A Useful Prepper Tool: The Plastic Bottle Cutter

Discussion in 'Blades' started by UncleMorgan, Mar 15, 2016.

?
  1. Yes.

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Probably.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Probably Not.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Maybe, but the price seems high.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Definitely, if UncleMorgan makes it.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Dear @UncleMorgan can you email yourself the pics? and remember to smile.... pretty is as pretty does.... [grouphug]

UncleMorgan likes this.
  2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Pictures tomorrow (I think), but there's one thing I should mention about the French cutter: It's not safe for the little kiddies.

Since the locking screw is easily removed, a young-un will inevitably remove it out of sheer curiosity.

Then the Aluminum slider can be moved too far forward or back, allowing the blade to fall partly or completely out of the handle.

Like, directly into a small palm, for example.

Then a cut could easily result.

With my cutter, the blade is easy to remove--but it absolutely requires a Phillips screwdriver. And the blade is safely recessed so the kiddies can't cut themselves as they are starting a bottle on the cutter, or just handling it all over.

The handle comes with recessed storage for 3 blades--that should be emptied, of course, before handing the cutter out to the kids.

@Ganado: Sigh. Your realize, li'l darlin', that every time you wink at me you break my heart again and also make me your slave for another thousand years...(winks charmingly)

I don't have a smart phone (shudder!) but I do have an old camera that can upload pics, once I shoot them, once I have the finished prototype to shoot, and once I find the damn skinny little upload cable...

On the other hand, I'm pretty good with 3D rendering, so I have some fairly lifelike drawings I can upload. One is all it will take.

But--I have to get some paperwork in place before I go public.

Buy a certain domain name that has unaccountably gone unclaimed to date, for example.

(I thought sure than www.unclemorgansfabulouslittleplasticbottlecutter.com would already be gone, but it's not.)

And what are the chances of that, I ask you?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2016
    kellory, oldawg, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  3. UncleMorgan

As promised, here's a drawing of my Plastic Bottle Cutter. It has a US Quarter included for scale, and shows the major stats.

The brand name is EZPZ, and I'm setting up a website at www.ezpz.bz to handle online sales. That will be much smoother than going thru the Board, I think.

For BOBs and backpacking, I made it light without sacrificing grip space. It weighs less than 1.5 oz, compared to the 4-plus-a-smidge-ozs of the French Cutter.

The standard cutter blade is recessed and positively secured by screws, so it's safe for the smalls. It's easily replaced with only a small screwdriver.

It cuts strips up to an inch wide, and is graduated in both fractional inches and millimeters. The French Cutter only cuts up to 9mm width--which is .357", or just under 3/8".

There is storage space in the handle for three extra blades. (Included) They should be removed before handing the Cutter out to the smaller kids.

The rounded corners are easy on the hands. The lanyard loop is large enough for a hook on a tool board or a carabiner in the boonies.

The slider is large enough to operate easily, and setting the width of the cut is a snap. Unlike the French Cutter, it won't fall off if the thumbscrew works loose.

Nor can the blade fall out at any position of mal-adjustment.

Right now I'm figuring on $19.95 each with free shipping anywhere in the US--including Alaska.

EZPZ FINAL PROD2 .JPG

Motomom34, Ganado, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Nothing more than what's needed. Elegant. ;)

I have a working prototype of a tool for patent, perhaps you and I should talk.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  5. UncleMorgan

Thanks for the compliment.

PM headed yer way...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    kellory likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7