Collapse of Civilization - What to expect

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Dunerunner, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Groups like the Amish might survive The Fall, but only if they ally with a well-armed group of Preppers. Otherwise the Golden Horde will devour them.
    We might see some shortlived "city-states" led by bandit lords based in the ruins of cities, but that will end when the food/slaves runs out. I imagine a good 90% of Humanity will be gone after the first winter. Those left will learn to be brutally efficient in survival.
    Maybe in another few hundred years, Mankind might experience another Renaiscence, and reinvent technology. Hopefully they avoid allowing raging liberalism to rise up.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

It will come in waves. Violence once the realization sets in that it is a permanent end. Then the initial die-off of those not prepared or equipped to survive beyond a few weeks, including those that need medication for survival. This followed by a longer die off of those without means of producing their own food and water. Violent gangs will only be at the initial event when they fight for resources left in the stores, and they too will die off pretty early. People that are left will have to adopt a spirit of cooperation or die themselves. And Trump will move to Australia to become the new Prime Minister of the Commonwealth.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and Bandit99 like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

There was a book series written by S.M.Stirling, some years ago, that went into this. In the first book "Dies the Fire" society collapses and there are the fights for survival among various groups, and to just survive the first year. In the second book "The Protector's War" the surviving groups have formed very different societies, there is the PPA (knights in shining armor with serfs), the Celtic/Witches (in kilts), the Bearkillers (warriors in dull armor), the University/City State, the Farmers & Ranchers, and the Indian Tribes....and that is just in the Pacific Northwest! Other books (there are 12 in all) introduce civilizations in Canada, Alaska, Queensland, Tasmania, New Zealand, Japan, Africa, Mongolia (the Golden Horde rides again), England (King Charles rules), Central and South America, Italy (the Pope has left the Vatican), Nebraska (a world power with 1 million people), North Korea (the Kim's still rule), and others!

Zimmy, Idahoser, STGThndr and 4 others like this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I could see something akin to the first three books of the "Out Of The Ashes" series by William Johnstone. The succeediing books just got silly. Also I could see something like "Lucifer's Hammer" happening, as far as the human interactions and warfare.

Zimmy, Qwertyportne, Idahoser and 5 others like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Found here
    Dies the Fire: A Novel of the Change: Stirling, S. M.: 9780451460417: Amazon.com: Books

note that the book was published in 2005 and written in prior years.

Dies the Fire - Wikipedia
    "In Dies the Fire, S. M. Stirling chronicles two groups during "The Change", a mysterious worldwide event suddenly alters physical laws so electricity, gunpowder, and most other forms of high-energy-density technology no longer work. As a result of this, modern civilization comes crashing down."

Not unlike the novel - The Waveries by Frederic Brown.
    This "electricity, guns, motors, etc stop working" is not a new memes

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    Zimmy, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I agree. I have always thought the Out of the Ashes series, like you said first 3 books at least, are almost prophetic. I could well see the survivors banding together into countries within a country. With local warlords and roaming gangs in the beginning but later people will always try to create a society, we are just drawn to it. So you have the "New Africa" and the SUSA, southern United States. And hopefully there will be a Tri-States. But as in the books, not everyone can live in a truly free society. Too many people need a govt to solve thier problems and tell them how to live.

Zimmy, GOG, Dunerunner and 3 others like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We in the coastal south are masters at banding together, I've had plenty of practice.
    Andrew, Katrina, etc etc.
    But I'm getting older and don't know how much fight I have left in me?

techsar, Zimmy, jim2 and 3 others like this.
  8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I think it will go faster in heavily populated areas.
    The animal instincts and pack behavior are already evident on the news. After the cameras go dark and the internet is no more, the news will get out, maybe on foot, but it will get out. Folks that live far away from big cities will have banded together like they always have at a local wedding or seafood boil and will block access to the neighborhoods. It will not be like other countries because of the prevalence of arms. Just imagine the nasty stuff that a bunch of old retired Marines can set up without any rules of engagement to protect their neighborhood.

For the majority of the country it will be slow going. Like Uncle Billy borrowing your generator and saying you can have it back after it won't run because he never checked the oil. Family unraveling, society failing, slowly. It will be prime time for great leaders to step up and take charge of vast areas. What we don't know is if they will be in the mold of Patton, returning to the Philippines or Hitler as chancellor of Germany.

After that it will be tribal warfare over control of resources or territory. Until a balance is achieved and local trade can be restored without violence it will be a rough time.

My hope is that enough older folks that attended civics classes survive to teach the lessons of Jamestown, and other budding colonial towns and come to accept that capitalism is the solution. An even slower peace will follow, but this will be much faster than other countries because of the prevalence of arms.

Good men with arms will be the key

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    GOG, crowdaddy, SB21 and 6 others like this.
  9. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I believe it is coming, if nothing else from the division the government keeps creating. When White vs. Black quit working they started shoving gay vs. straight at us, and now it is vaxxed vs. unvaxxed. The jabbed in the wife's family already thumbs their nose at us because we didn't take that perfectly safe vaccine. The Gov does not even hide the fact that they want to create divisions among the populace anymore, and MSM fuels it readily. At least in my Southeastern AO people come together easily when faced with a threat, but that's during good times when every one has a full belly. After the initial shock will come the greed, then the bargaining, then the fighting, and finally the working together. The prepared will be juicy targets, the smart will form battle groups. Everyone else will be a wild card. I can't remember the movie, but I remember a quote, "People are stupid, panicky animals". It only takes one hurricane to see this: lots pull together, but more panic and some take advantage. I had friends in Kentucky that went through the big tornado, and they related the same thing, many cleaning up, some stealing, and most freaking out trying to get fuel and supplies. I think maybe those that survive the first 90 days will continue to survive, but I think they will be a small number. The lack of Insulin and other drugs will likely decimate 50% of the American population.

10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Watched part of a video yesterday ,, didn't get to see it all . But the guy is predicting a worldwide recession . Looks like we may get a taste of 1930's America before to long . I'm nowhere near the position I'd like to be to survive a total collapse ,, so I'll just stick around as long as possible ,, then make a full on assault to take out as many of the bad guys as possible ,, hopefully to thin the herd for you guys a little . Maybe I'll a few of ya on the other side.

gii shi kan dug and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

So, what is everyone's 1 prep that isn't "mainstream"? Mine is cash, both bills and change. No one carries cash anymore. Dad gave me a $100 bill to carry always and I always have. It isn't the same one as I have had to use it several times over the years, but will always keep one there in his memory. BTW, that was in 1980 when $100 was a ton of money.

STGThndr, GOG, Dunerunner and 5 others like this.
  12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yes sir ,, I think I was making about 4.50 an hour in early 80 . Wish we were still in them days ,, in a way . I'd rather be there now ,, than here , now .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Some 70 % silver, some trash coinage, some copper, some 99% silver rounds, tons of .22lr, and I can brew beer.

14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Unless they can't or won't make change, or don't accept cash. Those Texas Tens are nice, until they won't buy squat! Whenever I traveled, I carried my money in a variety of denominations and change too! Now days it might also be good to have a pre-paid debt card for electronic purchases.

Dunerunner, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

About the only thing strait up that works during and after a hurricane with no electricity and the towers are down is cash!!!

16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

But you gotta have small bills or else leave a huuuuuuuuugh tip!

17. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

20 fives is still a franklin , 4 bits /50c / 8 bits is still a buck.
    tip is watch over there, goofys
    S

18. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Two local things I've seen in the past 30 days. Two Whiz Mart convenience stores have closed, and school busses have refused to pick up kids in a large neighborhood because their roads are so poor.

IMG_20221216_101948.

Little things.

Another odd thing was that a crew came down the road and dug out the ditches along only one side of the road for about a mile. They did a beautiful job. Now I wonder if this was a job that the county hired contractors to do, or somebody really desperate for top soil.

IMG_20221213_134637.

19. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@hot diggity
    I once got that ditch soil for the right price , but broken glass to crap , was not worth the time
    Sloth

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Looking at the soil profile, who would be desperate enough for that quality of 'top soil'...it is what it is...clean fill.

hot diggity and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. AgentPickle
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. VisuTrac
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. enloopious
  10. Dunerunner
  11. oldman11