Do you take before and after pictures with your garden?

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Bears gonna get you in that!

Hanzo, Alanaana and Meat like this.
  2. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I eat blueberries every morning with oatmeal, it’s one of those things I forced myself to do along with eating spinach in the evening. I hate green stuff normally but I didn’t realize how good spinach was. Yum.

Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and Alanaana like this.
  3. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Gator 45/70 It's a different kind of paradise for all critters, I suppose. Imagine 5 acres of these beautiful berries. Even when I moved to Maine, the blueberry picking wasn't like this and we were all worried about ticks falling out of the sky.

@Meat That is such a healthy routine you have with 3 amazing superfoods! I enjoy how versatile spinach is. It's my favorite green for salads and it cooks down so well. Spinach sauteed with garlic and some olive oil is so good. I also used to throw it in a green smoothie.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2023
  4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I got in trouble from doc, had to improve a bit. Lol.

Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and Alanaana like this.
  5. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Meat Way to go! Same here. I'm mostly healthy, but had to make some massive lifestyle changes nutrition wise. It feels good to be proactive and take action, but it's also a process. Keep it up!

6. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

This one is dedicated to all the coffee lovers out there like @Dunerunner and anyone else who appreciates a good brew. Tea counts too! Even though coffee isn't directly applied to my taro plants, it is still my go-juice that gives me the energy to get things done. This is the same taro just a few weeks apart.

Always wear gloves when you're handling fresh taro because they have sharp little spines (I was wondering how and why the pigs were leaving it alone). Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way, but was able to soothe myself with some homemade taro chips... Lesson learned.

Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

8. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

It usually happens in April, but I decided to take my "Lychee Progress Pic" early this year. Hopefully I'll see some fruit soon.
    I'm a little embarrassed about my palm trees right now, but I need to get a new blade for my pole saw. For now, I'm letting the fronds drop as they will, but will change that soon.

9. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ah ha, I see Alaanna smiles and the world smiles with her .
    Looking good!

Hanzo and Alanaana like this.
  11. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Gator 45/70 Thank you so much! Hope you're doing well. On another note, I got a pig with my broadhead this morning. Was able to apply all the tips from everyone here and it was a much easier process.

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Alanaana and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Hanzo I have a bunch of these and they grow fast. Tell me more about them please. Are they safe to eat?

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Safe to eat. We graze on them on the trail and on our property all the time. Tastes kind of blueberryish. Try some and see if you like it.

I actually want to grow some blue vervain, but have to find it here. We graze on that on Oahu too. If there are a lot, I will pick a bunch. Not only does the plant have some medicinal value, the little flowers have a strong mushroom flavor and I will sprinkle them on salads.

15. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Hanzo You really have me sold on the blue vervain now. I'll have to see if I can find it and I'll let you know if I do. I had Mamaki, which I love, but it died. I think it disliked the shade.

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

It's all over on Oahu. Still learning Big Island.

Gator 45/70 and Alanaana like this.
  17. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Hanzo How do you like the Big Island compared to Oahu? My mom grew up in Oahu, but I haven't been since I was 1 so I don't remember it. Initially, we were going to move to Oahu or Maui, but I have always wanted to visit the Big Island. I didn't even know that it was possible to buy affordable land anywhere in Hawai'i. I found my property online and we took a leap of faith and bought it before visiting. It's been a dream come true. I do have to say though, that I didn't realize just how far away Hawai'i is from everywhere else. I thought New Zealand was far out when I moved there :ROFLMAO:. I also discovered that I hate flying so I'm glad I arrived before I figured that out.

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Both are very different. What I miss most about Oahu...

- City life
    - Variety and quantity of restaurants
    - Easy to get to trails and other outdoor adventure spots

What I don't like about Oahu...

- Too many people
    - Too much traffic
    - Too much crime
    - High cost of home ownership ($1mil+ median gets you an old small house on a small piece of land)

What I like about the Big Island...

- Less crowded
    - Slower pace
    - More friendly people (I have been called "my dear" and "my love" more often by strangers than ever on Oahu)
    - More affordable properties
    - Larger properties

What I don't like...

- Haven't figured out my eating places yet
    - Haven't figured out my adventure places yet
    - Costs for things related to the property are high
    - Don't know many people at all here yet
    - Have not developed my business here yet

Pretty much been working remotely; taking care of our property chores (I like and dislike); minding the dogs; going to Oahu to work, teach classes and help out with my mom, and repeat.

How about you, @Alanaana?

19. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Hanzo You sound so busy! I do notice that I'm happiest when I'm busy.

I think the Big Island is definitely the nicest place that we have lived in the US. At that time, my bf and I were at a point when we could move anywhere in the world (he's a retired Navy FC and my online business took off and continues to support us) and he let me choose where I wanted to go. I was trying to choose between Hawai'i, New Zealand, or Guam. We thought that it would be easiest to import cats to Hawaii, but it turns out that it ties with Singapore as the most challenging place in the world to import cats :ROFLMAO:

My goals for this move were to get some land so we could practice building geodesic domes and yurt prototypes, permaculture gardening and homesteading. I also wanted a rental that wouldn't have a shared space with us, and I wanted a good, comfortable climate for gardening, and living. High on the list was survival in case SHTF (I can talk about that here.) I also wanted to be on the coast and swim in water that wasn't ice cold. And I wanted a peaceful place where we could live comfortably and get healthy. This place helped me to accomplish all of these goals and more. It was a leap of faith because neither of us had ever been to the Big Island before moving here.

We've been here since 2019, but when we got here I'm pretty sure we got covid or something like it because everyone we met was super sick and we got sicker than we had ever been. It was a bit challenging because we didn't know anyone and didn't have a car for a month when we first got here and people were charging $50 to get groceries in Hilo. Thankfully, we made it. We talked about how they would probably announce a new kind of illness soon. It was a good place to be during lockdown, but it made me very paranoid because I don't want to get sick like that again. Even our cats and our friend's dogs were sick. Of course, I don't associate that at all with being here in Hawaii. It was just what was going around at the time.

As a result of the pandemic, it was a little more challenging to connect with people. I usually like to volunteer and get involved in the community, we've mostly stayed home this entire time. Also, I'm a very good driver and have NEVER gotten a single driving ticket, but I'm afraid to drive here because I've seen so much horrific swerving and awful collisions. It's gotten a little better, but a bit of a new fear I never had.

I love the beaches, but on this side of the island I do recommend water shoes for entering (because the floor is lava and can be sharp.)

I love the climate for gardening and survival. I think it's wonderful to have so much accessible water.

Taxes are a nightmare for business owners. We always pay our taxes, but dang! The more you make the more they take.

Power / energy is too expensive especially since this island is on geothermal. Everything in general is pretty expensive here.

I'm also trying to figure out the good places to eat here. I'll let you know if I think of some. Have you been to Ning's Thai in Pahoa? It's pretty good, but you're probably a better cook and they don't seem to have scallops any more.

I feel like I complained a lot during this post. I am happy to call this place home.

20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You are brave! I want to pick your brains on your online business. Maybe over a meal. Countryside Cafe is a go to of mine for breakfast. I sometimes go after I drop my wife and daughter off at the airport. I'll get the Bruddah's Breakfast and share with the dogs. Usually comes with eggs, bacon, Portuguese sausage, spam and rice. It's pretty big. One of the nice ladies there told me I can swap out the spam for more bacon, so that's what I do. She had me at bacon. Plus the ladies there call me, "my dear" or "my love," so what's not to like?

Wife and daughter liked Ning Thai, but daughter's favorite is Lava Thai on the main road. The ladies there are super nice and the food is good. I'm trying to find good places to eat too. On Oahu, I'm in foodie heaven. Here, I am foodie newbie.

We actually have been busy and not really explored to much yet. I have taken a couple of forays with the dogs. Only had a few little adventures with the family. So much yard work! I actually have been in the house most of the time, then doing chores and errands. Haven't met many people here yet either. Glad to find one of my classmates lives in HPP. But I have only seen him once so far.

Glad you guys are healthy and thriving! If I haven't already, I'll tell you about the "witch's brew" next time.

Gator 45/70 and Alanaana like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 12, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Thai Chilis
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 4, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    I enjoyed my 1st Thai Chili Pepper harvest.
  5. Alanaana
    Trying to level up our curb appeal...
  6. Alanaana
    Media

Coconuts

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 3, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Gecko enjoying the fountain
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7