Collapse of Civilization - What to expect

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Dunerunner, Dec 5, 2022.

1. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

wife and i are getting all our ducks in a row, wish it wasn't needed but we've been buying it cheap & stacking it deep for years now. will we weather the storm, don't know and can't see the future. probably missed something in our preps, holes needed to be plugged but we're doing the best we can with what we have in the time remaining. sorry only going to take care of our own sounds callus but we can't feed or protect the world. we won't turn away a hungry or abused child but not going to take care of the whole family either, sorry they need to suck it up, be in control of their life and fate, not up to me to take care of them. don't come to me demanding anything you won't like my answer ![violin][flag]

2. Qwertyportne

Qwertyportne Monkey

Yes, the news gets closer and closer to reflecting the apocalyptic fiction I've read. Alas Babylon, Earth Abides, Lucifer's Hammer, Lights Out and others. All of them reminds me that civilized behavior is only skin deep and three days long. But these stories also remind me that a significant number of people are going to see the advantage of networking with like-minded survivors. My Zap novel conveys that approach.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

4. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I'd argue over drinks we are already at 8. Waiting on 9

5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I haven't lost faith in humanity pulling it together yet. After the 1st die off and before the golden horde I anticipate A LOT OF VIGILANTISM and that it will be extreme.

Rule of law doesn't protect the good people. Rule of law protects bad people from lynch mobs because we cede that authority to cops/courts/etc for good roads, schools, and a fear of being prosecuted by that same government we are supporting. WROL everybody the neighborhood feared will probably be shot from a distance or burned out if they can't find a purpose in the new community.

Will it be fair? Oh hell no! Ignorance, prejudice, and biases supported by our current culture will lead to untold murders of innocent and well meaning people.

I believe this will shake out into neighborhood independent bodies. Some teamwork will develop. Sharing will be mandatory but some sympathy for the young and aged. Labor for the common good will become mandatory. That asshole who argues everything at the home owner assn. meetings? Gone by whatever means needed. New leaders will be in absolute power. Ya gotta hope they're good ones.

These will fight for control amongst each other until the big hunger brings the Horde.
    After the Horde (2nd dying), feudalism at its best and worst will prosper. As these grow together, I anticipate knight, barons, dukes, etc, to eventually lead to a king that forces them all under his rule.

Under a king, laws that promote productivity and defense will grow. Inefficient assholes will be fazed out. Liberty will peek out from the bunker.

We will start over.

My guesses, anyway.

jim2, STGThndr and Seawolf1090 like this.
  6. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

I'm with you Zimmy, when it's WROL time there will be no more mr. nice guy. I go with the 3 S's (shoot, shovel & shut up), I'm not a violent person, honestly never killed anyone, but I'm not a fool either, when it's dog eat dog, i'll do what i have to do. I hope no one comes to my AO to burn/loot/hurt, wife and I would try to help others but can't help everyone or feed everyone, as you said about a 1st & 2nd die off, i hope to survive past them, but you never know. Don't wish it, but i see the writing on the wall, i said it on another thread, i have a real crystal ball but haven't figured how make it work, YET! I hope when the day comes, all the monkeys on here will weather the storm that's coming! (y);)

jim2 and chelloveck like this.
  7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Pretty much how it's gone time after time through the eons. Rinse and repeat.

jim2, Zimmy and mechstdr like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Who stands to profit through this disaster?
    Usually, if the event is manmade there is a motivation that drives it usually money but with money loosing value what could be the driving force?

jim2 likes this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Power thru Government iis the answer…

jim2, Dunerunner and VisuTrac like this.
  10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Like..... What we have now? Government has long lost the concept they are supposed to work FOR the public, not shear them like sheep.

jim2 and VisuTrac like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I just watched Amerigedon.
    Good flic.

12. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Where did you see it?

13. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

If you want to read about "Power thru Government" after a major drawn-out social disruption, read Solzhenitzen's "Gulag Archipelago" He writes very graphically in places about how the old society of the Tsars collapsed and why and how the soviets managed to take control. Widespread violence, oppression, actual starvation in places, authoritarian controls of the cities and the countryside, hordes of people arrested for imaginary "crimes" against "The People" and put to work as slave laborers on huge projects. So yes, "The Power Of Government" aka "tyranny" can make things happen in a big way, but don't be surprised if you don't survive the changes.

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. AgentPickle
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. VisuTrac
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. enloopious
  10. Dunerunner
  11. oldman11