Ideal Survival Rifle

Discussion in 'Survival Articles' started by survivalmonkey, Aug 26, 2005.

1. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Back in the market hunting days for ducks on the Chesapeake Bay they used something called a punt gun could kill 100 ducks with one shot --now that's a survival gun main-qimg-f3347742da6a94af53e05664bdcf1068-lq.

Jerry Fisk likes this.
  2. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

They also tended to shoot sitting birds back then! They were hunting for the markets not sport. Those punt guns were usually fired from boats, across the surface of the water, which resulted in hundreds of ducks and geese bring killed and wounded, and there were usually multiple boats operating in these "hunts".

CraftyMofo likes this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

There is NO single ideal survival rifle/shotgun/pistol, nor is there an ideal caliber! The "ideal" survival firearm is the one(s) you have when SHTF or can "acquire" afterwards! The "ideal" survival firearm is one you can use well! The "ideal" survival firearm is one that you have LOTS of ammo for! The "ideal" survival firearm is one that fires commonly available hunting or military/police ammo! The "ideal" survival firearm is one that you can reload ammo for! The "ideal" survival firearm is one that is robust and will take a lot of abuse! The "ideal" survival firearm is one that you can repair and have spare parts for!
    So, buy lots of different guns in lots of different calibers, but don't forget the ammo, reloading tools and supplies, and spare parts! Also, remember to practice!

Jerry Fisk, CraftyMofo and chelloveck like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yeah, so the 38/357 wins hands down.

5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Not if you come by a shit load of.45 ACP ammo (or 9mm, or 5.56, or .308, etc.) and have nothing to shoot it with!

CraftyMofo and Jerry Fisk like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Elmer Keith says 38/357, The end

7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Beg to differ! Don't know who that sob is and don't care, cause when planning for MY personal survival MY opinion is the only one that really matters!

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

horse.

Jerry Fisk likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

357mag rifle is barely okay where I am.
    I am in the land of high velocity and high ballistic coefficients.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Your a pretty good Ninja, Distance is only a number for you guys and gals.
    I mean heck you wouldn't throw one of the star thingy's at 60 yards.
    20 yards and someone is perforated.

CraftyMofo likes this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

DOWHAT?

12. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I think @Gator 45/70 was referring to a Shuriken. (But then again I was an avid viewer of 'The Samurai', crappy dubbing and all).

upload_2024-1-4_22-47-13.

Ah what the heck....Shuriken throwing ninjas at about 4mins 50-55 secs

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I know what they are, but why would someone bring up shuriken in a thread on survival firearms? Besides, unless you are an expert, with years and years of practice, these are just toys that will get you killed by a pissed-off gunman...unless the points are poisoned, which causes even more problems.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I think you may be having a Young Sheldon moment. ;)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Perception can be a formidable force if required.
    How you see a situation and respond to it can have a significant effect on an enemy.
    If peradventure one were to synchronize several laser pointers at a given point on an approaching enemy, the perception is that many people are at the ready. Would you as an invader press forward or give up and run?
    If an invading sniper is taking shelter behind a boulder, the perception is that he feels safer there, however if that position is rigged it is at your advantage.
    If the wallet you use in public has only a few ones and a minimally loaded credit card, yielding it to a mugger is not so difficult.
    If you don't wear fancy clothing or jewelry, you are less of a target. In some places multi-millionaires wear bib overalls and drive old rusty trucks. It saves a lot of brown nosing, or price gouging.
    A structure that appears empty is more likely to be rummaged through than one that appears occupied. (Home Alone)
    Motion sensor lights even bother normal people walking by and even more those that have bad intentions.
    No doubt having sufficient fire power directly meeting fire power is essential, but if one can avoid it, one might live another day.
    I have met mountain lions and bear, feral dogs in the woods and we parted without incident because I did not fear them or rather show them fear.
    As for hunting, a sling shot or bow and arrows can be formidable depending on the level of training one puts them self.

Tempstar likes this.
  16. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I have been thinking. AR platform with .22 conversion, and the under-mount 12 gauge might just fill the bill.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. fl4848
  2. stg58
  3. BTPost
  4. BTPost
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. OldDude49
  8. OldDude49
  9. HK_User
  10. oldman11
  11. Ura-Ki