Discrete BOBs?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by monkeyman, Apr 28, 2008.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Good eye there. I bought a bunch of them from Galls and I actually keep them in the side panel of the doors in our vehicles in the event we have to make a quit exit.

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yeah I dont figure that a main battle rifle and loads of ammo wouldnt be needed, especialy since would be mostly rural and no more than 50 miles. OTOH wish it was more practical to have my carry gun with a couple mags and/or a .22 rifle to catch some fast food along the way (rabbits, squirles, etc......meat that runs faster than me) as well as in case of agressive dogs or coyotes or the chance of running into a 2 legged threat. Figure that even if could take whatever I wanted, like in my own truck, would be a fairly small BOB, my daily carry gun and maybe a 10/22 with a box or 2 of shells.

I figure the reality will be just the para cord on my hat, the knives and lighters in my pocket, a water bottle, some purification tabs, gatorade mix, and maybe a small tarp or heavy mill plastic for a shelter and possibly a little junk food or if can find them a couple MREs and a small first aid kit. Dont know, may toss in a survival net and a few snares just so better preped if had to walk and either found home was no good when got there or busted a leg or some such and took a lot longet than expected. I figure I should still be able to cover that distance in a couple days on foot 3 days at if slowing down for caution or some such.

3. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

I carry a Maxpedition Janus Extension pocket that rides horizontal on my belt. It measures 8x4x1.5 and houses a small fishing kit, 30 waterproof matches, a swedish steel, combat/survival folding knife, plastic sheeting for a solar still, emergency blanket to serve as shelter, 15 feet of 550 para cord, survival placard, small first aid kit complete with 2 sutures and 5 butterfly's, survival gum to keep the saliva working and one Suunto compass.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Re: BOB's what type do you use?

I'd say the most discrete these days would be an oversize laptop carrier. For "long" walks, the shoulder strap would be a must.

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Re: BOB's what type do you use?

I have a few extra of those, I might have to try them out. I have only used them for laptops. I would think that an extended trip would wear you out if much weight was in the bag, but for a close trip it would probably be okay.

6. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

Each bag is 5” wide at the top, 9 “ wide at the bottom, 13” high and 3” thick at the bottom tapering to ½” at the top. 17 accessory loops 3 of them are elastic and are removable and 2 are elastic and not removable. There is 1 flash light pocket on the left shoulder strap. The shoulder straps are adjustable from 23” to 31” and have a elastic strap with Velcro to hold the shoulder straps in place on your chest. There is Velcro in the back to hold the 2 bags together. The bag splits so that 2 people can carry it. Each bag has a zipper 6” wide 4.5” from the top. I only have black and brown and red, blue and maybe a few dark and light blue but I will have to do some digging to know for sure if I have any left. Any question other then price?

BOB 023. BOB 024. BOB 026. BOB 027. BOB 028.

7. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

The way you described it makes it sound like saddle bags. Looks pretty roomy. How heavy do you believe it to be?

8. rimfirehunter

rimfirehunter Monkey++

Based on the scenario of this topic I have several smaller kit bags I use. First is a relatively small day pack that looks more like a school back pack than anything else, it holds a decent amount of basic gear and is always my first choice to take along. Another quick carry option is one of several small gym type bag, not much larger than a good size purse but they hold a good bit of gear and have shoulder straps for extended walking.

Most recent addition is a really nice looking American Tourister Carry-On bag with shoulder strap. This bag fits the size requirements for carry on luggage when boarding a plane for air travel and looks more like a lap top case or professional soft sided brief case. This bag would fit right in at an office, hotel, restaurant, airport (minus certain contents), church or funeral and not draw any unwanted attention like a gym bag or even a small back pack. Picked this one up at Wal Mart for $5 on a clearance isle.

9. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

Less then a 1 lb.

10. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

My goodness, that's the perfect weight too. I'm jealous. My pack weighs about 18 pounds without a tent/bedroll/sleeping bag and I thought that was light.

11. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

I can start taking orders I have red/blue, D blue/L blue and black/brown. I also have some that are child or dog size. Tell me what you are willing to pay for something like this.

12. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

I wouldn't give up my pack for anything. Outside of my ruck, I carry my hear in my Tactical Tailor MAV. It is similar to your item there, but has been through a few scraps and held up well. I'll have to get some photos of it and post what I speak of.

13. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

necro bug out bag posting

14. Roachboy

Roachboy Monkey

No problem. My firekit [Basically pomade, cottonballs, a zippo or bic, and a pack of stormproof matches if necessary], a small stainless steel waterbottle and dog bowl, vice grips, small first aid kit, My 'big' knife, my pocket knife, an axehead [the whole axe if it fits but in a pinch i could make a handle], some beef jerky, some ramen, trash bag, camo tarp, mini flashlight, wool army blanket, and depending on the area i'm headed to or the area between destination and home maybe some wire for traps.

15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

With pomade...Roachboy will be the slickest survivor of Armageddon! ;)

pomade-shop-poster.

pomade will do the same job as petroleum jelly, just that it will smell nicer when styling one's hair to attract female survivors.
    pomade-shop-poster.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Jeeze Louise, Do they still sell that stuff?

17. chelloveck

I think pomade futures took a dive when Happy Days stopped being prime time viewing.

18. Roachboy

Roachboy Monkey

Well, the label is in spanish but it's basically the same stuff XDD Comes in a nice tin that you can seal nicely with a little electrical tape, and re use for other purposes if you happen to use it up. And hey, in a survival situation anything that lessens the stink is a bonus I think P:

chelloveck likes this.
  19. chelloveck

In a survival situation, follow the grey man strategy and stink the same as the rest...riding through zombie land like Rudolf Valentino, smelling like a brilliantined Sheik of Araby may just attract unwanted attention. The VC in 'nam could often smell the Americans before they could see them, and vice versa.

Nice that you have a sense of humour...it's a welcome attribute in this place! [winkthumb]

Roachboy likes this.
  20. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Please
    WestPointMAG

Can you increase the font size ? My white stick has a hard time on following the bumps ..
    Im 34 young of a century and have a very hard time reading your scrip ..

Sloth

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7