Cooking inside in a power outage.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

There are so many ways to survive.... one just has to plan and prepare to have the right tools.
    After that, it is just having the training/experience to do what you have learned. ;)

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

That and nice sunny day is not a problem.

Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Just saw on the Weather Channel that 14 million people in Texas haven't got drinking water...I'll bet that half of those people don't know that you can drink tap-water...or won't! Kinda like ED out in L.A..:rolleyes:

Gator 45/70 and BTPost like this.
  4. HK_User

Tap water is not safe when the water pressure has been less than the back pressure from contaminated systems due to a lack of pumping pressures because of a lack of a sustainable power grid due to blackouts and leaks.

And some municipalities have run out of chlorine due to the storms affect on the transportation system.

Testing is iffy at this time until the fuel supply is stable for transport of samples.

Same effect hurricanes have on systems just a different cause.

Bottled water is provided at centers in town.

Message from Erath County, TX
    Yahoo/Inbox
    Sat, Feb 20 at 9:46 AM
    Bottled water available for free at the Bosque River Center in front on the old JC Penney's store 2900 W Washington St, Stephenville. Hours are 9am - 5pm today Feb 20, 2021

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The small "dorm room" microwave units (<800 watt) will run fine from a 1kW / 12VDC unit.

I see where Ford is asking dealers to loan out their F-150s with the 8KW inverter package...

Makes me wonder if I should change out the 12 v/ 100 v 'converter' on my Eurovan Camper to a battery charger/inverter.
    [​IMG]
    OEM

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

You're f@@@@@ without water. Biggest prep bar none,

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

What with breaks in water lines due to freezing and low pressure due to loss of power I can understand the restrictions on drinking tap water. However, most people would die of thirst before they would drink tap water under normal conditions! You would think one was suggesting they drink from a mud puddle or toilet bowl...kinda like good old ED!
    Back during Y2K I told a friend of mine that there was a couple of gallons of water in the toilet tank, she thought that I was talking about the toilet bowl! I had to take her to the bathroom and show her the difference.
    Remember when we tried to tell ED that you could eat food straight from the can without cooking it...he was sure that we were trying to poison him. And when we tried to tell him that he could drink tap water....the same.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    BTPost and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. HK_User

I guess we deal with an entirely different mindset of people. Drag them on down to the ranch and they'll change or die.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Anybody know if residential building codes in Texas even take things like freezing temperatures into consideration? I can think of a whole bunch of ways to build a house that will fail in freezing weather. In building codes, like life, never say never.

STANGF150 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. HK_User

TEXAS, we don't need any more controls on what we do. Build what is safe and according to Residential Building Codes and you will be OK.
    As to other codes, exactly what are you wanting to build?
    Other standards are according to area aka townships etc, deed restrictions or the like.
    I built so far above the norm that the Co-Op inspector saw the electrical conduit, schedule 80 PVC pipe, steel reinforced concrete and signed off on the Co-Op permit for a 200 amp service. Presentation is every thing.

STANGF150, Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Found out today my pressure safety valve works on the propane tank I had filled a few days ago.
    As the sun hit it and started warming it up it would release propane.
    Solution, Got out the 1# bottle adaptor and filled up a bottle.
    No more wasted propane venting to atmosphere !

oldawg and HK_User like this.
  12. HK_User

I use propane refilables for a couple of different things. Lantern, small portable grill etc. Run a large double burner unit from my 40s.
    I may run a aux generator from propane tank as i have a spare 200 gallon tank.

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Limit the fill to under 80 percent of volume, you should have no reliefs lifting. There's a reason for expansion space and for NOT storing them in the sun.

HK_User likes this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

And ALWAYS remember that to Propane is heavier than Air... So if it vents it will run downhill, ALWAYS.. and in a. building will head to the basement if it can... One of the reasons that FAEs using Propane work really well in caves, like Tora Bora...

HK_User likes this.
  15. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

We (as in the USAF) tested some early FAE bombs at the range where I was working.

A 250 lb sized device (filled with liquid naptha) , when detonated, caused the blockhouse window shutters to bow in - 7 miles away.

your tax dollar at work.

roll your own

16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

As of 2008 ( when I retired) they were taking the FAE devises and wrapping them in explosives, kind of like shaped charges, the idea being they could super compress the large fuel load until it reached critical mass and then Detonated! Those are some pretty impressive explosives! They also added willy pete and some other "Additives" to them some times, stuff the main charge could spread out and cause all sorts of extra damage!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7