Ideal Survival Rifle

Discussion in 'Survival Articles' started by survivalmonkey, Aug 26, 2005.

1. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

i hear you BT, my intent was to say how crazy some of the stuff was on there, as they say YMMV. i haven't experimented with any of the stuff, i'm not a "gambler" i don't like trying to play the "odds". i still have all my fingers & toes, besides if i lived thru the accident, i wouldn't live thru Mrs. Mechstdr afterwards, LOL. :eek::rolleyes:

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Mixing up ounces or pounds of incredibly sensitive primary is crazy dangerous.
    You want tiny amounts like a gram of the crazy dangerous stuff setting off something a lot less shock and heat sensitive.

mechstdr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well, I still have all my fingers, but only have Three Toes left, after a couple bouts of Sepstice… None of those lost toes comes by way of Energetics… It has been a couple of decades since my last State Blasters License expired, and have not been active in that field, in a decade before that… I still can do the Chemistry, as the knowledge is still there, but with my very limited time left, on this rock, I really do not have time to get into the field, further…

duane, mechstdr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Full disclosure: I didn't read through this entire 22 page thread. I read the thread title only. This is my take on it as I see it.

I took my rusty $75 Ruger 10/22 to the range today. Loaded the magazine with the cheapest bulk box ammo I had and busted three clay pigeons at 110 yards with three shots. Then I used the remaining seven rounds to bounce small sticks into the air at 50 and 25 yards.

I can fit the rifle with 25-30 round magazines if necessary, but the factory magazines run well and sit flush with the stock.

So I have a non-threatening looking package that's eyeball accurate out to 100 yards, can take anything from sparrows to deer in my AO, and has ammo light enough that I can carry 1000 rounds in my day pack.

I have nearly silent sub sonic and primer only ammo available and reliability with this model has been 99.9% over the fifty years and several hundred thousand rounds I've fired with the platform. I'll take small caliber accuracy and shot placement over large caliber long range punch any time. (I do usually have a .30 caliber companion piece that accompanies the .22 but its limitations are the the Ruger's strength.

My choice, for my AO. YMMV

5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

AND ONLY WORK WITH VERY SMALL QUANITIES! THAT WAY WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG...AND IT WILL...THE EXPLOSION WON"T BE SO BIG!

duane and mechstdr like this.
  6. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Ruger makes a 25-round magazine, and it also serves as vertical grip!

duane, mechstdr and crowdaddy like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I said they'll be back and they are. 14 different kinds of small primers and 209 primers available at midwayusa right now.

duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Whats a primer?

9. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

A small book briefly explaining something I think.....

Garand69, duane, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  10. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

In west Michigan, for sure. In Rocky Mtns, not so much probably.

duane likes this.
  11. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

FN-FAL, sez I...

duane and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

I wish I could run. Or even trot to the mailbox and back...

duane likes this.
  13. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Best survival rifle -----one you have plenty of ammo for

Jerry Fisk, duane, Zimmy and 2 others like this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

…..you are clearly a man of style taste and class !!

15. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

The ideal survival rifle is the one you are best with. For some that will be a .22lr, others it might be a Henry .357 or .44mag. Quite obviously, there are so many calibers because different rifles have different uses. I have an AR in 5.56, but also .22lr's, .300 Savage, and numerous shotguns in 12, 20 and .410, plus pellet guns. Oddly enough, I do not own a rifle in the same caliber as any of my pistols, other than .22's. Many people advocate that, and if you are a fan of pistol caliber carbines, that works. My wife is recoil sensitive, so I've tended to acquire stuff she likes to shoot in the past few years.

Gator 45/70, Brokor and CraftyMofo like this.
  16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Full steel barrel for AR-7 / Henry Survival Rifle.
    Sporter Barrel Assembly, .22 CAL., Black, All Steel
    I have had one of these rifles for a long time now and I never really liked the plastic barrel with steel lining. The tradeoff with the full steel barrel is weight, but if you're not into the floating aspect and would rather have more longevity, it may be the right move. I suppose in a survival situation, the original plastic with steel lining is sufficient, especially if you do not use it regularly. I do intend to use the full steel barrel only and just keep the lighter duty barrel for an emergency as needed.
    I have also modified an old AR-7 high cap magazine to fit the more modern Henry Survival Rifle, and it works fine. It does have a different feed area and a little Dremel work made it functional.

DSC01120.JPG

Alanaana, duane, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  17. Jerry Fisk

Jerry Fisk Monkey

Think of how long the "Mad Trapper" of Canada survived with so many people after him in really bad weather. He had a sawed off shotgun, a sawed off 22 rifle , a lever action 30-30 and a trapspring knife. He even managed to bring down an airplane.

SB21 and Zimmy like this.
  18. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Just my $0.03 worth

22LR single shot rifle
    [​IMG]
    and a 22LR pistol to go with.

For a center-fire:
    [​IMG]
    brick-shithouse tough, large enough for any Alaska game. Easy enough to maintain in field.
    Strong for a horizonal buttstroke and not break....

alternate
    upload_2023-12-25_8-19-2.
    CZ v.24

both use non-US standard ammo, sadly.

19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Not my favorite gun, very uncomfortable to shoot.
    I'd rather get kicked by a mule.
    Call me an old softie.
    The problem I have with "survival' rifles is that it does not all survival scenarios particularly long term which is what we are headed into soon.
    I think too often people have the wrong idea what they will be facing during such an event.
    For some perspective imagine being shot down somewhere in north Korea.
    Personally, I would want to be rigged with as much ammo as I could possibly carry with at least a semiauto long range rifle.
    Everything there wants to kill you. And there is a chance that those seeking you are better prepared, being their home country.
    If i am being hunted they won't be coming with single shot or black powder, much less alone.
    Factor 2 is adrenalin.
    Sitting in your chair cool and comfortable it is easy to forget fear. Just imagine the feeling hearing a bullet zing past your ear. Worse, not knowing where it came from.
    Once we are without law silencers will be common as dirt.
    Cops in a regular fire fight spend hundreds of rounds of ammo against one perp spending a hand full.
    Just my point of view.

Jerry Fisk and SB21 like this.
  20. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I think it's safe to assume that a survival rifle for this exercise is something which relies upon rule of law.
    I also think it's a solid bet to conclude you'd need a separate setup in a zombie apocalypse.

In any case, I have this option if I really want:

dd556.
    DSC01132.JPG the .223/5.56 and .22LR kit is really easy and convenient. And yes, accurate.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. fl4848
  2. stg58
  3. BTPost
  4. BTPost
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. OldDude49
  8. OldDude49
  9. HK_User
  10. oldman11
  11. Ura-Ki