Baltimore bridge collapse may have been Cyber atttack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AD1, Mar 26, 2024.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I mostly know nothing about this subject matter. I usually blame plain human error first.

Zimmy, Brokor, VisuTrac and 2 others like this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Folks large ships like this do no only have one engine , and they might only have one prop , but they are generators/ engines say 4 and two motors driving one prop shaft . there is no transmission to select reverse / astern / beta mode ! they just slow the motors and reverse the direction with power. The days of shifting camshafts was lost in the early 30s Stork and a few others did this .. Now if you watch they had a full black out on the ship , a few times , meaning all power was lost . Fuel would be hrs to correct , plus they are on full clean diesel in ports , they switch to bunker when up to temp and just at the 200 mile area off our shore.
    Sloth

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    SB21, CraftyMofo, Tempstar and 3 others like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You don't get paid sitting at the dock, Roll coal and that's what we are looking at.

SB21, CraftyMofo, duane and 2 others like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Another look at high speed

Meat likes this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

Dali was said to have a single 9 cylinder diesel of about 55,000 horsepower and 4 diesel genset of about 5,000 hp. Engine was direct coupled to prop, no gearing or transmission per wiki.

MV Dali - Wikipedia

mysterymet likes this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

After all this kibitzing and speculation, it's a matter of....wait for it....BLAME BRANDON! yep...got it.o_O

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

You are right Chell. The same habit of allowing the swamp to run things, in government and in business, has led to the point of massive failures being the norm. Airplanes, ships, cars, pipelines, power systems, now with AI, they want to add medical care and design, all run by computers. A thousand foot long ship with a crew of 22 from the country that they could get the cheapest labor that could do the job. Add in DIE and they might even be the most qualified to do the job. The Boeing mess and Brandon are just 2 sides of the same coin. You don't have to be qualified, the system, people , computers, or mechanical, takes care of everything, until it doesn't. So going to EV with no plans on how to make, distribute, or charge them with electricity, may well be the same as hitting the bridge. And as with the Dali, we will only know about the system failure when it "hits the bridge".

My DR is a good friend of mine, he always sets up my visits for the last one of the day so he can spend more than 11 minutes with me and give me a good exam. Bean counters and insurance allows him 11 minutes per patient and if he goes over, he has to fill out forms and explain why. They also tell him how often I can have a visit and schedule when.

No matter how well built it is, 60 year old airplanes and ships in military, airplanes with 10's of thousands flight cycles and hours, ships like the Dali with a German design engine built in Korea, about 10 years old and on this projected trip expected to run for 22 days straight, with no backup, nor crew to do any serious repair and has done so for the last about 10 years. It is only 1 of hundreds of ships doing the same thing. It either works or the ship is in big trouble, floating powerless in the ocean or piled up against a bridge pier, or the airplane crashes because the computer thinks it about to stall.

CraftyMofo likes this.
  8. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Accident or not, it may very well be reported as an accident. Some will believe what is reported some will not. A bridge built decades ago, not designed to withstand an impact of this nature and this is the result. Was something faulty with the bridge that contributed to this? Possibly. I remember about 15 years ago the I95 bridge in Minneapolis collapsed during the middle of the day. Nothing hit it, just faulty inspections and failure to maintain the bridge.
    Last year, or the year before the I40 bridge between Memphis, TN and West Memphis, AR had a huge crack in it, even though it had been "regularly inspected". What would have happened had one of the bridge supports been hit while that crack was there?
    Basically most of the infrastructure in the US is old, outdated and in disrepair, it doesn't take much to send us into chaos.

Zimmy, mysterymet, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

This bridge does not have the boat bumpers capable to handle this massive load hitting it.
    Ours do due to boat traffic on the Mississippi river.
    Ships, boat ,tugs and barges get loose all the time here.

Zimmy, mysterymet, VisuTrac and 2 others like this.
  10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Diversity hiring, woke policies, and equity are to blame for this I am willing to bet. The Dali has a record of having accidents. The company which owns the vessel is entirely leftist and hires according to equity and diversity over skill and experience. Add to this the same exact policies of the NTSB and harbor staffing and it shouldn't surprise anybody that a massive catastrophe could occur sooner or later.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Regardless of the cause of the accident, the Port of Baltimore needs to be reopened asap! The closure of the port will be devastating to the city, state, regional and national economies! If this were WW2 that channel would be reopened next week, but the ship and wreckage will still be there months from now while a half-dozen government agencies investigate the cause of the accident!

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Nah, its a holiday and democrats do not work on holidays

Brokor likes this.
  14. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

We all know it's Trumps fault right chello

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  15. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Nah , they're still working,, the holiday just gives them the time off from the stuff they're planning to do to screw us ,,, it just gives them some extra time to think up new ways to screw us .

16. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Yes a slow speed diesel.

17. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

18. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

img - 2024-03-29T205527.137.

Zimmy, SB21 and chelloveck like this.
  19. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

We know it wasn't Trump's fault because he was too busy hawking blasphemous, idolatrous 'Trump' Bibles @ US$59.99 a pop at the time to MAGA cultists.:rolleyes: Well timed for Easter Weekend Christian Nationalist and 7 Mountains Dominionist impulse buyers.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I must say that I'm surprised that there is a massive crane mounted on a barge enroute, or maybe already on site! This is light speed for government operations, which usually move at a snail's pace. Maybe somebody actually GETS how important this port is to the supply chain and the economy! Still a lot of time for everything to come to a screeching halt though, so I'm not holding my breath until the channel is open again!

SB21 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7