Hand Pump

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, Sep 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

About 2 weeks ago , I replaced a well pump . It was a submersible pump , about 250 feet down. When we removed the cap , we could see the water level at around 30 to 50 feet . The pump is sucking a lot of dirt , the filter tells this . The guy that was helping was actually the experienced one , I knew his Dad 20 + years ago , a plumber and well driller long before I was around . He explained thet the water level just means that the pump may need to be that deep to keep the pump from going dry ,,,,meaning the pump pulls the water from 250 feet down , but then the 50 foot line is just the refill line .Meaning , it's a weak well , the 250 to 50 foot level is just the reserve , it may take a while to refill to the 50 foot level .
    But , here's a question . When you have major flooding , from storm's , the flood water's well breach a well , and contaminate the well , how do you go about making sure your well is safe after a flood ??

sec_monkey likes this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The well should be built in well above ground level to prevent this from happening . The problem I see when people build things they go no further than they have to initially .then after it's too late you get Fukushima .
    Water on a well system needs to be far above the house any way for a good gravity feed, even if it means building tower tank.
    We built our reservoir in an up stairs portion of the work shop above the level of the house and pumped the water up in it.
    If your going to the trouble of lifting water 20 feet 50 feet or 500 feet 10 or 20 more feet is nothing . so you go up stairs to pump your water now you've only handled it once. besides , you need something high to install the casing or alter the system.. If your not prepared to make repairs on your own, who is going to step in post SHTF?

Asia-Off-Grid and sec_monkey like this.
  3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

aint nobody gonna step in post SHTF ..

ya gotta have yer own parts on hand .. stored safely in EMP safe enclosures ..

(y)

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I hope he raised the new pump. I went through that a few years ago. Our pump burned out early because it was sucking the sediment. We raised the new pump up to get it off the bottom.

sec_monkey likes this.
  5. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

The highest flood levels my wife had ever seen here at the farm, happened in November 2013. This occurred just as we were moving to this province, from Sihanoukville. We just happened to be at the farm when the waters reached their peak of the flood stage.

We took the highest point of the flood level, and started filling in the property so it would settle out about 1 meter (~39.4") above that level. We went an additional 50 cm (~19.7") higher, in fact, where we intend on constructing our home. Our poly tanks are, and will continue to be even higher than that.

techsar and sec_monkey like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7