I want one of them....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chelloveck, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

well this is weird, i posted on PR thread and it ended up here

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]
    The grill looks jeepish, eh?

3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

An FC Jeep of some parentage. One of the Jeeps I always wanted just because.

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There are track kits for various vehicles mostly for snow and quite impressive in performance . If you live in snow country this means something to you .
    Track vehicles can literally run circles around wheeled vehicles even with chains on in deep snow .
    Granted they are not ideal for the highway ,but in most cases its a matter of merely changing tires basically.

I worked on snow cats in ski areas and hill climbing in these guys was easy, like a train on cogged rails ,only better .
    Though tucker is a good transport vehicle, it's not strong design for work . that's where the skid steer excels .

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Maybe so. But, if you have one, you are pretty guaranteed to be the only kid on the block who does!

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

There is a group of folks in my A.O. in Colorado up near Breckenridge that have various Sno-Cats, we have to have them if you need to get around in winter, especially any distance. For that, Tucker, Thycol Nymphs, and Weasels are about the best you can get! Where the Tucker has all the advantages is it's light weight, and 4 independent track pods, these conform way better to various ground conditions and have serious articulation, so they can go crazy places! Both the early Tucker and Weasels also float in water, making them safe for lake crossings and other water dangers
    The later cats, NO!
    The Tucker are also much easier to transport on the road because of the light weight, and they were designed to be easy to get parts for any where. I can call Tucker for odd ball or specific parts, or any Dodge dealer, or Napa and find every thing I could need! Not gonna happen with all the others!
    For a super fun and useful machine, the old Cushman Trackster are a awesome little rig, though the 2stroke engine and hydrolic drive train are tempormental, when they work, they work very well. The hot trick for those is to swap engines to a big Briggs type twin and a low speed, high pressure hydrolic pump and drive motors, cost about what the entire rig cost used, but will last much longer and is easier on parts that are getting hard to find! I have heard that Yamaha may bring out a new version of the Trackster with a 4 stroke engine and auto transmission, I would be all over that if they came out with one!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

Ah yes, the old "Landmaster" from the movie, Damnation Alley.

==============================

@Ura-Ki, you know you are my new best friend, right, pal? Buddy? :D

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

One thing about Tracked Vehicles that you learn REAL QUICK.. NEVER, EVER try to cross a Side Hill with a Tracked Vehicle... If you live,to tell the tale, you can count your Lucky Stars, that your Guardian Angle was looking over your shoulder....

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I wonder if one could employ some of the snow cat additions of ice cleats and plates on the grousers to prevent side slipping ?

10. ghrit

What I've seen is that slipping isn't the problem, it's catching the edges and rolling over.

Witch Doctor 01 and Zimmy like this.
  11. Asia-Off-Grid

I stand corrected. He told me today, it is over 30 years old!

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I would have that tracker Hummer for a toy in a falsh as well...!!!

I would also have a Ripsaw...

Ripsaw Luxury Super Tank Home

But these, while more sedate, are probably more practical....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Witch Doctor 01 and chelloveck like this.
  13. ghrit

When you are talking tracked vehicles at the homeowner or renter level, practicality goes out the window. But DAMN one would be fun around here, especially in the winter.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

There was a guy out here in MT putting Canyon bodies on the Hagglunds. Fun combo. Though I think a stock Hagglund would be sweet enough. Trouble is you really have to own a bunch of land to even consider owning such a vehicle. Pretty much no place on state or BLM to run one.

https://www.youtube.com/user/krackerjr/videos

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7