An Old Monkeys Quandary

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by GOG, Jul 13, 2024 at 21:33.

1. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

What make you think that inflated fiat money from a failed nation is going to be worth ANYTHING! Better to have gold or silver, skills, seeds, arms and ammo, etc.!

Zimmy, SB21, duane and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

That is why my Mother, Sisters and I are considering establishing a family trust, to shield as much of our assets as possible in the event any of us are forced to enter a nursing home. " Please GOD, let us ALL die peacefully in our sleep or be dead before we hit the floor..., and at home!" You don't have to be millionaires to have a trust...just a desire and plan to keep what is yours and to pass it on to your heirs. What we do have is some money, 10 acres of land with 3 houses, metal barn and shed, fishpond and well, that we want to provide supplemental/emergency income for family members and eventually go to my great-nephew. Haven't spoken with the lawyer yet, but that is going to happen soon. As I keep telling y'all, "I got me a plan for that!"

Zimmy, duane, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Family trust is great, also homesteading or patenting your property.

Zimmy, duane, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I know a couple of guys ,, they're brothers , their Das had a machine/welding shop back in the 70's and 80s ,, made them boys work after school, and weekends , in the shop , learning the trade , or at least to learn to work for what you get.
    His dad died a few yrs back , and the man had put everything in a family trust ,, but said it saved them a bunch of money in taxes . Might be a good idea to find a good lawyer and set it up .

duane and CraftyMofo like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Last year the DW and I worked up a new will and got all of that in order.
    I filled in my "I'm Dead, Now What?" book. Told the wife to put most of my ashes to the sea and a small amount for the local VA graveyard.

I'm jiggy with the Lord and so ready as I can be for what might roll in.

Zimmy, duane, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

A will is for after you die! A trust is for before and after you die! After a lengthy stay in a nursing home, you might not have anything left to leave anyone in your will! Medicare will take your home, investments and any other major assets, all you and your heirs will get is $2,000 in cash, a used car, and some personal property (clothes, pocketknives, books, dishes, furniture, photos, etc.), not much to show for a lifetime of work and sacrifice. Too many people worry too much about where and how they will be buried, and not enough about family finances.

SB21 and CraftyMofo like this.
  7. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

That’s good advice, Billy. Getting a living trust set up is pretty simple, avoids both taxes and questions about disposition of your possessions, ie who gets what.
    It’s good to set up durable powers of attorney at the same time. This allows you to set up spouse or children to make end of life medical decisions.

SB21 and Zimmy like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7