Ammunition, what could possibly go wrong

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by duane, Oct 20, 2023.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

Some of the major brands of ammo owned by Vista Outdoors was sold to a Czech holding company and as usual the venture capitalist made a fortune, but that is capitalism. The companies, Speer, CCI, Federal, Heavy Metal, Bushnell, Heavy Metal, Hoppes, and Remingiton. They also own 70 % of Fiocchi which is a major source of primers. That makes them a major source of primers, with a lot of that being lead free.

They state up front that they intend to supply a lot of the production to the Ukraine and thus in fact decrease availability to those brands in the US.

War could limit ammo supply

That of course comes after the press release that Lake City was canceling all civilian orders in order to fill its military ones. Winchester was making the 556 there and it was about 30 % of that market

Might be more than that as the Biden administration has been said to desire the limitation of such sales. Also might need to give some to Israel as well.

Reports: Army's Lake City Ammunition Plant Cancels Commercial Ammunition Contracts - The Truth About Guns

I don't know all the ins and outs, BT did but he is gone and I miss his knowledge, but various limitations and sanctions have limited the importation of overseas made ammo and firearms, surplus military in particular.

Biden’s Ammunition Ban Is Part Of The Left's Plot To Disarm Americans

I don't even want to get into the individual states as some, California, etc, are doing all they can to make your treasured firearm into at best a non operating, very poorly designed club with no ammunition available or limits of a 100 rounds or less, properly registered, recorded, and taxed of course.

In addition the UN is trying its best to limit all firearms to the Blue Hats and their stooges. A good exxample of this is their pushing of international gun laws, and destruction of excess stocks of ammunition is in South Africa.

https://www.sipri.org/sites/default...-the-south-african-national-defence-force.pdf

Highlighting Ways to Stop Weapons Flowing into Vulnerable Regions, Delegates in First Committee Call for Stricter Export Controls | UN Press

And I must add that the safety and continued support of the white minority in the Union of South Africa as well as some of the other tribes has done so well in a disarmed country. Your opinion may vary on that last statement as mine surely does.

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I sense a disturbance too.
    2 weeks ago the cheapest small rifle primers were 5.5 and 6 cents a peice.
    Now the cheapest I can find is 6.5 cents a peice and there's less places with them.

3. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

This why i place an order middle of last week. Hell its already appreciated more than my stock portfolio this year!

Gator 45/70, duane and Kamp Krap like this.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

It's definitely going to run dry again. Save what you can and prepare.

5. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

11 cents here…been that since early summer. Federal/Winchester/CCI. Never seriously looked at the Aguilas there.

6. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Went on a ammo shopping trip round with my favorite gun and ammo shops. All reported a moderately high run on ammo the entire week. Prices are up across the board. I bought a box or 4 from each shop to support the local small business. What is in the pic came to $214 And just finished up the online order for 10,000 rounds of 7.62N, .45acp. a case of .45LC Defenders .38+P .300WM and half the order being 12gauge #2 shot, 000 and 00 buck and a healthy amount of slugs. Separate order for 10 cases of CCI Mini Mags HP and 5 cases of CCI .22 Maxi Mags hp and a couple of cases of CCI .17s Yeah I really like CCI Rimfire ammo. Did not really need more ammo but one can not have too much ammo......

DSC01036.JPG

Every indicator is the Crazy Train has left the station again and is picking up steam.

SB21, Gator 45/70, mysterymet and 2 others like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The coated subsonic stuff my 22lr guns like I can find.

Gator 45/70, duane and CraftyMofo like this.
  8. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Sure glad several years back I reloaded thousands of rounds in different calibers for all my rifle an sucked them up in food saver bags and stored in ammo cans. If the SHTF i figure I can barter ammo for things I might need.

Gator 45/70, Tempstar and duane like this.
  9. Just bought half a crate of surplus 7.62 x 39. Price was crazy but I'll be even more expensive 3 months from now so just bit the bullet (NPI).

I remember the good old days when if you bought a crate for 200 bucks one of the stores up here would throw in a a free ruskie surplus SKS.

Godspeed

Zimmy, Gator 45/70, techsar and 2 others like this.
  10. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

When the supplies were low I sold components and ammo and resupplied when stocks came back up.
    Found some great prices on:
    [​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and mysterymet like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The gun sellers are reporting an increase in sales.
    Genix Small pistol primers have been as low as 5 and 5.2 cents plus reasonable hazmat.
    Genix Small rifle primers have been around 6 to 6.5 cents plus a reasonable hazmat.
    I went ahead and got 3 cases of genix small rifle primers for 6.2 just Incase.
    If I'm wrong and they eventually go down to 5 cents then I'll buy more.
    If I'm wrong I'm out like $150.

Gator 45/70 and mysterymet like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Now people are bitching on line about optics planet...
    My number 1 rule with optics planet is don't ever buy anything from optics planet. I don't care how good the deal looks they won't hesitate to fu k you.
    Supposedly some people have very recently bought cases of 9mm ammo from optics planet for 20 cents a shot. Paid for it, their card got xharged and everything. Then out of no where their order is canceled, refunded and backordered with like a 18 month projected delivery date, but they have boxes of that same 9mm ammo still for sale, for 30 cents a shot...
    If you're thinking about buying something, better do it now.
    I'm probably going to Walmart tomorrow and clean house on 22lr ammo.

mysterymet, duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Optics planet does indeed suck... located in Northbrook a suburb of Chicago.

Good folks in downstate Illinois but the closer you get to chiraq the more it seems to suck.

mysterymet, duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Truthfully, if you need thousands of rounds of ammo you will die before you can use thousands of rounds of ammo. I stocked up in 1990 when an FFL friend sold me cases at his cost, 7.63x39 for $95, .223 FOR $80, .22 for a penny a round, 9mm for 6 cents a round, and .45 for 8 cents. I also bought 2 cases of 7.63x54r at Roses Department Store and each came with a free Moisin-Nagant rifle. I put all of this aside and only practiced with what I would buy to practice with at market value. Hence when prices got high I didn't shoot much.
    As an aside, a Moisin is one of the great under rated guns. Hard hitting with those steel core rounds, decent accuracy at iron sight ranges, and built like a tank.

15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You know I've read that the 7.63x54r steel-core can be pulled and swedged down to a .308?
    It's claimed the it runs well at a lower charge like in a .308. Just watch the O.A.L.

Tempstar, CraftyMofo and duane like this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I need thousands of rounds of ammo I still have to teach my kid to shoot and I don't fancy my self any kind of good teacher.

I have only ever used .311'' bullets in a 308 with reduced charge. For example in 8mm Mauser in the US saami spec calls for 8mm to be held at 30-30 pressure levels because they're afraid of someone using modern .323'' bulleted ammo in a pre-ww1 gun with a .318'' bore. Naw, in Europe if you have a .318'' gun you're probably a museum and their 8mm ammo hits about 60,000psi if you fire modern ammo in a pre-ww1 gun and if you die you die.
    Plus use hunting ammo. No reason to use ball or AP ammo.

duane likes this.
  17. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Really? Over the period of about 6 weeks I shot about 2k rounds of 9mm and 1k rounds of .40S&W. In a typical range session with myself and either my son or wife (sometimes both are with me), we'll shoot 500+ rounds of 9mm in about an hour. That doesn't include taking classes where we will shoot 500+ rounds while working on new skills. While we don't shoot competitive, I have friends that do and they will use 1k rounds in a weekend not including their practice sessions.
    Fortunately I stocked up on primers when I worked at a range about 15 years ago, I still have cases of Winchester SP primers available, 2 unopened jugs of 8lb powder. I'm learning to cast my own bullets, but I have a supply of FMJ for both the primary calibers we shoot.
    If you are not actively training you might not need thousands of rounds, but it sure does help to keep up with training while supplies are low and be able to stock up when you can.

So what I'm saying, it's all relative. If you only go to the range occasionally, yeah thousands of rounds will last a long time. If you practice and train it will not.

Zimmy, Navyair, duane and 1 other person like this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Supposedly vista outdoors is hording ammo to drive up the price.

I'm glad when I bought my huge primer haul I didn't buy any vista primers for the bulk of it.

19. john316

john316 Monkey+++

Rural King has 9mm FMJ, 115GR,BRASS CASE for $11.49 , 23 cents per round

20. btlook11

btlook11 Monkey

Just a new guy here, stopped at one of our local shops today basically no 556 available had to go to city also one of the big stores last name of Pro all but out also. Had everything else pretty much so if your looking for rounds better get it done soon.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. natshare
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]