You’ve Been Warned…

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by T. Riley, Dec 22, 2021.

1. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

As I understand it, when you have Chicken Pox, a small amount of the virus settles in your spine. Somewhere. Later in life, with sufficient stress on your system, it comes roaring back, from wheresoever it settled, to wrap only halfway around your body, back to front. The worst place is obviously at the top of the spine, which is where TRiley appears to have had it settle.

I had it when I was 32ish. Started on a Friday. My wife recognized it for what it was when I got home from work. I got to a doctor on Monday, and got a prescription for acyclovir. It helped. Mine started mid back, circling around toward my belly button. Fortunately, mine was a relatively mild case, but it still felt like someone was grabbing a pinch of skin, twisting it hard, then jamming a hot knife in it. Then the feeling would pass, only to repeat at varying frequencies, and with no warning. Can still see the scars if I look for them.

Gator 45/70, HK_User and SB21 like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Well ,, with all of y'alls experience and advice I'll get it. Just got the news from the VA today that I've got the Coof . S'posed to quarantine for 10 days . I get over this crap and I'll get the shingles shot .

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@SB21
    What test did they do to determine you have the Coof ?
    Fauxie Ouchie! get installed and now your the carrier ?
    Sloth

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

WOW!
    My wife had it about 20 years ago. Wrapped around her mid-section back to front with quarter-sized blisters.
    Soon as Shingrix vaccine came out, I got one. I haven't had shingles to date.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    T. Riley, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Good advice, I now go every quarter and get tested for cloistral levels and other stuff?
    Just as soon request the chicken pox test.

Thunder5Ranch, HK_User and SB21 like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

They stuck a swab up my nose to the bottom of my eye socket.
    The way I figure it ,, they'll call anything the Coof.
    I got bad sick the Sunday before Thanksgiving and stayed in bed and didn't eat for 2 solid weeks,, I wasin bad shape ,, never got tested then ,, didn't have the energy to hardly get to the bathroom ,, much less drive around looking for somewhere to get treated. I was working out of town,, didn't know anything about hospitals or doctors offices in the area. Anyway,, I figured that was the Coof ,, and this was just a bad cold . Guess I was wrong . But if the other was the Coof , and this is the Coof ,, then I've had it for a month . The congestion,, and lack of energy is the worst of it,,,, now ,,, back when it 1st hit ,, the 1st 3 - 4 days ,, I just slept in and out of consciousness.

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Yup I had that similar thing / sickness a while back.
    I don't get ill often , but when I do , it's a lay out for 2 weeks , say every 5-8 years.
    Sloth

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

The COOF term amuses me, when my twin sons were little that was their word for Fart in their secret language.

Gator 45/70 and coloradohermit like this.
  9. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was in my 30's and got hit with shingles. In my left armpit and down the backside of my arm (triceps area). Didn't know what it was, thought it was an allergic reaction to some vines (not poison ivy) that we pulled from the neighbors fence. Nope, shingles. Would get flare ups for a few years after, could always feel it coming on as my pinky and ring finger would be tingly, I knew to start the anti-viral meds and it would lesson or eliminate the outbreak before it began.
    Sucks that you have to be 50 to get the shot, but (knocks on wood) I haven't had any issues for several years.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7