C&R guns. Useful tools or relics?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Apr 28, 2018.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Y'all know that AR SP-1's from 67 and earlier are C&R .. and can be delivered to your door .. doesn't need to be WWII stuff any more.
    Just sayin.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  2. ochit

ochit Monkey+

If a rifle cannot keep a 1 inch @ 100 it's a tomato stake not a quality bolt rifle, I have only one that prints just over that I keep for personal reasons. So many points come into a well built rifle, all of those I have could not be brought back to original spec so basically they were receivers. parts were replaced making sporterized rifles so now live again.
    sometimes reloading will help accuracy but most good ammo in a fine rifle will give good results, bullet weight as per rifling twist is also a factor.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I like caplocks and WW2 mostly. Planning on picking up a carbine soon, got a Pennsylvania rifle not too long ago. I prefer old revolvers too, though I don't own anything other than a cartridge conversion atm.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Damn, I almost forgot an other Rifle that rocks the block, the Mighty Krag .30/40! Almost as good, the P1917 Lee Enfield, you want strength and reliability, look no further! And lastly, for absolute Presision, a Carl Gustav CG 63/80 in 6.5X55 Swede! These play in a whole different world, and follow their own rules!

Dont likes this.
  5. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I hear you on that! Just absolutely hate it when someone hacks Up a piece of history. Got a Gwr 98 made in 1917. The previous owner cut the stock down and tossed the hand guard. Did a very nice job but he cut up history!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have enough of the origionals, so when I find a nice Sporter, I don't have any problems modifying it to try out a new idea, or a chambering it was never available in, and don't forget, post war, some of the very finest hunting rifles and top shelf works of shooting art came from some of those old fighting rifles! One of my very favorites is a 1944 Obendourf Mauser 98 that was built by Griffin&Howe in .270 Winchester, and that rifle is amazingly accurate and beautiful to look at and hold! May have been a lowly 98 Mauser that needed a ton of work and wasn't worth restoring, don't know, don't care! I agree, don't cut up the origional, that's not a nice thing to do, but at the same time, I don't mind picking up one that has allready been hacked up!

Oddcaliber likes this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Some of them that were "hacked up" back when new wildcat cartridges were all the rage can be very nice shooters. I've shot Krag Hornet conversions (early .22 hornet chambering with .219" bore), and K98 Mauser actions re-barreled for .220 Wotkyns-Wilson Arrow that were done in the 1930's and 1950's. They're always worth having a look at and can often be had for a reasonable price.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. duane

duane Monkey+++

Showing my age, but I remember dad and gramps talking about that new fangled Garand rifle and how it would waste ammo and ever one knew that the Springfield 06 couldn't be improved on.

9. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

1917 Enfield in .30-06, came from DCM

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

[​IMG]
    Stevens 520/30 Riot gun/Trench Broom...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

[​IMG]
    Johnson 30.06 semi auto....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. hot diggity

Are you shopping for a Johnson Rifle? We have one in the shop, complete with bayonet and scabbard.

13. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

Springfield 1903 A3......

hot diggity likes this.
  14. hot diggity

I'm talking military surplus C&R firearms here, in their intended role.

It's difficult to argue with the fact that a rifle well over 100 years old can deliver accurate fire, at greater range and with more devastating effect than modern small caliber rifles. 80 year old steel jacketed 8mm Mauser and others will breeze through 1/2" mild steel plate at 100 yards and more. (The steel splatter comes back toward the shooter about 75 yards, so 100 is a minimum.) Larger, heavier bullets, even delivered as intermittent indirect fire are going to break things and have an effect on morale.

Relic or not, accurate fire is deadly, big bullets deliver more punch at long range, and dead is dead.

Alf60, Oddcaliber, Dont and 1 other person like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7