Do you take before and after pictures with your garden?

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Aloha! Most of my garden progress has been vegetation and weed removal. The torch really is a lifesaver. I have an area that used to be a 156,000 gallon pond and the man who built my homes used to fish from the back porch of the house. I fantasize about reviving the pond and had looked into ordering a pond liner in 2019, but back then the shipping cost was unreasonable. Now I'm looking into clay as an option.

Does anyone have experience with large ponds?

Hanzo likes this.
  2. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

This week I got the first avocadoes of the season and they were perfect.
    I posted a picture on social media with a caption that says, "You're FAT, but you're good fat." And I got a warning that posts with captions like that often get reported. I posted it just the same then decided that it's my sign to take a break from social media. Now I have so much extra time! Also, I'm thrilled because I found this dress at a garage sale for 50 cents. I'm a "wear the same outfit in different colors," kind of girl and I own just 4 dresses and my favorite one is a dress I got for $7 in 2010. With bargains like this, I don't mind spicing things up a bit.

Hanzo, Zimmy, Meat and 1 other person like this.
  3. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Birthday pic? Well, happy birthday, young lady! Well done, with your avocados, too! (y)
    Wish I could do the same here, but it would take a heated greenhouse to achieve that goal. Being a renter....well, maybe someday! :rolleyes:

Hanzo, Alanaana and Meat like this.
  4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Happy Birthday!

Hanzo and Alanaana like this.
  5. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Thank you very much :D ! I got lucky because avocadoes really love this humidity and climate. You can literally throw an avocado seed outside without covering it with soil and it will grow into a tree. I wish I could share some of this climate with you. I really admire the way that you grow such a nice garden with the space you have. You are very skilled and you can bring those skills with you everywhere you go.

Hanzo, Zimmy, natshare and 1 other person like this.
  6. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Thank you! This was one of my better birthdays and probably one of my healthiest ones too. Our accountability thread has really helped a lot.

7. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Hanzo likes this.
  8. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Hanzo, Zimmy and CraftyMofo like this.
  9. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Hanzo and Zimmy like this.
  10. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

NO! Because it is too sad! I start out full of enthusiasm, dreams, hopes and plans, but my work schedule, too much rain, heat, humidity, or drought results in disappointment! There are a few things that I can grow, okra, greens of every kind, and a few others, but for the most part I'd be better off going to the farmer's market or the grocery store! Usually, it's just a waste of effort and seeds.

Hanzo, Zimmy and Alanaana like this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The seed catalogs will be coming in the mail soon...

Hanzo, Zimmy and Alanaana like this.
  12. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Wildbilly Awww that is really sad and I can relate in a way. Gardens really don't love heat and humidity. It's nice that you can grow okra and greens. I think that okra blossoms are beautiful.
    Many of my plants don't do as well as they could here here due to the heart, humidity, pests, and fungus. I do try to treat for fire ants and with copper for the fungus, but it comes back quickly. Vines and peppers do decently here. Farmer's markets are lovely and a great way to support local farmers. Thank you for sharing!
    My enthusiasm for gardening was massive when I first arrived over 4 years ago and through the years I've run out of steam, but I still enjoy it in smaller increments.

13. matijasever

matijasever Monkey

Wishing you a harvest so bountiful

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    Hanzo, Alanaana and Zimmy like this.
  14. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I planted fresh crocus sativa bulbs. This is the source of saffron. I absolutely love yellow rice and paella. I decided to grow my own. This is the before picture.

20231203_120332.

Hanzo, Alanaana and CraftyMofo like this.
  15. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

This is very exciting! I really love crocus blossoms and the saffron spice. Thank you for sharing your before pic. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

16. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Hanzo likes this.
  17. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

It's been awhile, here are some exciting developments...
    I finally got my very first ice cream beans! It's hard to believe that this entire tree was just a 3 leaf seedling when I planted it back in 2020. These 4 years have flown by and I waited all this time to try ice cream beans because I wanted to try them from my own tree. I was so thrilled to see it in the moonlight for the first time, but I'll also post some daylight pictures soon.
    Starfruits are doing well too!
    My latest obsession is Carpenter Bees. I placed down these logs around the citrus grove and it was only a matter of days before the carpenter bees started drilling their perfectly round holes.
    What are you growing in your garden this year?

Hanzo likes this.
  18. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Hanzo likes this.
  19. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Hanzo likes this.
  20. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Hanzo and CraftyMofo like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 12, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Thai Chilis
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 4, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    I enjoyed my 1st Thai Chili Pepper harvest.
  5. Alanaana
    Trying to level up our curb appeal...
  6. Alanaana
    Media

Coconuts

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 3, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Gecko enjoying the fountain
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7