Least populated, warm climate, states for a retreat

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by fortunateson, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  2. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Thanks Colt. A few pictures are worth a thousand words.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Re: Maps Coltcarbine posted....
    1st map: I am on that "blue" line that is located in the central part of Arizona, at the furthermost north tip. That is the main aquifer I made referrence to!
    2nd map: Look very closely and carefull at the northen most centrally located (tiniest) green spot, I get the 30+ inches a year of rain/precipitation.
    3rd map: I am in 7a to 6b...depends on what map you look at, we get temps varying down to the teens to the - levels....Some say we are in zone 9 some say zone 7. Like I said, it all depends on who made the map, and how accurate it is...Our worst case scenario is about: -10 degfrees, and usually in the area of 15-20 degrees above!

4. grizzard

grizzard Monkey+

I live in Las Vegas NM and have to say northern New Mex is a great place to set up camp. The weathers good, never gets to cold or too hot and its very sparcely populated. Another cool thing about New Mexico is that it has its own power grid, so NM stays lit up if the rest of the country shuts down. There are also a lot of people living here with the prepping survival mindset, lots of alternative building(check out earthships) and few building codes. Land in the mountains can get expensive, 8k an acre, but if you grab some butted up to the Sante Fe National Forest its not a problem.

5. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Joel Skousen has compiled data relevant to survival and created a top ten list. The number one area in the U.S. was the high desert area of N. Arizona and S. Utah. One of the reasons for the rating was that not a lot of refugees would head to that area post SHTF.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I heard that!
    If I didn't want to have a retreat area, I'd have never looked in N. Arizona for much of anything...It's not that "great" of an area.....
    Now that I'm up there, all I can say is "HOW did I miss this, after living here in Az since 1960-61"!???
    It's like every other place, it has it's good and bad points...I found it is better than most, and not as great as I'd like, but for the price and all, it's working out for me.
    As far as being a place to avoid any transients, refugees, and such, it's definitely OFF the beaten path!
    Heck, the second time in to my own place I got lost!
    ( that's what they made teenage sons for, right?)
    Some see it as desolate, but it's desert, has plenty of trees, and far more wildlife than I knew was even in the entire state!
    ( that's the biggest problem!)
    A LOT of people, (hunters) know the area as being one of the best in the state for large animals...
    That's a drawback for sure....
    Very few people would venture out into the area, too easy to get lost, turned around and few places to get water are available....
    All of that makes it a great place to disappear into!
    ( what's the old saying: Sure it's ugly as all heck, but it's MINE!)

7. XR750

XR750 Monkey+

I like Prescot & north to Flagstaff AZ. Northern New Mexico is good weather wise. Mild summers and winters a lot of natural reasorces.
    XR750

8. Duke

Duke Monkey++

I love the area up around Ga/SC border personally. Especially Lake Hartwell... I should add though I haven't been there in a LONG time so i have no clue if it's still as rural as it once was.

9. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

For long term survival if you dont have water you dont have nothing. [2c]

BWM

10. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

If I was in the US, I would look for a mountain place geographically way southern then Chicago...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7