Gear Your BOB

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by JustAnother, Oct 12, 2023.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Yup Salt Lake City area. Coming from the wet side of the PNW "the woods" means anywhere outside civilization since that's basically what we have here. BTW, she is doing well and back in the PNW a new person. She is also damn proud of five year sobriety coin.

Zimmy likes this.
  2. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Thanks for the link for the hemp cordage. Just ordered some, agree that wrapping a Bic is a great idea.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I got my roll of 1mm hemp cord and can confirm that it's not made in USA. It's a fine looking cord. Smells good. Looks much more refined than the 2mm raw stuff from Poland. It lights right off, but immediately I saw two things that I find bothersome. The wax on the cord was threatening to drip. It would ruin my day if I was lighting a cigar at a wedding reception and had wax drip on the trouser leg of my tuxedo. It also seems to be a larger more intense flame. Stays lit well, and would be good for lighting a fire, but for cigar or pipe lighting I find the 2mm slower burning stuff works better, and never had a hint of wanting to drip wax on me.

Using my two is one and one is none logic I'll probably give my lighters a full length wrap of the 1mm cord under the 2mm raw cord. Adds little size or weight for the months of fire starting ease it offers.

4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

IMG_20231018_233127.
    Coffee with real cream or a frosty beer it works both ways. I see it as a hot and cold drink setting as well. At first I didn't even realize I put it on the coffee cup differently, but it works best that way on hot drinks.
    IMG_20231018_235327.
    This is a great piece of gear that I got from the kids last Christmas. I haven't cut my beard in years and never trim my mustache. It requires some behavior changes, but I have no intention to trim my beard, ever.

So there is an issue with drinking, and this handy device is the solution. Weighs almost nothing. Fits everything from a coffee cup to a beer mug.
    Even a USGI canteen cup. Can be washed with anything you could use to wash a mess kit.

In the field it'll help keep you from having filthy greasy looking cuffs on your Thousand Mile jacket or Alaskan Tuxedo. In a formal dining setting it can keep you from getting coffee drips on the linen table cloth. I need to make a template and cut a few from stainless steel. It's a pretty basic design, and even without one to copy you could whip up a template out of paper before you start cutting metal. Might be possible to make from aluminum beer can stock, reducing the weight to almost nothing.

Can't see how it's a sanitation device? Grow your mustache out til people can't see your lips move when you talk and check back with me. ;)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    CheroKiya, SB21 and Zimmy like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7