WWII in color on Net flix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arleigh, May 8, 2019.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

As a kid I remember the news and certain key names that came up in school history , this though was an eye opener and refresher in that war is about, and it's harsh reality .
    How ill prepared nations were though war was at their doorstep . the greater technology made the difference and countries fell like dominos to Germany with out a fight because they could not resist .
    There was footage I had never seen before and something not touched on that I observed in the flick, were individuals struggling with a bolt action during a fire fight .
    There were so many issues all going on all at the same time and the depression was at it's height as well.
    I believe that if your here at this sight it behooves you to refresh the way things were during this war, because though you may not be interested, it is never the less a reality that may repeat it's self.
    Though you my be a passivist especially setting in the comfort of our homes things can change over night , or in less time than that.
    We already have invading army in this country , just because they are currently quiet doesn't mean the are not plotting, not already in government .

Gator 45/70, Ganado, Meat and 6 others like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

All of the above ,,,true .
    I've seen the advertisement for the show , haven't watched yet , but plan to . I've seen a lot of the B&W footage . The invading armies are here , I believe that . And when I watch the news and hear of the things other countries are doing , I feel there are a few that may be forming their alliances against us . These are really some dangerous times , I believe .

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I remember as a kid watching news reels in a theater and thinking this must be ancient history . I could not believe that it was that relevant to my time, I was so wrong .

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I grew up in the shadow of giants, hero's who went to war in 1918 and again in 1941 to repel evil from abroad, and I heard their stories and looked at their photos and I imagined what it must have been like! Seeing the video footage in Black and White some how makes it seem distant and surreal, seeing it in color makes it seem like it's happening right now! I know what war feels like, smells like, tastes like, I know the nightmares that come, and I know how life is forever changed because of war! I pray every night that I never see war again, that no one in my family ever sees it, but it is too late, both my sons are in the fight now, my oldest has already served 3 tours, and my youngest is on the front lines of the war on terror, drugs, human trafficking, and all the other things you don't hear about! We have been invaded by a large standing army, useful idiots to bring about chaos and destruction for the larger powers who seek to destroy us and our way of life! This army of useful idiots keeps entering our country daily un challenged across our southern border, and they then spread to all the cities and towns across the land, sanctuary cities feed them, care for them, and give them rights you and I have to fight for, and soon, they will begin their jihad upon us, the Great Satan of the west, and we are Infidel in our own lands!
    Dad and I have been watching the color series as we catch it, and it's amazing how much clearer and in focus it is, it looks and feels much closer and intimate, while the ground isn't shaking, the air filled with the horrible smells, and the sounds of death all around, it's pretty damn close, close enough to give a sense of how things were then! And, I can fully imagine it all, much clearer then ever before, because I have been where those Hero's were and experienced the same as them, and yet I feel small compared to them!

Gator 45/70 and arleigh like this.
  5. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I have quite a few WW2 documentaries on DVD. I'm going to have to watch this one.

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

Try this

8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Sometime they play WWII in Colour on AHC.
    It's a good series, very educational. I watch episodes even though I've seen them before.
    Another good series "The World at War" I used to watch back in the 70s, another excellent documentary.
    I really enjoy the interviews with those who were there and the old films.

9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

The have numerous 'WWII in Color' on Amazon so I don't know which one you really are talking about. Did Netflix produce this one or just showing it? There is one I want to see and it was made by the History Channel but haven't got around to it yet, probably won't until Winter. My point here, is much of the old film has now been colored or even digitized so truly it will be the producers and the overall quality of the production that will make it superior to others. Unfortunately, I am on satellite internet which doesn't do well with Netflix since I got only 20 GB...

I got a chance this past weekend to shoot my first Mosin Nagant 7.62 x 54. It was made in 1939 and had a fold out bayonet on it. What a beauty! And, kicked like a mule but I think I must have one. I only mentioned this because of what you said about "individuals struggling with a bolt action during a firefight." I could easily see that happening. BTW today is 9 May - Victory Day, and all former Soviet Union countries celebrate it as the end of WW2 and victory over the Germans. Most of these folks believe they won it on their own, and they actually did pay the ultimate price in blood, but their government propaganda never told them about the huge part the West played on their behalf, especially in the beginning which I believe they couldn't have held on without our assistance or the West's strategic air war which they did not participate. Nevertheless, most were never told so one cannot blame them and they did kill 3+ Germans to every 1 the West killed so...

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and arleigh like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Dad did what he could to discourage us from military service his was so bad .
    As it was my brother was born with out a left hand the military did not want, and I am a true passivist, military did not want so I served fighting fires .
    I could not realize it till years later just before he died sharing with me some of his experiences and hardships in the Aleutian islands the fights Atto and Kiska . His base was at Cold bay he was a crash truck driver /fireman at the airport, though he was involved in so many other battles and heroic events .
    Most of America never knew about this war. so he came home in obscurity .talk about being forgotten.
    One of my uncles was captured at the battle of the bulge and lived to tell about it .
    I realize that most soldiers do not want to talk about it but people that have never seen this way of life do not appreciate the price paid.
    The horrors of war need to be shared with the ignorant . Even the children , obviously children are a big part of war like it or not.
    they might just appreciate life more seriously.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7