Inflation- What steps are you taking?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 13, 2022.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Keeping that old car might be wise. It's paid for, the taxes are low (I have two below $5), insurance is cheaper, old diesels don't need expensive DEF fluid, and tires for older cars are generally cheaper. Even the State emissions and safety inspections are cheaper, at least in North Carolina. I have cars now that are completely exempt from inspection because they're so old. 20-30 year old cars get only a $13.85 safety inspection instead of the $30 emission inspection.

You do have to maintain the old jalopy, but as long as it's safe and reliable it's a keeper in today's market. If you keep it long enough it might be cool again.

2. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Subscribe to "Everyday Cheapskates" (free) on line for great ways to save money, make food substitutions and replace expensive cleaning supplies with better, cheaper ones..

There are more steps taken but those are a few. Any suggestions to help make funds go further would be appreciated. I believe this is only the beginning and hard times are ahead. Survival Monkeys are wise, so let’s hear how you are battling inflation.[/QUOTE]

3. jukk0u

jukk0u Monkey+++

Inflation was a drop in the bucket when this thread was started; now it's a tsunami. $80 for two partially filled grocery bags?!? Lucky enough to get some free meals allotted me at work, my diet otherwise consists of coffee, oatmeal and top ramen (like I'm back in college.) Fuel eats up a few or four day's earnings in month. Gone are the days of 'discretionary spending'.
    How's everyone else holding up?

Zimmy, mechstdr, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  4. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

The government continues to deny there is any inflation --yea right!!!! used to pay 9 bucks for a gallon of lacquer thinner now 20, gallon go bleach now over 6 bucks, beef forget it hamburger over 5, chicken double in price. I could go on and on but we all know inflation is rampant and the government continues to lie

5. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

nothing fancy here, both of us retired, we just use coupons, drive less, garden, firewood, etc. on fixed income. just me keep on keeping on!

VisuTrac and Dunerunner like this.
  6. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

I'm with you hot diggity, i personally have 4 vehicles none newer than 1992 nor older then 1984, well maintained (by me), have all necessary tools for repair work. since both the wife & I are retired now, not too many miles gets clocked on them anymore. I could work on 2023's but all the training/knowledge costs, all those special tools are necessary & costly as well !! what I have is sufficient to work on what i have, and not messing with newer stuff, was a mechanic/technician for 50+ years, my wheels should outlast me at this moment, can retrofit back to points/carburetor if need be, all are gas but that just means I would need to convert to (choose one) methane or wood gas or alcohol or ? it all centers on what type SHTF happens and what needs to be done after. (y):D

CraftyMofo likes this.
  7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I'm teaching my grandkids foraging ala...Foraging Texas. I've been to the classes and it's a heck of an experience.

Went back to raising hogs. American guinea hogs this time instead of durrocks. They eat mostly pasture to cut costs. As lard hogs, I hope the flavorful fat will make sausage from the innumerable wild hogs more workable.

No debt, eat out once a month for Sunday breakfast, changed to a state hospital job for added job security, make my own wine and rum, 3 raised beds for veggies and 30x60 plot for field peas, adding paddocks (damn fencing went up!) to rotate the chickens, hogs, and goats though. Need a dwarf ram and guinea boar to make things more permanent.

And I bought a bunch of handy glass to look at my visitors better....

mechstdr, oldawg and CraftyMofo like this.
  1. Ganado
  2. The_Prepared
  3. Motomom34
  4. PapaGrune
  5. GOG
  6. Tully Mars
  7. Motomom34
  8. Motomom34
  9. ghrit
  10. jcamp
  11. larryinalabama
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary