Char cloth

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Huntinbull, May 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

But don't i need char cloth to start the fire ????

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Not if you have some belly button lint.

Brokor likes this.
  3. jswi2374

jswi2374 Neophyte Monkey

I get very good char cloth from an old 16oz. beer can. Cut the can in half so you have the bottom and top of the can as separate pieces. Cut a few vertical slits in one piece so you can fit it into the other. That tab that was originally in the drinking hole, push that back into the hole to mostly seal off the oxygen. Then just add some material to char. I like old socks, towels, sweatshirts, punkwood, grasses and bits of softwood. Put the can back together and cook until their is little smoke still coming out. Let cool and pull the can apart to get your char.
    One thing nobody seems to mention is that anything charred will absorb moisture from the air. Your char will go "stale" if exposed to humidity. Keep it sealed and fresh.

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Tonteldoos, Self supporting char cloth.

arleigh and jswi2374 like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I took some cotton rope and put it in a small Altoids tin and cooked it watching the flame start and stop out of edges of the box and it was done.
    When doing the bow drill, the char cloth lights easily, once a coal is made .
    However it is also jet a easy to use cotton and Petroleum jelly , but you can't make it in the woods.
    DSCN4426.JPG

Motomom34 and jswi2374 like this.
  6. DuxDawg

DuxDawg Monkey+++

Nope. More than two dozen natural materials that will catch the sparks from Flint the rock and Steel. Believe I covered that in previous posts in this thread. (aka Post #28) Also, Paul from Malaysia does an excellent job of covering this in the Advanced Flint & Steel article I provided a link to previously.

Do try to keep up. ;-)
    hee hee hee :-D

Motomom34 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7