Bear "Fun", "Jungle" Tools, Ideas and Special / Member Projects

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Jan 22, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

By the way bulletproof vests are not rated for knives, and a throwing knife like this will penetrate any civilian vest unless it has plates. With a knife this heavy, a good arm might just pierce one of those. (I don't have any to test.)
    Vests are warranted for X number of years, then collected and given to officers without vests. (Something is better than nothing) according to my brother in law the cop.
    Sometimes, primitive works better.

Bear likes this.
  2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Yup @kellory ... have actually seen and owned two that were "application specific".... steep angle point with plenty of beef behind it... a "sharp" is always a handy thing to have... doesn't misfire, minimum failures and you never run out of ammo, quiet and "up close and personal"... unless of course you throw it ;) combine the right two and you have a pretty good "platform" for almost anything that comes or gets in you way....
    JMHO

Hanzo, kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  3. kellory

Even superman ducks when the gun is thrown.

Bear likes this.
  4. Bear

Aloha Monkeys

Had some time today...

Got these ready for heat treat...
    And..........

Ever have one of those days???...... when you forgot something and remembered suddenly when you saw it ;)

Yup... asymmetrical grinds (chisel grind) tend to warp... sometimes dramatically... by the third sequence... I had what you see in the pics....

But it was a good day ... so they did not go flying across the shop, airborne to the sound of multiple explicative declarations ;)

Nope just laughed and even thought about hanging these up as a reminder....

Yes... these are already being re-done...

"Fun" in the Bear Shop comes in many different ways....

Hope you enjoy the pics....

Have a great weekend all!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF6466.JPG

DSCF6662.JPG

DSCF6661.JPG

Hanzo and Mountainman like this.
  5. Bear

One more for the day....

After all ... this is the "Bushcraft" section...

Repurposed steel... old leaf springs.... almost always... 5160 high carbon steel... these make great knives...

So first you cut them up... then you draw a design on one with a welders pencil... then you cut and grind away everything that is not the knife...

Start to finish 25 minutes...

You could even grind in the bevels if you wanted and have a knife in about 30-40 minutes...

Just have to deal with curve of the spring... need to heat that baby up til it glows and straighten it out...

and then heat it up again and quench it... but I'll do that later...

Here's the start anyway....

Hope you enjoy the pics and maybe "spark" some ideas ;)

Bear

DSCF6665.JPG

DSCF6667.JPG

DSCF6668.JPG

DSCF6672.JPG

6. kellory

I made a crossbow from the leaf spring of a truck, in college.

Hanzo and Bear like this.
  7. kellory

IMG_20150207_193554292.

Witch Doctor 01, Bear and Hanzo like this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

All fit perfect, made one adjustment to the Tek Lok location by rasing it one set of holes. Now the knife fits the back pocket and the Tek Lok is almost undetectable, by that I mean the feel on the belt and body.

Works great, the trigger finger guides the blade into the sheath and the gentle snap indicates a secure knife placement.

Well Done Bear

Bear and kellory like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Basically, anneal and straighten, then temper, and follow with hardening. Do you quench with water or oil?

Back in the old days, we annealed by heating to reddish in a sand bed, then covered with sand and allowed to slow cool overnight. Came out soft enough to chew, machine time was almost nothing. One experiment that worked for annealing was to set the steel in a fire pit till it glowed, then buried in dirt, dug it out two days later.

Hanzo and Bear like this.
  10. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

Hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day!

Some quick pics before I head off to Church.... back later with more details if anyone is interested...

Chisel Ground... zero edge... wicked sharp... 17.5 degrees... edge quenched... Decided they needed sheaths even though a member didn't request one as they are going to make their own... too sharp not to ship with a sheath for safety while they make their own sheath ;) already ruined one pair of gloves and cut my thumb working on these without knowing it....

Rustic working knives... I really like these and I think they will be the first ever that I mark with "Bear" ;)

Black handles with removable scales.... Curly koa with stainless fittings and a palm swell as requested... some old linen brown micarta with brass fittings and a palm swell as well...

Had fun with these....

Back later...

Have a great Sunday!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF6700.JPG

DSCF6703.JPG

DSCF6707.JPG

DSCF6710.JPG

DSCF6712.JPG

DSCF6713.JPG

DSCF6715.JPG

DSCF6716.JPG

DSCF6718.JPG

DSCF6720.JPG

DSCF6722.JPG

DSCF6724.JPG

DSCF6731.JPG

Brokor, Hanzo, Sapper John and 4 others like this.
  11. Bear

Looks yummy @kellory hope they are working out for you ;)

kellory likes this.
  12. Bear

That's great @HK_User ... this is the "Bushcraft" section so happy you were able to modify it to your liking... hope those other extras come in handy ;)

Thanks for the kind words...

Bear

Hanzo likes this.
  13. Bear

Aloha @ghrit ... I've done both... water is pretty harsh but creates the best "hamon" or HAZ (heat affected zone)... most folks call it a temper line sort of a misnomer but works for me ;)

These were done in oil... Texaco AAA (no longer available).... for faster quenches I use Parks 50... not as fast as water but close enough .... want to try water with just a quick swipe with 52100.... anneal, 3 normalizing runs... (love watching recalescence when heat treating... always amazed to see it cool to black then start glowing again when the crystalline structure changes and creates it's own heat during the process)... then heat to critical and a quick swipe to bring it down past the nose of the curve.... then off to tempering....

These were done in the slower Texaco.... and tempered to about 59-60... 3 times....

Yup... heat it to color... then ash or sand for a slow cool... I use vermiculite ... put it in at around 4 or 5 pm... and it is still warm in the morning.......

Hanzo, ghrit and HK_User like this.
  14. Bear

Aloha Monkeys....

One more member project that has just been sitting too long (blame that on the my old tired brain and the supplier ;) )

Bigger than you probably have seen... or ever considered... but probably the last you will ever need ... a good item for a go kit when you just don't know how long you will be gone... or if you will make it back? ;)

Drilled the holes today... one for pinning in a handle (I will probably drill a hole for a second pin to really stabilize these in the handle) and the other well... because ... I think just carrying them as is with a chain works just as well... Simplicity has it's value as well... and you can always mount them later and maybe better if you want flexibility to use each by itself... or leave one home...

Anyway... worked a bit on these this afternoon...

Have a great Sunday all....

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF6736.JPG

DSCF6737.JPG

DSCF6740.JPG

DSCF6742.JPG

Hanzo, HK_User and kellory like this.
  15. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Wind chimes??? LOL, just joking!

16. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

Mark another member project off the list ;)
    Finished this up today... decided it didn't need the pin with the handle and Gflex epoxy... (also decided against any unforeseen reactions over time with the brass and magnesium or the ferro rod - erred on the side of caution)
    Mega Magnesium Ferro Rod with Curly Koa handle... yeah it's a beast... but probably the last one they'll ever need... definitely not ultralight or compact... base camp type gear...
    This is ready to do out tomorrow...

Thanks for looking...

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF6759.JPG

DSCF6762.JPG

17. HK_User

This is the low spot where I found the dead calf, Cattle do not go to the dark areas to die. Figures that the calf was ran to ground and so it went.

I had to make a mounting place for the camera after the loss of the first calf.
    Right tool for the job. Work finished before dark and camera was in place and checked out. Good tools are always a pleasure to have and use.

Pretty crowded spot so time to remove the brush and carve a flat mounting spot.
    Cattle Loss Brusshy area to place Camera.JPG

Dead wood gone and a nice fresh bit of wood to accept the screws for the Camera mount.
    Cattle Loss  Brush removed Camera in place.JPG

Camera in place and time to pack up the tools and head for the house.
    Cattle Loss Machete and Camera.JPG

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  18. Bear

Hope you catch a pic of the critter @HK_User
    Nice to see a tool in action... hope she worked well for you ;)

Bear

19. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Was going to say, that looks like a @Bear special! :)

Hanzo likes this.
  20. HK_User

Yup, rang like a bell when I hit the really hard old dead wood and had a nice thunk when I cut into the Cedar.

The BEAR blade did fast work for me and let me get it all in before dark.

So far not even Yotes have shown in this place but the camera is way slow for the first shot so I'll buy another one of the 1/4 second Cuddles.

Trail cameras can be a real hit or miss and with the now more chance of a cat being in the mix I will have to go to a black flash which then limits the range of the camera. I have hundreds of landscape shots but very few good hits. This all speaks of a real killer and not just a clean up predator. Cats care not for spoiled meat unless they are starving, so putting a camera on an old kill site is seldom more than pics of coons and Yotes. Then again the fact that I have a lot of empty trail shots can be the wind or birds or the camera set too wide.

It's all information to be compiled and sorted and then do something a bit different next time.

This all points to the wannabes that think living off the land or even protecting what you have is an easy deal.

The up keep of the 3 cameras, checking each day, charging batteries and then resetting them has cut into my daily plans and increased my work load b 5X for I run the sites as if hunting so a one camera check takes about 2 hours, in and out, just like stalking a live animal.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    Bear likes this.
  1. Yard Dart
  2. Bishop
  3. Bishop
  4. AndyinEverson
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. hot diggity
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid