An unusually strong solar storm hitting Earth could produce northern lights in the U.S. this weekend

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stg58, May 10, 2024.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration issued a rare severe geomagnetic storm warning when a solar outburst reached Earth on Friday afternoon, hours sooner than anticipated. The effects were due to last through the weekend and possibly into next week.
    NOAA alerted operators of power plants and spacecraft in orbit to take precautions, as well as the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Strong solar storm hits Earth, could disrupt communications and produce northern lights in US

mysterymet and Tempstar like this.
  2. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

The K7RA Solar Update

05/10/2024 "ASWFC GEOMAGNETIC DISTURBANCE WARNING ISSUED AT 2302 UTC/09 MAY 2024 BY THE AUSTRALIAN SPACE WEATHER FORECASTING CENTRE.

"Four halo CMEs first observed over 08-09 May are expected to arrive
    at Earth on 10-May, starting at 1000 UTC +/- 10 hours. G4
    geomagnetic conditions are expected on 10-May, reducing to G3 with a
    chance of G4 on 11-May.

"INCREASED GEOMAGNETIC ACTIVITY EXPECTED DUE TO CORONAL MASS EJECTION FROM 10-12 MAY 2024.

Zimmy and Dont like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The Northern Lights are visible all the way down to the Gulf Coast and the Bahamas, and will be visible again tonight. Here in NW Alabama the skies were dusty rose-colored last night. This solar storm has a potential to play merry hell with anything electrical...it's a CME after all, but I got a plan for that!

4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Playing havoc with amateur radio...

Zimmy likes this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I moved all of my solar panels into the shop trailer which is aluminum sheeted all around.

6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I disconnected all my VHF/UHF and HF antennas...thinking I might even put the radios in a faraday cage.

7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I can't stream Battlestar Galactica worth a damn.

Priorities ohno

8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Not a normal occurrence in SE La.

20240510_211416a.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7