Air guns for small game hunting...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ricdoug, Sep 1, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Thanks.

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My Daisy 1000 from a bench rest at 25 yards just isn't very accurate. I was showing flyers covering a hand print with the scope provided using Gamo Raptor pellets and Daisy lead pellets, although the groups were tighter with the lead. The trigger is terrible at about ten pounds with the smoothness of sandpaper and the second stage is very unpredictable. I believe the creep can be adjusted some and maybe the trigger will wear in after a few hundred pops but I think the accuracy problem is related to the cheap air-rifle type glass provided, as the iron sights group 1" with the lead pellets. I tend to believe that the higher velocity from the Raptors might contribute to destability.

3. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

RWS Superdomes and Crosman Premiers group the best...

out of my Daisy 1000. The Gamo PBA (Performance Ballistic Alloy) Raptors are TERRIBLE pellets in my tests. There is a Forum dedicated to the Daisy Springers on how to make them better. Ric

Daisy 1000 Forum:

www.network54.com/Forum/392756

4. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

Trigger Mod for the Daisy 1000...

http://webpages.charter.net/guru1/documents/Daisy 1000S trigger (Turkish).zip

5. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

Killed a couple of tree rats that decided to make a home in our garage. The mop-wringer decided that she didn't want any varmints damaging her shiny new house, so she demanded that I pop them.

The boy got a chance to do some skinning and guting, and will enjoy the fruits of his labor tonight for supper.

jim

6. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

The recoil on spring piston rifles can exceed the recoil of many firearms...

as Dave is eluding too. As for the adjustable objective, it helps for rangefinding, but I know many great Field Target Competitors that use fixed power, non-adjustable objective scopes. My favorite AO Scope is a Simmons 6.5-20X44AO 44 MAG. Clear optics with Mil Dots and target turrets and parallax adjustable, even at 20 power, down to short of 10 yards. Ric

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

You can also look at Pyramid Air for guns and reviews . they often have some pretty good deals .
    My next is a Benjamin 45 marauder PCP

8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

A lot of these guns come with scopes mounted when you bring them out of the box. I needed very few adjustments to make mine keep a tight grouping. I’d bet if I was set up on a good solid shooting table, they’d be pinging the same holes.
    I pulled mine out last year , hadn’t used it for a while, run a bore brush thru it , put a little drop of oil down the barrel, fired off a round, and it scared the crap out of me , the thing sounded like a 22 mag going off. Looked into it and they call it dieseling , they say it gives it more power, don’t know if it’s true or not.

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got a .25 call gamo pellet gun from my dad's estate.
    I put it behind a chronograph and found it exceeds the ballistics of a 22CB.
    Propelling a 35gr projectile at nearly 700fps and a 45gr projectile at 550.
    Easy deadly to anything up to fat trash fed racoon size.

SB21 likes this.
  10. MtMoriah

MtMoriah Monkey

I am firing an air rifle here. It is a Diana Air King Model 54 caliber 22 pellet rifle and does well for target practice. I have not hunted with the pellet gun (use a .22lr instead) but am sure it would be effective with squirrel and rabbit.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  11. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

With a little work, most seals can be replaced with a piece of scrap boot leather and a little oil.

1. Bishop
  2. tedrow42
  3. HK_User
  4. Kathy in WV
  5. fortunateson
  6. ricdoug
  7. ricdoug
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7