Home made anvil

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by oil pan 4, Jun 5, 2016.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have found it.
    I didn't crack it, it was already cracked. I just made it bigger.
    20230123_162055.

There was a splinter of metal that had years wrothof rust built up inside.
    20230123_165951.

Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got the ends of the cracks welded up. I didn't know I could run 140 amps through a 1/16 inch tungsten.
    Next step is hook up the water cooled torch, put in a 1/8 tungsten and collet in there and hit it with 250 amps.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I preheated and welded the crack with 309 filler and the anvil is very hard.
    I bought some of those knife hardness testers, from Japan to get an idea how hard it is. It's harder than I thought it was going to be.
    A tig welder running about 320 amps cuts into high carbon steel like a light saber.

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well it's definitely hard. I tested it with my hardness files. The 60rc file scratches it but not very well and the 55rc file slides.

SB21 likes this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I just picked up about a 2' section of track for 25 bucks at a metal scrap yard . Been wanting a small anvil just for the rare times I need one . I didn't think about any heat/tempering for it . And ,, I didn't even think of having it milled to be flat on top. I was thinking of picking up another piece to flip upside down for a flat surface. Thanks for the thoughts.

Zimmy likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm building my anvil for the end of civilization. Might as well mill and heat treat it now while I can and fix it or replace it if I F it up.

SB21 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7