Hot Diggity's hip replacement thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hot diggity, Mar 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've made the full transition to my old cane. It was nice to confirm that my optimal walker height and cane length are so close that the cane just clears the deck when hung over the handle of the walker.

I find the cane is more for stability, and I can walk without it. Perfect practice is my goal now, so I don't end up with a limp when I reach full recovery.

I left the hospital with a bag of tools and they have been very useful. I learned a couple tricks with them that i didn't expect.

IMG_20220320_101055.
    The design of this rubber coated hook made it easy to flip on switches that were otherwise out of reach. It can also slip over a window blind rod and permit twisting it at a greater distance than I could safely stretch.
    IMG_20220320_105158.
    The long handled yellow sponge proved nearly useless for anything, being a bit too big and too flimsy to scrub with. It did, however, prove to have one very useful trick. (The round loop end on the opposite end of the stick has proven even better for this.)
    IMG_20220320_101228.
    It could help me pick up a dropped bar of soap from the drain end of the tub without risking a fall. I could just slide the soap up the tub to where I could reach it safely.

I had three round shower stools around here before the surgery. Now one is in the shower for safety, one on the front porch for a foot stool, and one in front of the laundry machines since I'm not able to crouch down to shift loads just yet.

Planning ahead, learning new tricks and perfect practice going forward.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  2. hot diggity

Hoo Boy! I'm learning real quick where I can rest and hang my cane and where I can't. Worse spots for it to fall is where it fouls my path, but I've been getting lots of practice bending down to pick it up without over-flexing my hip.

I tied a house key and a car key onto my cane, since I have a habit of locking myself out of the house or making trips to the car without my keys. Fixed it.

3. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

HD, with those innovations using the new tools at your disposal, you are demonstrating what used to be called a "flexible response" (pun intended) during my USAF days.(y)

4. hot diggity

5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

@hot diggity

Good to hear that you are healing and that your rehab is coming along well. Good also to see you overcoming the physical challenges that many people who are more physically able take for granted...I like the novel inventions that you are using to overcome present limitations on reach and flexibility...I will keep them in mind when my body falls apart due to illness and infirmity.

Touch wood...I'm pretty robust for an old bastard in my 70's I can still sprint to catch a train for a good 70 metres, and can pretty much do a 15k stroll carrying a pack that will see me through 72+hrs boondocking. Hope I can keep that up a while longer.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  6. hot diggity

7. hot diggity

Three weeks out, and I'm still shocked by some of the things I can't do, and some I shouldn't.

I can walk half a mile or more on grass or pavement. I carry my cane for several places at a time, but it's still necessary. Getting up and down from chairs is easy now. Getting in the car... not so much. I'm still a passenger only, so the "good" right leg is on the outside as I enter the car. I can lift my left foot up behind me and put it in the car first. I did this once. By the time I was half in the car I was screaming out loud and ended up laying between the front seats with my right foot still on the ground. So that's what it feels like to partially dislocate the hip! OUCH!!!

The easy and painless way to get in is just to sweep the left leg in with the right leg. Getting out is the reverse. I haven't got enough strength to lift my left foot to put it in a shoe, so this is what we're working on now.

Once I can drive I'll figure out the left leg. I've been dragging it in and out of the car for years, so I can handle that.

Lots of yellow stretch band exercises. I have such a long list of exercises now that I just do them once a day. Many feel redundant. Maybe that's the intent.

Turns out the "good" right leg needs as much work to get right as the left one. Much stretching and measuring. Making progress.

I got a second painful lesson yesterday. Pets are not helpful for recovery. I thought I could handle cleaning a cat's ears. Done it countless times. I can handle an eight pound cat.:)

Well, not right yet!

Cat bolted, I tried to hang on, and when the cat got to the end of my reach she pulled me forward and to one side so hard that I got a mini jolt of the pain I'd caused myself earlier getting in the car.

I can't even imagine what fun it'd be to try walking a 90 pound dog now. Not going to find out.

It's no fun, but this recover will probably take 5-8 more weeks. Have to enjoy doing what I can and plan to do other projects as I can.

I can ride in the yellow seat and mow the grass. Back field looks like a golf course. ;)

chelloveck, oldawg, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Great update, HD! Steady progress, knowing your limitations will serve you well.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and hot diggity like this.
  9. hot diggity

I walked 1.2 miles yesterday, some up and down creek banks. Felt way better being on dirt and grass than pavement. I've always had that preference, but I was feeling a little more rattle in the joint on pavement.

I got the okay to drive at my one month follow-up appointment, and the go-ahead to remove the tape from the incision. I asked about the stubborn and now dark and nasty looking adhesive residue. The doctor recommended just leaving it alone and letting it wear off with time.
    The nurse recommended gently trying some Go-Jo hand cleaner.

On the way home I got a text asking if I'd be home between 5:00 and 5:30. I was still in town, so told them I could stop by after I finished my beer.

My crew at work had made a big get well basket for me, complete with several of my favorite cigars, long cigar matches, high cocoa chocolate bars and a bunch of fruit. Best part was the four shirts that I can wear to the gym. :)

IMG_20220407_230800.

10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Great news ,, you'll be back on the dance floor before ya know it ,,,,

11. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Very happy to hear of your progress, HD!! Keep it up!

12. hot diggity

Clowns at work made this for my desk.:)

IMG_20220408_081947.

chelloveck, SB21 and Seawolf1090 like this.
  13. hot diggity

I got to go walking at Lowe's today! :)

chelloveck, SB21 and Seawolf1090 like this.
  14. hot diggity

Canes.
    I'm hoping to retire all of these soon. The center one I've had since I was on active duty, and that was 23 years ago.

I rode two miles on my bike this afternoon, then headed out on my walk. Turned around and came right back to get my cane, then walked 3/4 mile. I'm doing yard work and stuff in the garage, but still don't have the stamina or flexibility to go back to work full time. 8-10 weeks sounds reasonable. My physical therapist expects me to be completely ready for full duty by twelve weeks.

I may go crazy by then. I do miss work.

15. hot diggity

I think I can close this thread, and completely agree with my buddy Gary, who told me 'There's no down side to a hip replacement."

I've been back on full duty at work for a week now, turning impressive hours and making the young guys marvel at how I can do it without getting my hands dirty. I still take my cane with me every day, more for my questionable Right knee than my new Left hip.
    It gives me balance. By Wednesday I was walking all over the place without my cane. With heat in the mid 90's here I got right back into my work rhythm and sleep pattern.

I do feel like I did the right thing by not rushing back to work on the range this weekend. After spending all afternoon hanging out with my fellow crafty folks, I saw the storm clouds moving in this evening and mowed all the grass. By 8:15 I was asleep on my Therm-a-Rest on the floor. I could lay on my left side, indicating that the wire clamp around my thigh bone is indeed making itself a "pocket" in my tissue, but I couldn't fall asleep laying on that side yet. I've lost seven pounds of the ten pounds I put on during my convalescence since returning to work and feel like my energy level is coming back.

Following the physical therapy routine, observing the precautions about what motions and angles not to attempt too early and getting back in motions have made this whole process a huge win for me. I'm putting my bike rack on the car and looking forward to spending some of these beautiful Coastal North Carolina summer evenings riding the trails around town without any pain in my hip. ;)

chelloveck, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Right on man, Keep working on the hip, sounds like it's something you can live with Congrats!

17. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Congrats to ya ,, and happy to hear your healing up well..
    I had my last follow-up with my knee replacement surgeon last week,, he said everything seems fine ,, but it'll be around 6-8 more months for full recovery. I have found that dealing with the knee pain for so long ,, I was accustomed to walking kind of stiff legged ,, not bending the knee,, so now I have to consciously make myself bend my knee when walking. Told him to go ahead and schedule my next one towards the end of the year.
    Some of these surgeons are miracle workers .

18. hot diggity

I left my guns and knives in the car, put all my keys and other pocket carry gear in the basket and walked through the metal detector. Red lights, horn, the whole "Danger, Danger" routine. I wondered if what little metal was still tied to my belt did that. I asked the MP if the red lights were ok. He handed me my basket of stuff and pointed me down the hall.

It wasn't until I was driving home three hours later that it occured to me that I have five pounds of Titanium and cobalt in my hip.

Still have reduced range of motion, but if I can forget about it completely like that it's a good day. ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    oldawg, chelloveck and mysterymet like this.
  19. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Good that you are recovering well enough to do most things comfortably. Keep the good work up. (y)

hot diggity likes this.
  20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

AlaskaChick got a Bionic knee 25 years ago, and then 10 years ago, the OEM contacted her, that her knee was RECALLED, and they would pay for a new one, if she wanted… She took them up on it, and then had another three months of ReHab after the surgery .. She says it was worth the trouble because her new knee does act like a Weather Forecaster anymore…

hot diggity and CraftyMofo like this.
  1. Meat
  2. HK_User
  3. The_Prepared
  4. Bishop
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. hot diggity
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid