Young Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I saw this article in the Washington Post. A growing number of young Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm
    A growing number of young Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm

The article talks about the rising number of educated people who are starting to farm. It makes sense because many of the younger generation, 20-30's are concerned about the quality of food and nutrition. It gives me hope. Farmers markets and road side stands will hopefully continue and people will have access to good pesticide free food. These folks leaving their desk jobs and learning to live off the land are learning valuable skills. I wish them luck and hope this trend continues to grow.

2. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

(y)(y)(y)

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

This just shows that not ALL the Younger Generation, do NOT fall for the BS that they were indoctrinated with in College... And. are looking for fullfillment in Hard Work... and traditional living...

Alf60 likes this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I may consider letting some young farmers work some of my land, However if they are liberal arts majors and anti-American then they can farm the highway right of way, Hope they don't get ran over.

Tully Mars and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Microgreens - the new, and profitable, farm of the urban future.

worth the time to listen - this guy has sales of 4 large a week. 5 workers, 3 of which are part timers. 16K/month less the expense of bicycle borne delivery....how could he not be making doh-ray-me.....

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    3M-TA3 and Ganado like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

This is good.
    One of the things that I thought was rather funny was people, mostly the younger generation who claims to care so much about the environment and/or cares so much about where their food comes from don't actually own any land or grow any food.
    It's like they just wanted the government to force the farmers, ranchers, dairy owners to work in liberal environut fantasy land.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Could it actually be that, not all the younger generation are drinking the Kool-Aid?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

We still have fine young people volunteering for military service too. Not all are braindead libtards.

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think this is proof that whether liberal or conservative, young or old people do care about nutrition. Farming is hard work and when the weather doesn't cooperate it can really be disappointing. Good lessons are learned and those farming know first hand how one week of rain or a huge hail storm can wipe out a crop and leave you hungry. Leaving a cushy office job to work in the fields for little money IMO gives people a different appreciation of life.

avagdu, Asia-Off-Grid and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

farm bot looks interesting thinkin greenhouse set up... waters and weeds for you once you set it up?

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    A total game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 5, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 2, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
    Media

New_digs

I think they approved of their new digs.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I 3D printed dome connectors
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Another quail dome after dark.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 5 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Media

Baby_quail

Welcome to the world, Little One!
  10. Alanaana
    Media

Feeding_time

Quails!
  11. Alanaana
    Media

Flock

Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Everyone loves a room with a good view!
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    These quail egg clippers are a game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Media

First_eggs

I was so thrilled to find that first set of eggs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
    Media

Free_range

It was a dream come true to have a free-range flock!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7