives u may look at first gerber remix 22-41968 fine edge - I have had this knife for 2 yrs the blade still doesnt wiggle where the hingle is because there is a large figure hold there to put your figure in to stop slippage, I can still sharpen it to shave hair. The other is smith & wesson extreme ops. Gerber being the best.

1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. Hanzo
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. Matei
  10. Matei
  11. norseman
    [ATTACH]