A Fight Over the Right to Repair Cars Turns Ugly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Feb 10, 2022.

1. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

There are some states that have no vehicle inspections for on-road vehicles. All kinds of things happen to vehicles in those states.

2. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I would think one could go to a pick and pull and get an “app” for that...

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Well, integrated computer control systems. You get a small evap leak, all the warning lights on you dash come on and your vehicle goes into reduced power model.
    If it's not backwards compatible and it doesn't have a failsafe design if it loses GPS/WiFi/Cellular signal or vehicle to vehicle connectivity or sensor communication link data, then it'll be a tough nut to crack if one isn't a embedded software developer or at least knows one.

4. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Yep. And there have been some situations in the past where the air quality in and around some cities was especially bad. Even though the state had no inspection requirements the US EPA defined some attainment zones where vehicles based in those zones required inspection and emissions testing. An example was the Gary, Indiana area. Indiana has/had no inspection or smog testing but around the Gary area those vehicles had to be tested. Since air quality improved most everywhere I think most of those zones have gone away.

5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I have the answer for that, OLDER CARS AND TRUCKS!! NO GPS, no data, and no kill switch!

Sobospider, Ura-Ki, Airtime and 2 others like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We need a few gallons of the stealth paint being used on the new bombers.
    I'd be like radar this baby!

Ura-Ki and CraftyMofo like this.
  7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Just stick to the back roads and obey the rules of the road...be the gray man in the gray car, Of course, when you drive an older restored car, you might get stopped by an officer asking about your vehicle and wanting to tell you about the one his father or grandfather had.

Ura-Ki, johnbb, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  8. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

SC has no vehicle inspection and surprisingly one rarely sees a junker on the road. It has been shown vehicle inspections don't reduce the number of mechanical accidents. I've watched these shows where they totally restore an older truck and they don't cost more that a new one------no GPS no kill switch no tracking fix it yourself

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
  9. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I agree you can rebuild or do a lot of big repairs like rebuilt engine, tranny, etc. for a lot less than new.

Inspections for cars are as much about emissions, if not more, than safety.

Be careful with insurance however if doing a major restoration. If you have a 20 year old truck with blue book value of $5k and you put $30k into it with a total refurb and get into a wreck that totals the truck, insurance is only going to want to pay you blue book of $5k even though its really worth $35k. You will likely need a rider on your own policy and be prepared for a fight with insurance if other driver is at fault. Prepared in the sense you have receipts, appraisals, etc. to prove its more than a 5k truck.

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
  10. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Specialty insurance companies will insure according to the request and the proof.
    I had a well liked car and all it took was pictures and a check. I did have to agree on a limited amount of miles as it was listed as a classic. Look in the classifieds of any Hot Rod mag.

Yes I still have the car as well as a 4x4 Diesel. If not driven on the road then good home owners ins will cover any damage from storms etc if listed in your policy.

11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

A word of warning to all of you guys out there, NO woman is going to understand or appreciate your collection of old cars! No matter how well restored they are! No matter how much money you spent on them! No matter how nice they look! No matter how comfortable the ride! IT WILL ALWAYS BE AN OLD CAR!! They will always ask, why don't you sell that old thing and buy something NEW? My Mother and Sisters, I can ignore, but girlfriends are another thing! You would think that a woman would appreciate a man that values and cares for older things, especially since they are getting older every day, but NO! I usually ended up telling them that if I got a newer, flashier, car with all the options that I would need to get a new girlfriend to match. That might explain why I am alone this Valentine's Day, but I do have a nice little car collection, and tractor with farm equipment, and a gun collection. Today I bought myself a rusty Ford disk harrow for my collection of farm equipment, and only my BIL seems to understand! Even after I have restored and painted it John Deere Green, my Mother and Sisters will only see scrap metal!

jim2, Ura-Ki, HK_User and 4 others like this.
  12. HK_User

I'll not confuse the issue about my wife's 1995 Sports Car she purchased new, which now has about 168,000 miles that sets proudly in the shop with new top, all suspension fully replaced and refurbished engine compartment and the engine cam chain @125,000 miles. But i'd be kicked down the road before the car would leave the shop forever.
    Spent about $6k for all the work.
    This year we'll redo the interior.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Wildbilly like this.
  13. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Why can't I meet a woman like that? I tried looking at car club meetings, but the only non-married women had girlfriends of their own!

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Tuk tuk's street legal?

oldawg, Ura-Ki, HK_User and 1 other person like this.
  15. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

A friend/coworker recently told me about how the Sheriff (in mostly right-leaning western NY state) informed a victim of theft of their ATV, that if they didn't have it registered, it was unlikely they'd have it returned to them, even if it was recovered.

Why? Because registration fees bring in big bucks for the state. There really could be no other reason, especially if the legal owner can show proof of ownership. :mad::rolleyes:

16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Stealing and stripping down ATV'S is big business around and abouts

Ura-Ki and HK_User like this.
  17. HK_User

Easy money because some States do not require registration numbers!
    It was that way in Texas until I stirred the pot because I woke up DPS,Insurance Company and Loan Company. Not sure how it is now but my 4 wheeler and Tractor have the same number of Identifiers as VIN number on Autos, so that when you run the numbers you get complete make model and ID number. The DPS came out to the dealer and issued distinct numbers at the dealer before the Loan company would pass the loan paperwork.

That was a side by side and in 2012.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

It's kinda funny that I get to run a serious off road truck on the roads, and even into areas that restrict old rigs, and I get away with it because 1) there are no other rigs that can do what mine can, and 2) is listed as a emergency response rig, so it's exempt from most regulation! It's also old, even by old standards, but it's also brand new, having been completely rebuilt in the last 5 years! It actually runs pretty clean, especially considering there are zero computers to control anything, and it's most definitely an off road truck!

Don't worry though, both my daily drivers have computers up the wazoo, so if anything happens, I'm pretty well screwed!

19. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

That's a good way to lose your nice older car in a divorce...if you are stupid enough to marry her!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Nah, wife bought herself a 2022 Pathfinder, She can tuk tuk on her own.

HK_User likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7