Gaps on store shelves

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by Beano, Mar 21, 2013.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

It also reduces losses due to spoilage.

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

When store shortages are impacting your community due to the weather... that should be a good sign to most that the people need to change their ways and be better prepared so these kind of temporary events do not effect themselves whatsoever. I watched a news clip the other day with a mother buying milk and bread last minute, before the roads started getting tough to travel for her. She said that during the last storm she ran out of food for her and the children after a couple of days.... I could only sigh and think if the true shtf...they will be the first to starve to death.

If "you" are not prepared for a large snow storm, with enough supplies to hold out for at least a week or so, there is a major failure in your planning and you need to get right. And "you" are at the right place to learn how to do it. This site has so much information on food storage, what to get for the "basics" and how to go about being prepared....use it.

BTPost, gunbunny, ghrit and 1 other person like this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I had to think about that statement for a bit.

Yes and No. Our world of today in the US accepts only the freshest at the supermarket level, if in doubt check out the dumpsters (if you can). Many stores now have no external access to their large self compacting dumpsters and they feed theses dumpsters from inside the store. So I can only suggest that what I say is true, but I do know that any veggies with the silghest blems are removed from the shelves and are shuttled to the back of the store. OH the food lost to that dumpster would feed a small operation such as mine without me purchasing any processed feed.

JIT is as much about Investment and ROI, Taxes, Storage/Floor Space, Theft and Computers as it is about freshness.

kellory likes this.
  4. kellory

true enough, but not a full answer. yes, they do toss anything that might give them a blackeye when it comes to freshness, or sellby dates and such. the risks of getting sued for bad food, or bad selling practices, lead to clearing boderline products as they reach a time limit, rather than actually showing damage or spoilage. However, many store do allow for shelters, and such to have first crack at whatever is going out the door to the dumpster. I have seen this first hand and know it is true. bakery goods, can goods, dry goods, and greens, they get first crack, and off the books. Managers are not stupid about this. But they have to balance the food lose against the possible money lose due to having too much short term food on hand, and spoiling, VS the first bad advertising and law suit for selling bad food. They have to err on the side of caution, and allowing the shelters to benefit from their lose is actually a good thing.
    Flowers go out nearly every day as well, and all of the buckets that I have been using for growing oak trees, have come from the flower department of my local grocery store. they cost me nothing, and I have about a hundred.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

And they get a Tax write off if the Shelter is a NonProfit... And that can be substantial....

6. kellory

Nope, they are off the books.

7. BTPost

Depends, on what the deal is...that was setup... Many, around here get a Tax WriteOff...
    They pull it, one or two days before the Due Date, and get to write it of as a donation in Kind...

Tracy likes this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

@Beano

Hi Beano, See if there is a community garden in your area and if not, get one started with like minded people. I was in a similar situation, living in an apartment with limited room for growing produce. I got involved with a local community garden start-up (Graceville Community Garden), and although I have moved out of the area, that community garden is flourishing, meeting real local community needs. About GCG | Graceville Community Garden I now live in my own house and have plenty of growing space, There is a local community garden that I have the option of joining, and I am involved as a volunteer in an ecologically sustainable living, information service, which gives me access to resources that assist my own domestic growing efforts. The Green Living Centre

Community Gardens In the USA

Community gardening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Community gardening in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

American Community Gardening Association

Gardens Project of Mendocino County

Pinterest

Even with an apartment, window boxes, and a balcony garden may be a possibility...it's surprising how productive a balcony garden can be.

Pinterest

Pinterest

Pinterest

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=indoor vegetable gardens

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    kellory likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Us Monkeys know that there is a need to have a supply of food stored & available. But how many times have I read that the local stores only have 3 days worth of food. I don't think this three days is a realistic number anymore. Now that they have shifted things and don't have a huge stock in back, I wonder how many days they really have.

If we see empty shelves in normal times or from a basic snow storm is it that they don't have the inventory or is it that the majority has little in their cupboards?

10. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I am hoping to convince my mother to invest in a pressure cooker this year so we can start canning meat. That's the one food item I am most concerned with having plenty on hand about, because growing our own food animals or even hunting, it takes alot of time/resources, and I would want to spend them on our gardening instead. Just got a thought that I will ask another agricultural friend nearby if I can buy a couple turkey chicks and have them raise them with theirs, so mom won't see them and it won't be an issue for her to eat them then. Of course when they slaughter their turkeys, their turkeys are like 20lbs+ if I remember right, and those are kinda too big for us to roast with our current cookware, plus it's a challenge to get them out of the roasting pan because we can't use the little rack with those size turkeys, it wouldn't fit at all. But could just cut all the meat off the bird and then can it.

chelloveck likes this.
  11. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Pressure canner would be wise.. It's not just for meat...

12. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Defensive cooker?

13. BTPost

Flame Thrower.... Offensive Cooker......

14. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I was married to an "offensive cooker" a while back..

gunbunny and kellory like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7