Budget Backup Firearms

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GOG, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

X2 and agreed, I posted it because its performance is amazing.

@rjburk
    Well said. It takes a few rounds to find the "groove" when switching between an AR and AK. I wonder how many people can clear a jam quickly.

Not with my life. However, as most of them are already armed, I guess I must.

2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'll still throw out there that my XP with Hi Point is that they are junk.

3. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

@BTPost my carry gun is an FN Hi Power as well. Used to always be a 1911 Commander, but arthritis finally put me back into nine millimeter pistols.

@rjburk I agree, but having double or more the first line weapons is out of the question financially for me.
    FWIW, I live at my BOL and the immediate neighbors are as close and trusted as family. There is a small group of us and we're very tight and pretty well supplied and armed. Could someone turn? It's always a possibility but not likely with these folks.

I can't prepare for every eventuality, but I've been doing this for a long time and am about as prepared as possible for most any eventuality. When my time comes, I'm okay with my Maker and nobody lives forever anyway.

This kind of crosses over to the TOTM "when is enough enough?"

Altoidfishfins and Mountainman like this.
  4. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I have back pistols but am still saving for another AR-15 to back up my new one.

3M-TA3, Altoidfishfins and GOG like this.
  5. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

If one is to have a true "backup" for a firearm, logic and Murphy would dictate that they be of the same caliber and, if fed by detachable magazines, take the same magazines.

The only backups I have that would fit that criteria would be my shotguns, which are all 12ga and don't have detachable mags. My pistols are both .45acp, but don't use the same magazines, while the backup to my AK would be my hunting rifles (or perhaps the AK is the backup to my hunting rifles) which all use different ammo than the AK and have no detachable magazines.

Of course one can never have too many firearms...so I guess I could add an AK and another 45 to the collection.

GOG likes this.
  6. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Yes, two or more of every firearm would be true "back up". However on my budget, the SKS and the FEG HiPower will have to do.

Guns and ammo are like points in Cribbage; never enough. ;)

7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

IMO, in a shtf world, a force multiplier is a need, not a want.

GOG likes this.
  8. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

Well, my .02 cents as far as my personal backups: 12gauge Mossberg 500 and a Taurus Judge chambered in 3in with a 4in barrel.

neither one expensive but rock solid reliable!

GOG likes this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

1. 3M-TA3
  2. Motomom34
  3. Matei
  4. Ganado
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Yard Dart
  7. hot diggity
  8. Oddcaliber
  9. Dont