How many consider swimming one of their survival skills ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arleigh, Sep 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

With the forth coming Hurricane and probable flooding i'm hoping that boating skills will suit me better...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If your in a boat and it strikes something in the water you may end up swimming one way or another.

Gator 45/70 and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

True but most boats will float longer that most of us can swim....

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

With the debris I have seen in flood water even lakes and rivers, the likelihood of being impaled exists . a boat still can be impaled but it can more easily be repaired than your body.
    Extremely swift water can over turn a boat, so with out skill in handling and navigating things get rough.
    One thing about canoe training is righting the boat after capsize , but then you still need to know how to swim.
    In the event of having to get home after a SHTF event and usual modes of transportation are void and ways home are being guarded,,or collapsed,, being able to swim a river or lake becomes essential.
    Only experience can teach one how to swim , untrained musculature ,unknown personal flotation , or breathing disciplines can render one cramped up and drown .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Dawn and dusk are generally considered the times they most like to dine !

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We once had a Gent who was operating a Linkbelt Speeder 48 on an offshore platform attempting to offload a cargo vessel in high seas and bad weather.
    Needless to say he had hooked to the load when the vessel dropped down in the seas leading into a Dramatic load or shock load.
    He and the crane went over the side and he rode that donkey 120 ft to the bottom of the Gulf !
    Lo and behold up he comes, He was wearing a ''Slicker suit'' or rain suit, This trapped the air inside and up he popped like a cork.
    He never worked again offshore,The company made him a position in the office on land!
    The next guy was not so lucky, He was found still attached to the crane by his pants leg material hooked on the engine exhaust cap.

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Always carry a knife.

1. Alanaana
    Media

3_years_ago

time to go back!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    This beach is right in my neighborhood.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7