Ideal Survival Rifle

Discussion in 'Survival Articles' started by survivalmonkey, Aug 26, 2005.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

There's winchester #41 primers over on Graf and sons for $90 per thousand, limit 4,000 and they have winchester small rifle primer cases also available for $430. So you could buy 9,000 small rifle primers and pay a $23 hazmat fee.
    If you have real handguns they can run small rifle primers no problem.
    I have a few bricks of small rifles to use and a few thousand primed brass to do something with before I buy more.
    I can wait a year or 2 before I buy more.

mechstdr, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  2. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

hi, just touching base, for me i have several rifles (bolt,semi,lever,rim) as well as pistols (semi only) some ammo also but not 100,000 rds. of this or that, maybe 10% of that. started buying reloading gear (rcbs press, some dies), but i also a cpl of black powder weapons.
    An uberti .44cal carbine revolver and a 1851 colt navy revolver, a primer maker + chems, and info on obtaining nitrates from soil/urine/etc. as well as making blk pwdr and casting rnd ball molds etc. I feel no matter how much ammo you store or reload, you will eventually run out. being able to "roll your own" is just another option in my tool kit. hopefully no one will use all their ammo having to fight MZB's/dog packs/etc. when the time comes, should be sufficient for dear, small game(not squirrels). have spare parts for all including the b.p. stuff. if i have said anything on this or any other post deemed inappropriate/wrong i apologize now, i have lurked here off an on for a while and enjoy the various threads. I know i'm long winded, sorry.

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

@mechstdr You did fine! I too feel that those who can make, manufacture and work around scarcity issues will have the edge should SHTF. I'd like to see an introduction so we might know more about your interests and a thread about your black powder making and sources of the goods and practices you use to make it. Welcome to the Monkey!

4. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

All i know is i have enough ammo to get more in a SHTF situation if needed, enough .22 mag and LR to get critters to feed me, and enough handgun ammo to get me by untill i get got by someone else.

5. mechstdr

still trying to figure out how to do that, the black pwdr/nitrates stuff i picked up from threads here and other places. the one thing i liked was a post about making blk pwdr without sulpher, all that was changed was the ratio of pot.nit. & charcoal to compensate. right now i am using comm. blk pwdr. i have to sort thru my files to find the info, but when i finally do i will start posting. i'm not blowing smoke, just a lot has happened in the last cpl yrs. had 2 brthr in laws pass within 3 wks of each other, had covid, on friday i had hernia surgery and etc. etc. thanks for the welcome.

duane, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Condolences on your loss. Congrats on kicking the Rona, and quick recovery from your surgery !!

mechstdr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. mechstdr

thanx dunerunner, i typed an introduction, hit the button saying post new thread, and it just disappeared!?!? i must be doing something wrong. been using computers since early 80's, ( actually still have 2 IBM PC's) had to, was at ford dealership, used comp's for training & diagnostics. no not an expert for sure, but comfortable in using them. i was the first at shop to reprogram ecm on lincoln town car, all others tech's wouldn't even touch a computer!! if this needs to be moved, feel free to do so.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Black Power without Sulfur, is mostly done by adding Chlorates to mix while watching the ignition temps while doing your formulations… Flash Temps tell a lot when evaluating different mixes, while trying to find the correct mix ratios…

duane and mechstdr like this.
  9. mechstdr

thanks for the good words all, i hope to post and be on here more, crazy as it sounds even tho retired still busy every day, work is for myself and friends, now do very little side work as i'm tired of being expected to either do work for free or they don't pay when done. i became worried a may be sued etc for B.S.. i'll tell a true story, at a dealer i worked at customer comes in &has a vibration in the front end ( i do/did whl alignments), road test & found no vibration, asked customer when vibration occured he asked how fast i went, i said 65mph ( legal limit), he says no no it only starts at 95mph and gets worse the faster you go !?!?!? nuff said thats just 1 example, i have many more.

Homer Simpson likes this.
  10. mechstdr

sorry, i've wanted to post on here for so long, can't help myself LOL, BT if i remember right original ratio's were 75% pot. nit. 15% charcoal & 10% sulfer, no sulfer was 80/85 pot nit & the rest charcoal, never made any to try,at least not yet chlorates i can get now but ATF considers it bomb making material, don't want any no knock raids at 2 am :eek::mad:. bought my primer chems from 22reloader.com bought tools for reloading 22lr and making percussion caps (#11's) i saw a post on here a while back about it, i understand about mixing chlorates and sulfer :whistle: just trying to make it thru the stuff i & others see coming, i have a pdf on mixing diff primers using chlorates and stephynates ( you mentioned it earlier on a post) again, i thank you BT and many others for you sage advice over the years.(y);)

duane likes this.
  11. BTPost

Do not forget the Azides... All the Pyrodex Powders are Chlorate based…

duane and mechstdr like this.
  12. mechstdr

thanx, BT didn't know chem makeup of pyrodex, know some about chemistry (not a chemist), helped load shots at mine (anfo), but certain chemicals are not easy to obtain anymore. :oops: gotta run for a bit, wife wants pancakes this morning LOL.

duane, Dunerunner and BTPost like this.
  13. Peter S.

Peter S. Monkey

Realistically, the ideal rifle would be any that you could easily get spare parts for, or even a spare one, as well as ammo for relatively cheap and plentiful. As far as I know, the baseline cartridges for a soldier are the 5.56x45 and the 7.62x51 which are what are probably going to be the most plentiful. Even though there is no doubt a lot of 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 ammo laying around, along with the usual rifles which use them, it's not standard and it would be a real birch to try and acquire anything that isn't standard.

duane, mechstdr, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

7.62x39 and 7.62x54R will always be fairly common because weapons that fire those rounds (AK-47, SKS, and Mosins) are very popular due to the Russians and Chinese selling them so cheap. Also, they sold us boat loads of cheap surplus ammo, so people were able to stack those spam cans high and deep.

15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Interesting fact, during the War of Northern Aggression, the Confederacy was able to supply some of its salt peter from bat caves (the accumulated droppings and urine were mined for fertilizer and salt peter). Later, Niter beds were established outside of cities and towns, people (mostly women and children) would place containers of urine outside their homes to be collected and rendered into salt peter, which when mixed with charcoal and sulfur results in a dead Yankee!

duane, mechstdr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The first time that I drove a used 1978 VW Super Beetle that my Father had bought I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel/front-end. I also notice that I was going 75mph and thought if I slow this thing down to about 55mph it should drive and ride a lot smoother and it did! I still have that car 25 years later!

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You can make your own explosives for "sporting arms" it's exempt from most explosive laws.
    I wouldn't recommend selling it.
    Everyone has "bomb making materials" they just don't know it.
    For other explosives only thing you definitely can't make is plastic explosives, for reasons. Because the 1980s I think.
    Tannerite is explosive making materials and perfectly legal to buy in most states. As long as you don't turn it into a weapon such as make a pipe bomb, grenade out of it, add a bunch of nails or ball bearings to the mix, with out the proper paper work. Don't store, transport, sell or use it in a commercial endeavor like remove a stump for some one and get paid or record your self blowing shit up and put it on utube (because you get paid) or knowingly teach someone how to do terrorism with explosives.
    If you do build a weapon like a form1 pipe bomb you can't "misuse" sporting arms propellant in it unless you have an explosive license.

duane, mechstdr, oldawg and 1 other person like this.
  18. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

:whistle:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. mechstdr

watched a few U tube videos, don't know if they're still up, BUT DANG! i saw all kinds of "interesting" and "educational" stuff on there, you can't imagine, some of the stuff i saw was definitely not for the faint of heart, bazookas, grenades, etc. SHEESH!
    i think there will be more than a rifle behind every blade of grass if it comes down to it! :whistle: :sneaky:;)

duane likes this.
  20. BTPost

Just a NOTE here, about following U-Boob Videos dealing with Energetic Materials, Especially those based on “ The Anarchist Cookbook”.. Many of these “Recipes” are very very Dangerous to formulate without a complete understanding of the Process and reaction environments…. In plain language, many will go Boom and self-Detonate during the Formulation Process, which will ruin your whole day, and possibly your neighbors Day as well…
    You have been WARNED!!!!! I post this note, here, as a Last Caution, before I am no longer around.. Please do your own Due Diligence, Research in depth on each process, or leave it alone…

duane, oldawg, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  1. fl4848
  2. stg58
  3. BTPost
  4. BTPost
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. OldDude49
  8. OldDude49
  9. HK_User
  10. oldman11
  11. Ura-Ki
  12. OldDude49