Cigar Digest 2018/2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brokor, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

La Gloria Cubana Serie 'R' Black
    lagloria_black.

Yes, it's a strong cigar! I've placed this very line of cigars at the top of my list of favorites because it's just so well rounded and robust. La Gloria Cubana is no stranger to the cigar world, possessing a long and proud heritage from Cuba. The spicy, peppery, cocoa and earthy flavors dance around and maintain their presence the entire time you smoke. I prefer the Churchill length and wide gauge so I can slowly enjoy this masterpiece.
    DSC00128.JPG
    If you'd like to add some truly full flavored cigars to your collection, these are about the best you're going to get in my opinion.

DSC00129.JPG DSC00130.JPG DSC00131.JPG DSC00132.JPG
    Buy them by the box for less than $5 per cigar, or on sale to stock up! Price can be as high as $10 ea., and stocks run out all the time. :5s:

Mountainman likes this.
  2. Brokor

CAMACHO TRIPLE MADURO (Robusto)
    camacho_TR.
    This is a fantastic cigar. I've always been aware of Camacho's great reputation, but when I heard the world's first all-maduro cigar was also Camacho, I jumped on it. It's got everything a full bodied cigar should have, with earth notes, spice, and full, bold flavors. After the first third, this cigar evens out nicely and remains this way to the end. From start to finish, this cigar is a terrific, bold ride. If I could give 6 stars, I would.

DSC00141.JPG DSC00142.JPG :5s:
    Price: $8 - $12 each

Mountainman likes this.
  3. Brokor

Montecristo Media Noche (Edmundo - Robusto)
    MC_MN.

The only maduro currently made by Montecristo, the Media Noche is smooth and produces a thick, pleasant smoke. My experience was good, and this cigar smokes evenly and the draw is always consistent. At first, it is more light bodied, but after about half way through, it livens up into a really nice medium cigar that pairs well with root beer. Well, that's just my opinion, anyway. This isn't a spicy stick, but it is nutty and smooth with a sweet backend.

DSC00144.JPG
    Strange thing, the Romeo Y Julieta also looks exactly like this cigar, and it's also called the Media Noche, only less expensive. I noticed I had a couple in my humidor and I will have a review on this cigar coming soon.
    DSC00148.JPG Weird...but cool.

DSC00145.JPG DSC00147.JPG :4s:
    Price: $9 - $17 each

Mountainman likes this.
  4. Brokor

Rocky Patel The Edge (maduro robusto)
    DSC00133.JPG
    Oh, man...my favorite cigar maker and their most popular line. How do you think this goes? Well, you could go with the corojo version of these, or even any of their fumas or other releases of The Edge, but this review is just on the maduro. It's a full bodied cigar, but it has some smooth medium qualities as well, and that's because it's a Rocky Patel cigar that has been aged 5 years before even being rolled. But, don't be fooled, this has plenty of kick with the spicy notes and rich, sweet flavor that will draw you in for more. This is another cigar I often smoke down to where I can't even hold on to the remnants. These are premium vintage cigar quality sticks at a reasonable price, it's no wonder why they are so popular.

DSC00134.JPG DSC00135.JPG :5s:

Get them on sale!!! ( I believe I only spent $50 per box on sale)

Mountainman likes this.
  5. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

10 cigar sampler and comes with a wood humidor for $20 + $5 shipping.

Ultimate Humidor Combo #451 - Cigars International

Strange. I tried it again and it went to the right place. Try this link.

Ultimate Humidor Combo #451 - Cigars International

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2018
  6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

@Mountainman - don't want to hijack but tour link takes me to a $159 sampler pack, not $20. Just curious if something changed.

I don't smoke at all anymore but was intrigued by what would have been $2 cigars...which would have been surprising.

That link worked as expected with a $139 savings. I'll let those who smoke 'em rate 'em.

(y)(y)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2018
    Mountainman likes this.
  7. Brokor

Yes, that's a very nice deal. I hope the humidor is "sure seal" technology and solid cedar inside, but even at that price if it isn't and it holds a good seal anyway, heck for $20 the cigars are worth more than that. Too bad I already have three wooden humidors sitting around empty that I don't use.

Gator 45/70 and Mountainman like this.
  8. Brokor

5 VEGAS Series 'A' (size: "Archetype" - toro)
    5Vegas_Series_A.
    Limited Release
    "It provides the perfect balance between body and flavor and will last right down to the nub. The complexity of this medium to full-bodied blend comes from its three-country filler, which has been aged for four years to give it a perfect balance."

When you take a dry pull, it's a really tasty, chocolaty draw. After first lighting, the flavors are all there, cedar, earthy goodness, and a compliment of sweetness. Through the entire cigar you will receive a wonderful, smooth experience from start to the tiny roach clip you're left clinging onto.

DSC00149.JPG
    DSC00150.JPG

Absolutely fantastic medium to full bodied cigar with lots of flavor and very nice complexity! :5s:

Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Love me some Macanudo's!!!

10. Brokor

Brick House Fumas (robusto)
    brick_House.
    At the price of $42.50 which is 50% off suggested MSRP, you might be a little skeptical as to whether or not these sticks are any good. Then, we find out it's a J.C. Newman production made in Nicaragua with the 'Cuban Sandwich' technique, and it all starts to make sense. These are quality cigars without the box, offered in a pack of 20 and are very flavorful all the way through with smooth, balanced notes of cream, cedar, and spice. Just be careful, the wrapper can be a little fragile. For the price, there can't be a reason to complain.
    DSC00151.JPG DSC00152.JPG :4.5s:
    Excellent cigars at a great price. Highly recommended.
    Price: Just over $2 per cigar

(I am always keeping some of these stocked in my humidor, they're that good.)

11. Brokor

Rocky Patel Sun Grown (toro)
    RP_sungrown.
    "The Rocky Patel Sun Grown features a five-year-old Ecuadorian sun grown wrapper, and seven year Dominican and Nicaraguan filler tobaccos delivering a smooth complex smoke. This full bodied line is meant for the seasoned aficionado who can handle a punch, lingering body, and full finish."

I believe every Patel cigar has a certain smoothness that can only be found in well aged tobacco, and this Sun Grown variety is no exception. From the beginning to the last draw, it's incredibly robust and full of flavor, yet smooth and evenly balanced. On the retro-hale, it gives off a nice, smooth peppery note, and fills the senses with it's well aged, creamy smoke. The strength is a solid medium body and it tones up a bit to be more full body toward the end but still remains smooth. I'll be watching for these to be on sale so I can add a healthy amount to the humidor.
    DSC00154.JPG DSC00155.JPG DSC00158.JPG :5s:
    Perfection. I expect nothing less from Rocky Patel.
    Price: $7 - $9 each

Gator 45/70 and Mountainman like this.
  12. Brokor

Diesel WICKED (torpedo)
    cs-j6f.
    This is one of the ultra premium cigars and latest return release, pure Nicaraguan awesomeness in a the shape of torpedo that will defy all the naysayers and send your taste buds into overdrive. It's strong, but not too strong, so "full bodied" is definitely accurate. The flavors are there, coffee, leathery notes, a backend of pepper at various stages, a little citrus, and smoothness all around.

Well, here are some pictures. This cigar is very, very good.

DSC00182.JPG
    DSC00184.JPG DSC00185.JPG DSC00186.JPG DSC00188.JPG
    Look at that burn, look at the ash. That's a great cigar.
    :4.5s:

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hahaha

broker.

Mountainman and Brokor like this.
  14. Brokor

nica_libre_10.

Nica Libre 1990 (toro)

Rolled with a dark and oily San Andres maduro wrapper, Nica Libre contains a balanced blend of Nicaraguan long-leaf tobaccos all secured by a toothy Habano binder.

Very good, hearty flavors, well made. Affordable and obtainable. :4s:

(I am shortening my reviews to save time and keeping a personal journal instead. If you would like any additional information, please just ask.)

15. Brokor

prb-pm-1004.png.
    Alec Bradley Prensado

They're not a budget stick, but worth every cent (especially if you bargain shop). At more than $10 per cigar, you've got to shop wisely. I can get them for about $4 each.

"Sporting a unique 2006 Corojo wrapper, Prensado was completely built around its limited, Honduran-grown wrapper leaf and earned a whopping 96 points by Cigar Aficionado in addition to No. 1 Cigar of the Year Honors for 2011.Alec Bradley Prensado comes box-pressed and features a fantastic blend of Nicaraguan and Honduran premium long-leaf tobaccos. The blend burns slow, even, and exudes flavorful nuances of chocolate mixed with toasty notes of leather and earth. The first inch will leave an intense, spicy character on your palate before slightly mellowing out by delivering some sweet notes that are to die for." -Cigar.com

:5s:
    My personal rating: 97/100 (I will always try to keep some in the humidor)

DSC00206.JPG DSC00205.JPG

16. Brokor

DSC00197.JPG

Graycliff G2 Maduro (Presidente)
    "The original Graycliff 'G2' was a unique release. While most Graycliff cigars come with a hefty price tag, the 'G2' line offered what's commonly referred to as, “affordable luxury.” The maduro version follows suit, and is being introduced at a highly palatable price point. The filler and binder remain the same, so once again you'll find long-leaf from Nicaragua and the Dominican. The major difference here is the dark, oily Pennsylvania Broadleaf Maduro wrapper leaf, which imparts a subtle sweetness and some not-so-subtle spice to the overall experience, really manages to kick things up a notch! Charm and affordability—'G2' Maduro has it all." -Cigar.com

Burn is great, a little fast and that's good for the Presidente. This is an amazing cigar, especially for the price. One of my favorites, for sure. I paid $47 for a box of 20.

Keep these in stock. :5s:
    DSC00198.JPG DSC00199.JPG

17. Brokor

prb-pm-1004.png.
    Gurkha 'G5' Avenger
    "Hailing from Honduras, Gurkha Avenger G5 is draped in an oily Connecticut maduro wrapper that covers a Habano binder and Nicaraguan long-fillers. This medium to full-bodied blend delivers a complexity that will satisfy your palate. Expect to meet notes of cocoa, earth, and pepper as this cigar delivers a razor-sharp burn. With superior construction, Gurkha Avenger G5 settles the score." -Cigar.com

Very flavorful, worth every second I spent smoking it. :4.5s:
    DSC00160.JPG DSC00161.JPG DSC00162.JPG DSC00163.JPG

18. Brokor

ghu-pm-1012.
    Gurkha Hudson Bay ("Red Skies") Torpedo
    "For Hudson Bay, Kaizad Hansotia utilizes well-aged Nicaraguan long-fillers from Estelí, Ometepe and Condega, and teams them up with a luscious, natural San Andrés wrapper. The result is a smooth, medium-bodied delight with rich notes of cedar, spice, and pepper. It's a perfect balance putting forth a nice kick in the flavor department, while remaining cool and refined on the palate." -Cigar.com

High quality construction and tobacco. Smooth, even bodied medium. :4s:
    DSC00190.JPG

DSC00191.JPG DSC00193.JPG DSC00194.JPG

19. Brokor

Cigar Sizes (and about how long it takes to smoke)
    These are just the most common variety of sizes, as there are quite a few more out there. It's important to set aside time to enjoy a cigar. With experience, comes appreciation for the craft, as it is a way of life for many who make cigars. Most times, a premium hand rolled cigar will pass through hundreds of pairs of hands before reaching you. Cigars are measured by ring gauge and length. I did not specify exact measurements here because they can vary slightly from maker to maker. Some sizes will cost more, usually the most popular, and the most economical tends to be robusto size cigars, but that's not always the case.

cigarillo. Cigarillo
    This is perhaps the smallest, burn time is typically within 25 minutes to 40 minutes.

corona. Corona
    Smaller than a robusto, smaller gauge and not always offered by makers, the burn time will be approximately 30 minutes to 45 minutes.

robusto. Robusto
    The economy size cigar, very popular but not always suited for aficionados because it's not quite large enough to always provide a fulfilling experience and longer burn time. Burn time 45 minutes or more.

torpedo. Torpedo
    Another popular size, one of the more expensive. Slightly larger than robusto, length may vary to be even longer for burn times anywhere from 55 minutes to well over an hour.

toro. Toro
    Much like the corona or robusto with a difference in length, with it being longer, offering a longer burn time. Up to 1 hour or more is pretty common.

gordo. gordo2. Gordo
    Much like the Toro, only larger gauge, these cigars can burn quite a bit longer than an hour despite sometimes being shorter due to the amount of tobacco and how firm they are rolled.

lancero. Lancero
    Lancero size cigars are smaller gauge and quite long, and can burn well past an hour and 30 minutes.

churchill. Churchill
    Often times, set aside at least 2 hours to smoke a Churchill depending if it is rolled tightly or has plenty of tobacco sandwiched inside as filler.

presidente. Presidente
    Slightly smaller gauge as a Churchill, sometimes longer or about the same length. Again, this can burn for an hour and 15 minutes all the way to more than 2 hours.

With the difference in size sometimes comes a different, or varying degree of flavor profiles. A master cigar roller could lay out the various fillers in such a way as to keep this flavor profile uniform, but it's not always perfectly consistent. These are not "good" or "bad" aspects, as every cigar experience is unique to some degree.

20. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Tried a Muwat Kentucky Fire Cured cigar from the Brokor collection and wanted to do a review on it. Brokor already reviewed this on page 2 but I would like to throw in my 2 cents.

The one I smoked is called a Chunky Corona it is 4"x46 and is the shortest real cigar that I have. When I took the first couple draws off this the first thing I thought was this is a very smooth and mellow tasting cigar. I prefer that taste over a strong smoke and it kept that taste throughout the whole thing. It was actually so good that I smoked it down until I could not hold it anymore. Need to make myself a cigar roach clip, just joking. :D

Don't know how to describe the taste since I don't have much experience in this. Just know whether it tastes good or not to me. Another thing I like is the 4" length so you can enjoy one of these within 45 minutes. They come in sizes from cigarillo to gordo so you can adjust your smoking time accordingly.

In conclusion, highly recommended and for anyone wanting to try real cigars for the first time I would definitely recommend this one.

IMG_2303.JPG

1. Brokor
  2. Brokor
  3. Brokor
  4. Brokor
  5. Brokor
    ***** (5)
    Uploaded by: Brokor, Aug 4, 2018, 0 comments, in album: CIGARS
  6. Brokor
    ***** (5) ++
    Uploaded by: Brokor, Aug 4, 2018, 0 comments, in album: CIGARS
  7. Brokor