How Would You Preserve a Firearm....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gator 45/70, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I agree..came out of left field....

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

+1 Interesting comments on the whole idea of LOCAL Long term storage of Weapons. If this were something I was interested in having in my local area, I would use the following.

1. Completely Grease the weapon with a SemiSolid Vegetable Based Grease, like Crisco. (Easy to remove with a little heat and Soapy water)
    2. Insert Prepped weapon in 5 Mil Mylar Bag.
    3. Flood Bag with DRY Nitrogen Gas, for 3 minutes.
    4. Seal open Bag end with a double Thermal Seal.
    5. Pack weapon pouch, and double sealed, Nitrogen Prepped, ammunition bags, in PVC Pipe, with Prepped ends and Caps, and use a judicious amount of PVC Glue to make sure the ends seal well to the pipe, AFTER Flooding the PIPE with Nitrogen for 3 minutes, just before sealing it up.
    6. Dig 5 foot hole in the ground, and put a 3" French Drain PVC Pipe in the bottom that leads downhill for a couple of feet, to drain off any Ground water away from the cache, and bed that in 6" of gravel, and then add a 6" layer of dry sand or sawdust.
    7. Drop in the PVC Pipes with the Preps inside, and cover with 1 foot of Dry Sand, and then a layer of 6" foot of sawdust, covered with 6" of BIG Rocks.
    8. Add a layer of burned rusty Steel Cans, and other Ferrous Metals, that look like burned trash leftovers.
    9. Bury the rest of the hole, using the local dirt, that came out of the hole in the first place, and go back over it every month for the next 6-9 months to level the ground, so that no depression in ground level is detectable, as the material in the hole settles.
    10. Plant stinging nettles over the whole area, and use Tree blazes on three corners, as references to the cache, as well as GPS fixes.

That about covers the whole range of dealing with the issue. 2000 years from now, some other life-form will finally find the cache, and resurrect a perfectly good weapon and ammunition, and wonder about who or what put it there, so many years before. ...... YMMV....

3. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

First of all,I would go with sced20 x 8"pvc.It can be run over with a loaded 18whlr without damage once buried.
    Second,would be to wrap the firearm in press n seal Saran wrap.
    Third would be"no oil,or grease(it will eat up plastics over time).
    Fourth,once the weapon has been wrapped,or vac u sealed,and put into the pvc,fill the empty space with cedar shavings or sawdust.Once sealed up/capped,this should keep the weapon,or ammo good to go for a hundred years or more.
    Once apon a time firearms,and ammo were stored in sawdust filled crates that were lined in oiled leather.
    Though rare there have been rifles,and ammo found cache'd from the 1860's in this manner,and they were like new.The key is to keep out moisture.
    I would bury it in a vertical manner under neath a working sprinkler head.
    Another thing woud be to bury pieces of scrap metal at random around the area as decoys for metal detection.
    Matt

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

A lot of good ideas (despite the inane blasting by someone...) - generally variations on what has often been posted elsewhere. I'd say the exact method of sealing is less important than WHERE to stash it. It may be secure against the nosy neighbor kid with his beach metal detector, but if the FedGov gets interested, NOTHING hides from Ground Penetrating Radar. So, don't garner Big Brother's (or Big Sis's) attention!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You know come to think of it..I have driven past a old WW II bombing range in the woods..Now abandoned...What better place than that...Full of potholes and shell fragments...now reforested...Just say'n...

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Watch out for UXO's many of those ranges haven't been totally cleaned up... additionally check to see if it's on a list to be cleaned up...

just a thought...

8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

If your sooo sick of this place and the people in it then assume the worst and skip the two week return.
    Your childish rants and hot temperament isn't need here.
    If you cant conduct yourself in an semi adult manner then moving on might be in your best interest, take another shot across a staff members bow and I will give you a permanent vacation.

9. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Beer is the answer to all your plumbing problems.

Hispeedal2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7