Chicks in combat? What's next?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mindgrinder, Jan 23, 2013.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

No doubt, it appears to me that what most miss is that once you sign up (at least in my enlistments) you do so at a standard mean test requirment, this for all applicants.

Screw up or just be unable to accomplish a task or test and you find yourself out of the running and painting rocks white at the Base for whatever your enlistment time covered.

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I am, myself a newbee here. if you will accept an unbiased opinion, the Lady just made a better argument than you did. trust me, I will argue with anyone, if I feel I am right.i will also play the role of Devil's advocate (Court Jester) I have ruffled a few feathers here myself, so I can tell you, this is not a stacked deck. You simply came off second. Someone has to. Make a better argument, or concede the point.:)

tulianr and BTPost like this.
  3. HK_User

Check you conversations.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

The Monkey isnt one of "Those" forums. Pretty free reign around here. Also you have to remember there were only 12 of us original founders for a year or two before we went public, so it might seem like we run in packs, when really we are here all the time whether we let you see us or not. We have that ability to go ghost here:eek:
    No worries HK some day that chip on your shoulder will lighten hopefully and you will feel at ease around here. One can only hope.
    :unsure:

5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Equating one's abilities in combat to their ability with words comes up real short in the order of importance. One earns the Crossed Rifles, it isn't a debate won with words.

Back in the day, if a solder enlisted for MP then went OCS and dropped out, he would go to MP school. A lot of the old has been changed and I am non-current.

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

chelloveck likes this.
  7. HK_User

Well since you ask or is that accused.

Sorry Quigley, but when a moderator, no matter how long they have been on the board, has to use veiled name calling to "one line" her reply then having a chip on my shoulder has nothing to do with the discussion.

The rules say no insults, no name calling.

8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

This thread is hosed.

Edit: My apologies kellory, but this thread is hosed..

9. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

This thread was hosed after the title dude...

The implication said it all. It wasn't really an invitation for discussion or even polite debate. Just my two copper clad zincs but I've been watching it go _exactly_ the direction I thought it would since I saw it pop up.

10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I'm not a dude.

Well said and normally I'd enjoy the discussion; unfortunately there can't be a discussion. Best thing to do is let it sink; but there were lessons learned.

Tracy likes this.
  11. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Tikka - sorry, no offense meant. I just rattled it off without thinking, my bad.

12. I've always heard that the two things that cannot be discussed or debated logically and calmly are politics and religion but I guess gender issues would have to be added to that short list.

Mores the pity

chelloveck and BTPost like this.
  13. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

One issue that has been mostly ignored in this thread (my hat's off to yard dart), is that combat involves one hell of a lot more than shooting. And even if we distilled it down to only shooting, there is an enormous difference between qualifying on a range and shooting at someone who is shooting back. Invariably, combat marksmanship is in the range of 30-40% effective at best. I bring this up because there is an emotional aspect to combat. And women are less able to detach themselves emotionally.

Maybe I've been in all the "wrong" units, but during almost 14 years in the Marine Corps, I have yet to run across that elusive "female who can hang with the men". In my opinion, she doesn't exist. I'm 39 and can kick the ever-loving piss out of all the female Marines I know, and I bear the pains of 14 years of service. If I can kick the piss out of them, I can definitely kill them. I haven't EVER known a female who could haul her own weight in the field. And that's where combat happens. Not on a range. Not in the back yard or the north 40.

DoD says standards won't change. Bovine scatology. There is no branch of the military in which females meet the same objective standards as males. The Marine Corps did a study of 318 female Marines. We found that they could do an average of 1.63 pull-ups. Men must do a minimum of 3 to pass in humiliating fashion. For decades, female Marines have been executing flexed arm hangs instead of pull-ups because the Marine Corps says that the are built differently. Exactly. The Air Force did a study several years ago and found that very few females could lob a grenade outside of its lethal radius. Probably not a good thing.

I don't care how well someone can shoot on the range. I care how well they can shoot when it comes time to murder the enemy or save my life. When that time comes, all the females will be at BAS with stress fractures and dehydration issues. No thanks.

Capt. Tyree, CATO and Yard Dart like this.
  14. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Are you saying that if a female soldier were facing down the barrel of an enemy combatant or seeing her fellow soldiers in that position she would have any hesitancy in firing?

Soldiering is a mindset and I don't believe the generalities offered in this thread take that into consideration. Pull a second grade teacher out of a classroom and stick her in a war zone and she's not likely to open fire as quickly as the soldier, male or female, trained in accomplishing their mission.

tulianr, chelloveck and BTPost like this.
  15. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. I've seen it, so I know what I'm talking about. This isn't an abstraction for me, it's my life. If you revere hypotheticals over reality, feel free to put your rear, or your son's or daughter's on the line. But I'm certain there are "good" reasons you can't.

By the way, given 13 years, 8 months as a Marine, I'd appreciate not being lectured on what soldiering is or isn't. I'm pretty sure I've got it down.

Capt. Tyree and CATO like this.
  16. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but your'e right, I haven't lived your reality, only my own which has taught me that we all do exactly what needs to be done when the need arises, regardles of sex. Some of us do it better than others but nonetheless, it can get done

chelloveck likes this.
  17. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

I will have to disagree with you. I'm not mad at you, but a lot of experience walking in my shoes shows me that women just don't have the same capacity to murder that men do. And combat feels a hell of a lot like murder.

18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

We had some thread drift of course because this is such a broad subject for why women should not be in combat arms. As a couple of Monkey's said in other threads " our war stories derailed this thread and I for one apologize if that was the case. The point of those stories is the same regardless of the details. It is a hard life that one train's for daily, with training op's that push one to be on a sharp edge-mentally and physically- to make you fit to survive when you are in the Sh_t and can pull your tired butt thru the action.

As Pyrrhus said
    Though I respect strong women who shoot well and pull their weight on the job- this is not that kind of job. The job description is to kill or be killed......
    You hump a ruck all day long to an objective and drop your gear for the assualt. Just that kicks a guys ass if you are not fit, then you fight thru the mission, evacuate the wounded & dead, rally and move out. Just another day at the office

19. RightHand

I've never been in that role so I can't respond to that except to say tht in a kill or be killed situation, hesitation would not be an option, man or woman.

Since women have not been assigned front line combat in the past, it's kind of difficult to project exactly how they would react in that role. I wish we had at least one Israeli soldier as a member who could add their .02 since they routinely enter combat shoulder to shoulder with women

Yard Dart and BTPost like this.
  20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I served with some IDF in Tel Aviv many years ago but we never got into this kind of conversation. I agree it would be interesting to hear the take of a female operator....or her counterparts from that group.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7