Cranky Enfield

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by crowdaddy, Apr 7, 2022.

1. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Monkey++

The one I have looks different. It has the rectangle on the back end' but after looking at Numrich description, they say it is factory org. piece for 2A1... ok. I was coming back on line to say I think I found it. Searching Apex Gun Parts site. While they don't have an 2A piece but they have three C/Hs for the No4 Enfield and the late version appears identical to mine. Looking at the No.5 ungle carbine it looks to also have the same one as mine.

Ok, so what do you think

2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

If it's in stock, that's good. If it's in stock and looks the same as the original, that's even better.

crowdaddy and Seawolf1090 like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I thought about getting an Enfield, and a K-98 Mauser, years ago when they were cheap, but the cost and availability of the ammo kept me from pulling the trigger.:cool:

crowdaddy likes this.
  4. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Monkey++

I had a No.1 MKIII but traded it years ago. Ammo was the reason I traded it. And like all trades I wish I hadn't, but hey...I have a Turkish Mauser now. It will shoot that 8mm thru a fresh railroad tie and keep on going! I like the 2A1 as it is 7.62x51/ 308. It is the short version, like the jungle carbine. While heavy for it's size, it is handy. Also kicks like a mule, ( with the power of two mules )...

CraftyMofo likes this.
  5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Some trades you regret and some you don't. My late Father had a Winchester "Big Bore" lever-action rifle in 375 H&H, and he always regretted trading that gun...until the day I told him that ammo was $5 per round (and that was 12-15 years ago). After that I think that he came to accept that it was all for the best.

crowdaddy and Seawolf1090 like this.
  6. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Monkey++

Unlike the No.1MKIII, I have plenty of surplus ammo for the Mauser. Mostly Turkish, and some Hungarian stuff. The Turk looks rather long in the tooth.A lot of the brass looks like it is on it's last reload, but never a problem. The Hungarian on the other hand looks brand new. Olive lacquered cases and nickle? plated bullets! Problem is when you go to shoot it, it might fire or it might not. And that's to the tune of 50% of the time! Don't know why, just guessing maybe stored in a damp/ wet environment. but it is so unreliable I put it in a couple of cans, and stash it away for some last ditch apocalypse shit.

STGThndr and CraftyMofo like this.
  7. Thats really cool.

8. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Monkey++

Waiting on parts in the mail. I'll up date when i get em installed...

CraftyMofo likes this.
  9. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Monkey++

Ok, so I got my new cocking handle from Numrich. I went with the one that hot diggity had posted in the thread. It looks different than the one that broke, but stated it was for the 2A1 mkIII. Cleaned off the cosmoline and got it installed. Took it out and put 10 rounds through it ,no problem. I'm a happy camper now...

20220502_174218.

20220502_174109.

hot diggity and CraftyMofo like this.
  10. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

Non-firing ammo is frustrating, for sure. Consider pulling the bullets and reloading, unless the stuff is berdan-primed, which would complicate matters a bit, but not entirely......

crowdaddy likes this.
  11. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

Dittos on the .303 ammo, I got lucky and bought up a stash of Lend-Lease Winchester ammo for the .303. And I reload for the caliber as I like the rifle and the round. I foolishly let an Ishie 7.62x51 slip thru my fingers years ago, mostly due to concerns about the strength of the action vs 7.62x51 ammo.
    Not to hijack your thread, "but" concerning the 7.92x57 Mauser, I bought so much east Euro surplus a few years ago I'll never run out in this lifetime, bought cheap and stacked deep! I do like my Mausers... Even bought a bunch of that stinky Turkish stuff- hot, but never misfires, in my experience. The Turk is as close as I'm likely to get to a German '98, and judging by the stampings it even has some Turk-installed '98 parts.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    crowdaddy likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7